E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i auto dyno

12-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
G35revup
V3 Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space gray 335i

335i auto dyno

Has anyone dyno'd a stock 335i step yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Yes, it dynoed at 271WHP and I think 275 Wtorque......but they had a hard time dynoing it because it downshifts with WOT under 4k rpm.

The engineering specs say the AT has a 15% drivetrain loss and MT is 13%
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
G35revup
V3 Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space gray 335i

so you are losing about 20 ftlbs tq and around 4rwhp driving an auto. not bad.... considering I have 93 octane here in FL I might get the auto next year....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Weedo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe, 2006 IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35revup
so you are losing about 20 ftlbs tq and around 4rwhp driving an auto. not bad.... considering I have 93 octane here in FL I might get the auto next year....
Well, actually, read here for a comparison of one auto and two manuals on the same dyno, the same day:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38544

Auto stock: 271hp
Auto with Xede: 317hp

Manual stock: 280 for one, 287hp for the other
Manual with Xede: 330hp for one, 348hp for the other

So the hp "loss" was 9hp and 16hp when compared to the two manuals. After the Xede the manuals put down 13hp more and 31hp more.
Sport - Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedo
Well, actually, read here for a comparison of one auto and two manuals on the same dyno, the same day:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38544

Auto stock: 271hp
Auto with Xede: 317hp

Manual stock: 280 for one, 287hp for the other
Manual with Xede: 330hp for one, 348hp for the other

So the hp "loss" was 9hp and 16hp when compared to the two manuals. After the Xede the manuals put down 13hp more and 31hp more.
Just "eyeballing" it, it seems like the difference between MT and AT is about 3% to 5%. Now that we have such great AT gear boxes, it seems like it is just a matter of preferance. Even though I have an AT, I still prefer the MT.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
Weedo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamf
Just "eyeballing" it, it seems like the difference between MT and AT is about 3% to 5%. Now that we have such great AT gear boxes, it seems like it is just a matter of preferance. Even though I have an AT, I still prefer the MT.
There is still a definite advantage in power for the manual, especially with the Xede. But other than that, yes, preference... If you never plan to do any sort of track events and have a lot of stop and go, the Auto is nice. I had a 330i auto and loved it. But the fun the manual gives for not only every day driving, but spirited driving too is just something else! Either way, these cars are hard to beat!
Sport - Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
BMWnewbie1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
There is still a definite advantage in power for the manual, especially with the Xede. But other than that, yes, preference... If you never plan to do any sort of track events and have a lot of stop and go, the Auto is nice. I had a 330i auto and loved it. But the fun the manual gives for not only every day driving, but spirited driving too is just something else! Either way, these cars are hard to beat!
Bullcrap... you obviously didn't drive the auto with paddles. For both daily driving and spirited driving and on the track the paddles are way superior. More fun to drive, faster shifting without taking the hands of wheels beats them all.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnewbie1
Bullcrap... you obviously didn't drive the auto with paddles. For both daily driving and spirited driving and on the track the paddles are way superior. More fun to drive, faster shifting without taking the hands of wheels beats them all.
Objectively, he is right, the WHP numbers being reported are higher with the manual.

However, at the track, the Step with paddles is closer to what F1 and other advanced technology racing teams use than a pure manual. Not in technology, but in practical execution. I'm convinced the difference in lap times between the 2 is far, far smaller than the difference in driver skill, and I would be very interested in seeing professional, expert, and novice road racer back-to-back lap times in each.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

manual is faster than an automatic but you have to be a superior driver, with excellent footwork and an extremely short, slick shift. most people can pull better times around a track with AT since a computer is generally more consistent than a human being. but a good manual driver will smoke the computer any day of the week. plus its harder to launch an automatic at the proper RPM.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
dmeyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68
Objectively, he is right, the WHP numbers being reported are higher with the manual.

However, at the track, the Step with paddles is closer to what F1 and other advanced technology racing teams use than a pure manual. Not in technology, but in practical execution. I'm convinced the difference in lap times between the 2 is far, far smaller than the difference in driver skill, and I would be very interested in seeing professional, expert, and novice road racer back-to-back lap times in each.
I have never seen a step setup that will beat a skilled driver that knows how to properly heel-toe...335i included. I have yet to drive the much-lauded sequentials on the F430 tough.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #11
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeyer
I have yet to drive the much-lauded sequentials on the F430 tough.
whoahaha.. they are considerably faster than traditional manuals in terms of shift speed, rev matching, etc,. Simply insane. Then again, they are real manual transmission (ie, no torque converter). Automatic transmissions (even a really good one like the Steptronic) does soak up a bit more power and doesn't seem to give the driver FULL control. But then again, you can stick it in D and and drive and never think about it again.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 10:48 AM   #12
dmeyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
whoahaha.. they are considerably faster than traditional manuals in terms of shift speed, rev matching, etc,. Simply insane. Then again, they are real manual transmission (ie, no torque converter).
Shiv

I would hope so for $200k +
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #13
Weedo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnewbie1
Gotta love how the "auto drivers" always go nuts over this one. Have you taken your car to the track? If so, how did you do? Don't get me wrong, the Step is a nice trans, again, I owned one. Head out to the track (no, not the 1/4 mile) and see how many of them are running automatic trans cars. One out of 50? Maybe, but not from what I've seen over the years. Heck, every car I drove at Bondurant was a manual. Why? Well, I'm sure you already REALLY know the answer...

Paddles are way superior on the track to a manual you say? Prove it. That's a total BS statement and you know it. More fun to drive than a manual? I know you haven't driven it at the track or even spirited driving around a nice little course because you're not leaving your hands on the wheel the entire time as you say. Sounds good in theory but you can't steer a sharp turn AND "not take your hands off the wheel". Go
out right now and try it...

