E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > previous s4 owners...

12-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
L8ESTCO
l8estco
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTR

previous s4 owners...

any regrets? what are the impressions? what do like better/worse? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Jch330
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328, BS CB, CA, Nav, PDC

i loved my S4(s), but the E92 is just in a different class, i love my coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jch330
i loved my S4(s), but the E92 is just in a different class, i love my coupe
Ummm, 328i in the same class as an S4? I think not... unless you meant the 328i is a class below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, Lotus Exige S260

Garage List
Smile

First, I have to say that I absolutely loved my S4. The V8 is quite captivating, and I never found any true faults with that car. It was one of the first v8 S4's off the lot (Nov. '03) -- and I drove a total of 55k miles in it. That being said, I am happy with the purchase of my new 335i coupe, that I now have about 1k miles in.

Here is my summary of what I feel differentiates the two:

Things the S4 does better than the 335i
---------------------------------------
V8 Torque: The 335 is a very quick car -- but the S4 feels faster, especially below 3k RPM. In the upper RPMs the 335i has a noticeable "increase" in power, while the S4 always remained fast. From a seat of the pants feel, the S4 was always "ready to go." The 335 does not have that urgency. That being said, I find it much easier to drive the 335 smoothly (mother-in-law friendly that is.)

Gauge cluster display: The full color center display, with the very easy to read white light gauges in the S4 were wonderful. The radio station being presented between the gauges was very nice -- I miss that. The "red glow" in the 335i is not as nice as the S4.

Leather: The silk nappa and alancantra in the S4 feel to me to be of a higher quality than the Dakota leather in the 335i.

Trunk: The trunk was bigger in the S4, and had a nice side compartment to put things.

Spare tire: A real spare in the trunk -- no spare, no space for a spare in the 335i. A problem for aftermarket non-runflat wheels.

Shifter: The feel of the shifter (6-speed manual), and the ease of going between gears in the S4 is superior to the 335s good, but not great, transmission.

Rear armrest: The REAR armrest in the S4 was better, holding a first-aid kit. The smaller, thinner 335 rear armrest is not as nice.

Things the 335i does better than the S4
---------------------------------------
Arm rest: The s4's armrest was horrible. I ended up constantly leaving it in the upright locked position, because I got sick of it being in the way of the e-brake, and shifter. The 335 has better overall positioning.

Engine note: I really thought the S4 would be better sounding (v8 and all), but I much prefer the exhaust note on the 335i to the S4.

Seat adjustability: The seats in the 335 have better adjustability than the S4's otherwise wonderful seats. Because of these adjustments, I find I like the 335's seats more.

Handling: The 335 let's you rotate the back out when you want to -- but doesn't do it without prodding. The S4 never really liked to go sideways. Admittingly I almost never drive this way, but on the occassional empty slick area, it's fun. In "normal" driving, it is easier to pull around a corner in the 335, it feels "lighter".

Road noise: The 335i seems to have a little bit less road noise while cruising on the highway.

Suspension comfort: The 335i provides a smoother more compliant ride. The S4 could get a little jarring over bumps.

Comfort access: This is a very nice convenient feature. I like it, and wish Audi had it. I now consider this a must-have option.

Steering, steering, steering: DRIVE AN ACTIVE STEERING CAR! This single feature is the *BEST* feature I've ever had in a car. Driving any non-active steering car now seems like a chore, and unpleasant. Active steering is most likely the only feature I would not do without if I were to buy another 335. Do yourself a favor, and find a dealer who will give you a 1-2 hour test drive, and drive an active steering car. Then, after that, hop back in your car and you'll see what I mean. 10 minutes isn't enough to understand. It is sort of like when you get a new computer -- at first it seems a bit better -- but then you use the old computer again, and realize how much better the new one is. That is the way I feel about active steering. At first I thought, hmm, this is pretty nice -- no big deal. Then go back to not having it... You'll realize how much you miss it.

Looks: I prefer the lines on the 335 coupe to the S4.

Resale: I lost a fair bit on my S4... it is an Audi afterall... I expect the 335i to be slightly less damaging to the bottom line.

Gas-mileage: I didn't buy either of these cars for gas mileage, however, the 335i has been averaging 25MPG for me (in Phoenix, lots of highway type driving) -- vs. the typically 17MPG I got in my S4.

