E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help!! Misfires at the track. Now misfires at startup and idle.Plugs or injectors?

05-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
luca335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

Unhappy Help!! Misfires at the track. Now misfires at startup and idle.Plugs or injectors?

Ok lemme start this off with my first issue I had with a shop who installed my meth kit without a nozzle. Yes you read correctly!! Spraying meth like a garden hose. But had no problems at all with misfires or backfires due to too much flow. I then installed the m7 nozzle last night. But I have a feeling I fouled the plugs in the process when I had no nozzle. Went to the track today and on the way there I got a misfire on cyl. 6. It aslo gave a me a "tank too low" code. Erased the code. Filled her up with ms103 (12 litres). My procede settings were at 70 UT 0 ign. corr. at the track. Meth mix is 70/30 and min psi was set at 9 and max at 13, 25 min. and 100 max duty cycle.

First run I heard some backfiring and got mulitple misifre codes. Same thing on the second, and managed to get only one clean run. I shut her down for the day and then cooled the car down before heading out. Lowered boost to 60 UT and 30 ign. corr. and misfires still persisted. Decided to not push the car on the way home and shut the meth off. Now Im getting misifres at startup/idle on cylinder 1 only. Car shakes and getting erratic exhaust tone, especially on drivers side pipe (bank 1). Dont intend to push the car anymore but do you guys think its a plug/coil issue or injector. PLugs are only one week old and coils are a few months old. How do I know if its an injector issue rather than the plugs/coils? Gonna take out plugs tomorrow and check it out. Could the meth have fouled the plugs? Would an injector issue be easy to figure out, like finding fuel in the plugs? Thanks for your help and sorry for the novel guys! Heres a pic of what the shop installed. Oh one more thing. The bottom of my charge pipe had a little oil on it mixed with meth. Anyone with meth find the same thing?
Attached Images

05-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

It's most likely due to spark plugs. I had the same problem before at the track with number 5 and 6 cylinder misfire. How many miles do you have on your plugs?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
luca335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

Two weeks old. So maybe a few hundred kms. Did your car misfire at idle as well?
      05-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

every once in awhile I would get a misfire. 2 weeks old you say? Try switching the coils around to see if the misfire follows the coil or stays with the plugs.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Greatest335I
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335I black

damn how much meth you used for 1 run lol
      05-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Most likely plugs as it's happening right on startup..if it was only under load I'd say coils..swap plugs first, if problem is still there then swap coils..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

edit.. hmm

change plugs, and advise.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

question.... what kit is this?
      05-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

thats why you should install things yourself, you'll know its done right.

have them pay for new plugs...morons.
      05-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
they put a hose fitting as a nozzle? WTF...
      05-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
coolingmist
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I 2006 Lotus Elise

Not only did they install al hose fitting as the nozzle to both him and his brothers 335I...even though all nozzles were included and all the paperwork shows pictures of them assembled and the diagram uses pictures of the nozzles.... Oh yea these guys went BACK to the shop to see if anything is wrong and the shop changed the fitting to a new fitting.

Not only all of that...but they ended up calling us to RMA one of the controllers they said was defective. They would not let me do any tech support for them, I asked them questions and it was like "we have installed kits before, we know what we are doing". So I send the shop a new controller at my cost and when I finally get the other controller back...guess what? NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. Of course now I cant sell the controller because they did not return the knobs that were given to them on the controller, the top of it is scrached and all of the wires were cut/crimped.

Oh yea and I ended up sending new injectors to these customers at my cost (international shipping) because I was worried the ones the shop has have been damaged, altered or just plain cursed.

I dont even know the name of the shop that tried to install these kits, but if you know who they are stay away.

Normally, I would stay out of things like this but fact is two customers could have had some serious damage to the car because of this botched job and thats more than enough for me to tell you to stay away.

Sorry to be so negative but this is serious.

CM

Last edited by coolingmist; 05-25-2010 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolingmist View Post
Not only did they install al hose fitting as the nozzle to both him and his brothers 335I...even though all nozzles were included and all the paperwork shows pictures of them assembled and the diagram uses pictures of the nozzles.... Oh yea these guys went BACK to the shop to see if anything is wrong and the shop changed the fitting to a new fitting.

Not only all of that...but they ended up calling us to RMA one of the controllers they said was defective. They would not let me do any tech support for them, I asked them questions and it was like "we have installed kits before, we know what we are doing". So I send the shop a new controller at my cost and when I finally get the other controller back...guess what? NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. Of course now I cant sell the controller because they did not return the knobs that were given to them on the controller, the top of it is scrached and all of the wires were cut/crimped.

Oh yea and I ended up sending new injectors to these customers at my cost (international shipping) because I was worried the ones the shop has have been damaged, altered or just plain cursed.

I dont even know the name of the shop that tried to install these kits, but if you know who they are stay away.

Normally, I would stay out of things like this but fact is two customers could have had some serious damage to the car because of this botched job and thats more than enough for me to tell you to stay away.

CM
well kudos to you for going above and beyond
      05-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

+1 on the above and beyond comment! With support like this, i'm recommending your company for sure!

Quote:

CM
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

CM
Nice job on your end, sometimes eating up cost on things like that can bring more business, due the the type of support.

nice!

p.s THAT SHOP SUCKS
      05-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #15
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

As vie said many times before dave@coolingmist FTMFW!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow...your lucky that you didn't hydrolock your car with so much injection especially when there was no nozzle...Did you at least check the fluid level when they first installed it? That should have given you a sign that something was wrong because the fluid level would show ALOT of meth being used! Change the plugs and go from there
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
gian335
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
As vie said many times before dave@coolingmist FTMFW!!
+1

and yess , that shop majorly f*cked up
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSKILLEDSHOP
"we have installed kits before, we know what we are doing"
Lol, yeah right. In fact they are a vendor here, surprised why they haven't chimed into the thread or apologized publicly for their 3 f-ups
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
gian335
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
Lol, yeah right. In fact they are a vendor here, surprised why they haven't chimed into the thread or apologized publicly for their 3 f-ups

lol, cmon now, there not gonna embarass themeselves by doin that, theyll get shited on by every1. this was just 1 huge headache.

the funny thing is, there own shop car which has an n54, has a meth kit. and they couldnt get a customers car right
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #20
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

someone needs to fess up. That's dirty.