And please, can the auto drivers not take such huge offense at every single auto/manual post??? Probably too much to ask as its the same over and over again, forum after forum.
Sport - Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #14
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the Step is a nice trans, again, I owned one.
335i Step > any '06 or earlier step... You didnt own a 335i steptronic

They added new hydrolicly actuated clutches similar to those in DSG transmissions to lower shift times to 100ms(m3 smg is 125ms/75ms). They also vastly improved the touque converter to only have 2% more driveline loss than the manual. (15% and 13%). the 330i was not even close. Drive a 335i step, its a different beast.

Keep in mind, the lowest 0-60 number, reported from forum members, and magazines, is 4.8... and that number has been in the auto and the manual.

Obviously the manual is "faster" because of less driveline loss, but the quick shifts of the NEW steptronic cause them get very similar track numbers.

Not trying to start another manual versus auto fight, they both have the strong points...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #15
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

I consider my self a good driver with a stick. However, there is no way that I could match the speed of the shifts and non-existant powerloss of this steptronic. I don't know who would win in a fair match a good MT driver vs. an AT driver. It would be very close. Probably no more than 1/10 of a second between the two. Of course there is more to driving an MT than just how quickly you can shift. For me it is the feeling of greater control. It's kind of like the difference in playing a video game in easy mode vs hard mode. If I can do it well in hard mode, then I have more satisfaction. However, the MT is completely impractical with an 8 month old in the back seat. Thus, I have an AT and am happy.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #16
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Till you start adding modifications to the vehicles, then you start to see a seperation in power between auto's and manual's.

I mean look at it now with just the Xede the power at the wheels:

AT: 317HP
MT: 330HP-348HP

Add a performance exhaust and how much more of a difference is there? Change the downpipes, etc.

They might be close to now, but thats not going to last long. Not wanting to start a MT vs AT fight again, its just facts.
      12-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #17
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude
Till you start adding modifications to the vehicles, then you start to see a seperation in power between auto's and manual's.

Add a performance exhaust and how much more of a difference is there? Change the downpipes, etc.

They might be close to now, but thats not going to last long. Not wanting to start a MT vs AT fight again, its just facts.
That's an interesting thought. As the numbers go up the raw difference increases, but the 2% of difference should stay the same. So I wonder at what point does the raw difference in power outway a normal MT drivers lack of skill. Or does the MT drivers skill also scale downward as power increases? I'm not sure the answer to those questions, but I think they are interested. Anybody up for an Industrial Pysch study?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #18
Ph3n0m73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamf
Even though I have an AT, I still prefer the MT.
With me, almost the opposite.. I'm a MT guy at heart, and I have MT on my coupe, but after my test drive of the AT I was extremely impressed. As a matter of fact, I would've got the auto if I had another grand or so laying around when I ordered.

In any case, both trannies in this car kick ass.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #19
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude

What facts? Did you happen to notice that we only have one Step Dyno'ed so far and as admitted by Shiv, he couldn't get it to Dyno correctly? We also have info that the Step used different gas than the other 2. Did you also happen to notice that there was a bigger HP gap between MT1 and MT2 that same day than between Step and MT1. So far the numbers are kind of all over the place, but all have been impressive.

The only performance numbers I have seen so far are in the non-modified cars and a 4.8 0-60 was posted by a Stepronic 335i. Might the 6MT 335i's be faster than the Stepronic ones? Probably, but that is yet to be proven, and not on a dyno graph, on the track.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #20
Boost335
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph3n0m73
With me, almost the opposite.. I'm a MT guy at heart, and I have MT on my coupe, but after my test drive of the AT I was extremely impressed. As a matter of fact, I would've got the auto if I had another grand or so laying around when I ordered.

In any case, both trannies in this car kick ass.

I am in the same boat... I got the MT, and now I wish I had gotten the AT, because I drove it, and everyone is right, it rocks.

If anyone is considered this as your first AT, give it a shot, you wont regret it, the 335i AT is kickass. I also agree with the posts that you cannot compare the 317hp number to the 348hp number... there are more things that just the transmission that can cause the tunability to differ.

There is a larger difference between the 2 MT cars tuned, than the difference between the lower MT car and the AT car....
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #21
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1
What facts? Did you happen to notice that we only have one Step Dyno'ed so far and as admitted by Shiv, he couldn't get it to Dyno correctly? We also have info that the Step used different gas than the other 2. Did you also happen to notice that there was a bigger HP gap between MT1 and MT2 that same day than between Step and MT1. So far the numbers are kind of all over the place, but all have been impressive.

The only performance numbers I have seen so far are in the non-modified cars and a 4.8 0-60 was posted by a Stepronic 335i. Might the 6MT 335i's be faster than the Stepronic ones? Probably, but that is yet to be proven, and not on a dyno graph, on the track.

Oh calm down princess, I'm not insulting you or any AT guys. When I went to BMW to test drive the car, they gave me an AT 335i. I was kinda disappointed at first but once I drove I was amazed by its quickness. Really impressed. I'm just a MT guy for life or until I live somewhere like NY where I have to stop every 30 seconds or so.

I realize that only one AT has been upgraded with the Xede and dyno'd. We can only go off that one until more are tested. However, its a proven fact that you lose more power in auto's than manuals. As the numbers get higher, technically the gap will widen.
      12-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #22
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Love my auto, at least twice as fast as my AT in 02 330xi, very little detectable delay.
Appreciate 0