Things about the same with the 335 and S4
------------------------------------------

Radio: I had XM/Bose in the S4, Sirius/Logic7 in the 335i. They sound reasonably similar. The S4 had 18 sat. presets -- the 335i only 12. The 335i has a center channel, and a little more bass response.

Back seat room for 2: Even though it is a coupe, and getting in/out is harder, space for 2 adults in the rear is similar. There was a little more headroom in the S4, but get the sedan if you want that.

Braking: Both cars have stellar stoppers.

Exclusivity: The s4 is more exclusive, but most people assumed it was an a4. The 335s will be everywhere in a few more months.

Cup holders: Neither car has good cup holders.

I hope this helps anyone with an S4 considering a 335, or anyone deciding between the two. I honestly can't say that either is a bad choice. I would fault no-one for buying an S4 (or keeping theirs!) it is a truely wonderful car. I also think the 335i, mostly because it is a more recently designed model in the ever improving automotive landscape, is a better car today. Pick the car you like.

I don't keep high mileage cars -- so I was going to get a new car. With that in mind, my personal decision was based on a few factors:
1. The 335i was less expensive, but not by very much
2. I had an S4 for awhile, and a change was welcome
3. I drive a lot, and the more compliant 335 was compelling
4. I was dissapointed int he S4's current value, which made me less likely to go Audi again so soon -- especially with the S4 currently being an outgoing model, and the 335 being "fresh".
5. The 335 just looked "hot". Part of the decision was on the emotional "I LIKE that car" feeling.

Anyways, hope this helps.

-Scott
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
Cyruz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
I have only test driven the 335 so far, placing the ED order at the end of the month.

currently i drive a 2000 S4. I really have no idea why all the comparisons are to the 2003+ years of the S4, as it is a totaly different engine with the V8. I have mine set up now at what the audi community calls a stage 2+ ( chip, high flow cats with exhuast and intake), with a bunch of other goodies. stock for stock there is no comparison, the 335 takes it.

what really gets me is the mod capability of the 335. i used to get these funny faces from guys in M3's, 911's, c55, 350z, and g35. and at stock i deserved it. with mods i have done, i will basically walk on all of those cars not even thinking about it, and the look on thier face is so priceless.

yea yea yea, you can go back and forth about the awd vs. rwd and what facorty in germany is better. the audis have amazing interiors and the 3 series not so much, the coupe is sexy as hell and audi really never got one state side with decent power.

I love my S4 and i hate the fact im gonna part with it ( my second one) but whats in store for the 335 i believe will just be insaine and i cant wait.

just my 0.02
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
L8ESTCO
l8estco
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTR

thank you for the awesome replies... still pretty tough comparison... maybe its the modability of the 335.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
Chio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2018 S6  [10.00]
I had my 2004 S4 for 2 years tracked it many times and loved it but it was just time to go.. I had alot of mods but cannot wait to start with the 335. i do love how light the 335 is the S4 is a PIG. and the MPG sucked!!!! of course i do miss the quattro but that is why i have an MDX as another car. because the summer tire do not like cold!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I never did track my S4 -- I had always intended to take it to the drags (it is actually the first car I've owned I *didn't* take to the drags at least once) -- but somehow never got around to it. I'll take the 335i at least once to see what the true top-end power feels like.

I don't think I miss the Quattro at all... Although on winter trips up north it was reasonably nice, I never really put it to use much. I live in the desert... I still have the A/C on during the days, and it never snows or gets icy here. Heck, rain is a real special event. We went 180 days without any precipitation of any kind this year. That makes AWD less valuable.

In a bit of a bitter sweet irony, I received a call from my Audi dealer that the RS4 build date I've been on a waiting list for finally is available... only now with my new 335i I don't need it anymore and my wife has lost interest as well (now has her heart set on a new big vehicle, probably a Cayenne SUV). That would make us an "Audi free" house again. Ah well, the AudiWorld folks never did like the idea of a S4 to 335i swap.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
aRangel
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2010 Silverstone e92 M3

Hey scm6079, your post of the S4 vs 335 comparison is one of the best i have read
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
rrandyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328

nm
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm6079
Exclusivity: The s4 is more exclusive, but most people assumed it was an a4. The 335s will be everywhere in a few more months.

