E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Repair cracked 19" alloys...

05-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
sabato
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

Repair cracked 19" alloys...

seen a set of genuine 19" alloys which have the infamous stress cracks on them, just wanted to know can they be repaired or are they just scrap?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabato View Post
seen a set of genuine 19" alloys which have the infamous stress cracks on them, just wanted to know can they be repaired or are they just scrap?
As a qualified welder (from a previous career) I'd certainly not fit repaired wheels on my car, where the possibility for the cause of the cracks are fatigue failures. It is highly likely with these failing BMW alloy rims. I know some companies will say everything is fine, but even with x-ray and other testing methods, I'd be very suspect.

It is also difficult to get the correct heating/cooling methods for a metallury that an lot of jobbing welding shops won't even fully understand.

There is concern in the industry that a lot of rims, not just BMW, are being put back on the road when they should be scrap.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

are they the ones where the guy says the 2 rears are cracked and he's been quoted £30 a wheel to have them repaired??????
Appreciate 0