E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Mix matching subwoofers?

05-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Ea$y
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i E93 '09

Mix matching subwoofers?

One of my 4 ohm sws-8x died. Can I replace it with a 2 ohm sws-8xi? My amp is 2 ohm stable. Any adverse effects from this?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Lee Rambler
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4

the 2 ohm driver will receive more power, and in turn play louder in relation to the other one (at the same input level to the amp, not max volume - which will be reached "sooner" on the 2 ohm driver). So the short answer is no, don't do that.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
sngencarelli
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93

I actually wound up doing this the other week.. I blew (don't ask me how) one of my sws-8's (under the drivers seat). In a pinch, and not wanting to buy another sws-8 (4ohm), I put the stock sub back in.. Worked like a charm.

I figured that the 2ohm stock speaker would play louder, but I really don't notice it at all. Both speakers are being amplified by a MTX JH300 and havent given me any problems at all... I actually think that I'm going to skip replacing the blown sws-8, at least for the time being..

A side note - I may have blown my sws-8 by taking line level inputs from the rear deck speakers (feeding the amp wiring harness). I didnt care for the sound at all - the soundstage was lacking and I couldnt even out the punchiness, even with the gain at 1/4 and bass boost at 0. I tried playing with the crossover, but couldnt get it right.. It must have overamped the speaker (although not sure how I blew one sws and not the other)

As a last resort, I tapped the post amp, speaker level sub output. Turned the MTX gain to 1/4, bass boost at 0, crossover to the highest, and now I'm getting what I consider to be very good sound using the factory amp crossover output. I'd say that it exceeds the Bose on my previous A4, and matches the HK system in the '01 3 that my father once owned.
Appreciate 0