I don't see how 50k cars will be all over in a few months? Well at least it won't be as bad as G35 coupes.... They are standard issue Guido mobiles for Wayne NJ kids
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I talian Stallion NJ
I don't see how 50k cars will be all over in a few months? Well at least it won't be as bad as G35 coupes.... They are standard issue Guido mobiles for Wayne NJ kids
I guess it depends on where you live -- out here (esp. in Scottsdale) $50k cars are not on the expensive side... Not a day goes by where I don't pass a ferrari, countless jags/bmws/porsches and typically some true exotics. I park next to a Cayenne, and an M45 on the parking lot at work... I think this area has more disposeable income than they know what to do with.

Wikipedia says:
Homes in North Scottsdale see median values in the $850,000-$1,200,000 range. North Scottsdale hosts the Barrett-Jackson Auto Show, a collector's auction with many exotic automobiles. In addition to the auction, North Scottsdale attracts car enthusiasts from all over the world for its number of luxury and exotic car dealerships found only in a handful of U.S. communities, including Maybach, Spyker, Panoz, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Saleen, Lotus, McLaren, Aston Martin, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, and Maserati. The area also contains some of the most expensive real estate in the Greater Phoenix metropolitan area, with some homes selling as much as $25 million. Many celebrities have homes here, including...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottsdale,_Arizona

So perhaps my "view of exclusivity" is a bit jaded... And the number of G35s in high school parking lots is a bit grotesque out here as well...

-Scott
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

scm6079,

I drove an Active Steering car today for a short time based on your comments. I unfortunately didnt drive for more than 10mins but did take a few sweepers and tight S turns and thought this feels very sharp, like my Kart. kinda cool.

Then I drove a non ASteer and it felt a bit slow and I could swear the ASteer car handled better. I may have been carrying more speed into those corners than before (328 vs 335 and more comfortable with the car the second time out).

Can you elaborate a bit. My concern is its might be too touchy or it well get confused. Or I'll get confused and over steer. lol. Otherwise it seems like a great tool.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #14
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sure -- there are a few things that I have really come to love. The first came on the first monsoon winds I drove through. Out here we have great weather almost all of the time -- but when it rains, it's crazy. Very high winds, etc. I'm used to fighting with the car, and always feeling "on the edge." Both my S4, and the 330i I owned before behaved that way. On the highway with active steering during high sheer-winds the 335i felt like a rock. Incredibly stable, and always in control. It was obvious from other drivers on the road that I was the only one feeling this way.

Beyond that occasion, the extra level of highway steering control is amazing. Parking lot speed control is very convenient -- and I prefer it, although I would not drop $1,500 for simply high-rate parking lot steering.

When I picked up my 335i there was a small chip on the a-pillar that I had the dealer schedule an appointment to fix. It went back to the dealer about 500 miles after I got it -- and I got a non active-steering car as a loaner. This is when I *really* noticed the change. I had test driven both cars, and preferred the active steering, but only by a bit. It felt a little easier to parallel park at the dealer, which was my initial selling point. Now, after having driven an AS car 500 miles, the non-AS car felt, literally, like a bus. I thought it was silly when Automobile magazine made that comment, but it really is the best comparison I can think of. The non-AS car needed what seemed like un-natural amounts of cranking in the parking lot, and felt disconnected on the highway.

In the mid-speed ~40 mph zone, both cars feel similar. I have never noticed an active steering change while turning, or other "negative" impact. It did take a little bit to get used to in some low-speed scenarios -- but no more so than Servotronic (Audi's steering) or the Lexus or Porsche steering.

We have a few highway on-ramps that are heavily banked and curved, that start from a light. In the early morning, when the highway and onramp are empty, I like to hit the onramp at 50/60 mph -- and you end up feeling a bit like Colin McRae in the AS 335i. It is always sharp, easy to correct and feels "right".

You won't get confused and oversteer -- active steering doesn't take long to feel more natural than regular steering. I understand why BMW is moving this feature across its whole lineup -- it really is that good.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Thanks for taking time to elaborate.... Im calling the dealer to try and set up an extended test of an AS equiped 335 or 328 coupe. Thanks again
Appreciate 0