E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Confused about the Xede

12-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
pauly1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nikes

Confused about the Xede

First and foremost I have read the Sticky!

I keep reading about Shiv traveling all over the place to tune various 335s.

I thought when you order the Xede, it's already been tuned to your desired specs based on the mods you have and the octane you run? Don't you just plug it in (so to speak ) and go? What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

The facts that:

1) A custom tune, exactly for your car and your typical gas, will extract a few more ponies and make the mappings more spot on...and
2) The Xede is still being developed
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Bravo1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Accord

Not sure how Shiv plans on doing it with the 335, but considering that the Vishnu website is not updated with a 335 map and install process.. I would have to assume it come preloaded with a base map.

My guess is that he is doing custom tunes on all of the initial 335's to see what is a good margin of safety when creating base map. Once he has everything sorted out, I would hope that it would be posted online for everyone to work on as they please.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
pauly1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nikes

So if that's the case then you should have the following 3 options when you order correct ?

1. Specify your mods and octane and order just the XEDE, you will not a get a total custom tune, but very close.

2. Order the XEDE and the software, (this will definitely cost more) and you will need to be competent enough to do your own tuning.

3. Order just the XEDE and if your mods ever change you need to send it back to Shiv and have it relashed (not sure what this kind of charge there would be for this.)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
Bravo1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1
So if that's the case then you should have the following 3 options when you order correct ?

1. Specify your mods and octane and order just the XEDE, you will not a get a total custom tune, but very close.
Yes very close but you may be able to get an extra 5% by doing custom tuning. So even if you are running non-Vishnu hardware, a tune will always fit you just right.

Quote:
2. Order the XEDE and the software, (this will definitely cost more) and you will need to be competent enough to do your own tuning.
The software is free and very simple to use. Remember this is not a reflash but more like a piggy back computer, so you are reprogramming the computer with the settings that you need and never altering the ECU itself. You can change to a completely different map that you downloaded realistically in about a minute.

Quote:
3. Order just the XEDE and if your mods ever change you need to send it back to Shiv and have it relashed (not sure what this kind of charge there would be for this.)
No need. You can go to a dyno day if you have custom hardware and want to get the max potential, but a base map should be safe unless if you are going crazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Very good questions and from what i know, the responses seem accurate aswell.

Ill see if shiv approves the responses and put them in the FAQ. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0