E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 3 Series Safety Accolade... Firsthand Experience

11-29-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
parkersal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328 xi jet black

BMW 3 Series Safety Accolade... Firsthand Experience

A gentleman, Glen E, turned me onto this site and it is impressive. I know Glen from my Boating forum, TheHullTruth, ironically. I wanted to share this recent event in my family, and to thank BMW safety engineers.

My nephew has a 2006 BMW 325i. I just leased a 2007 328xi a short while ago, as well. The looks, engine, and ride are what grabs most who decide on this car, but my nephew experienced first hand its most impressive feature.

He was driving back up to college at Boston College, and was travelling on I84, when an out of control jalopy overtook him from behind, and from the left lane smashed into my nephew in the center lane. He proceeded to lose control of the vehicle and smash through the guard rail, and down a 70 foot embankment. He rolled six or seven times, and came to rest between two trees, which thankfully he missed. He walked out of the car in shock. Emergency personnel took him to a hospital to be sure he was fine, and thank God, he is. The car is so toast. It is a crumpled mess, except for the passenger cage which was totally intact. Our whole extended family shudders to think of what might have happened a tenth of a second either way. He is at school and attending class now, and doesn't want to ever drive again. Understandable.

This is not an ad (I am sure some other cars in this class are designed just as well), and we are so thankful, but now (36 hours later) I thank God he was driving a car with such a strong, well designed cage. I know I am glad he was, and I am glad I am. Drive safe all....
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
bobnaz
BMWCCA/NASA
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe ZP/ZS/Dinan ECU+Exh

Garage List
1999 M3  [0.00]
2007 ZSP ZPP Step a ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkersal
A gentleman, Glen E, turned me onto this site and it is impressive. I know Glen from my Boating forum, TheHullTruth, ironically. I wanted to share this recent event in my family, and to thank BMW safety engineers.

My nephew has a 2006 BMW 325i. I just leased a 2007 328xi a short while ago, as well. The looks, engine, and ride are what grabs most who decide on this car, but my nephew experienced first hand its most impressive feature.

He was driving back up to college at Boston College, and was travelling on I84, when an out of control jalopy overtook him from behind, and from the left lane smashed into my nephew in the center lane. He proceeded to lose control of the vehicle and smash through the guard rail, and down a 70 foot embankment. He rolled six or seven times, and came to rest between two trees, which thankfully he missed. He walked out of the car in shock. Emergency personnel took him to a hospital to be sure he was fine, and thank God, he is. The car is so toast. It is a crumpled mess, except for the passenger cage which was totally intact. Our whole extended family shudders to think of what might have happened a tenth of a second either way. He is at school and attending class now, and doesn't want to ever drive again. Understandable.

This is not an ad (I am sure some other cars in this class are designed just as well), and we are so thankful, but now (36 hours later) I thank God he was driving a car with such a strong, well designed cage. I know I am glad he was, and I am glad I am. Drive safe all....
01 XK8 Conv 98 Navigator
99 M3 (race car)IP,PS1,and CR-3
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

im glad for you guys too. thank God definitely.

well done BMW
      11-29-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Can we see some pictures of the wreck?
Good that everything is OK now!
      11-29-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
parkersal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 328 xi jet black

We don't have pictures, as I don't think that was high on his priority list at that moment he crawled out of the car, but the wrecking crew who recovered the car with a crane could not believe that someone walked out of that wreck. I read something about how the Ford Fusion is getting crappy crash tests, because the cage is not as rigid, and the damage to driver's legs is severe. Man, that car was designed from scratch! These things should be priority one.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Holy moley! Guardian angel and BMW safety FTW.
      11-29-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Wow, you never know from moment to moment what is going to happen life, eh?

After getting rear-ended really hard almost two years ago I was really freaked out to get back into even the rental car for awhile, but life goes on and i'm sure your nephew will drive again, and is a BMW fan for life!

Thanks for sharing!

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
Mr. Smith
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan (Ordered)

do you have any pics of the wreck?

My parents are super psycho about safety, even though i am not a kid they still are always on my ass for having a car, not an SUV, because they think only mass matters, not the actual safety features of a car.

well, thanks for this, it is reassuring that these are safe cars

Comes in January
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #9
Pete335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver

Wow, that sounds scary. Glad he's OK.

I've read countless reports about people that have been in serious accidents in BMWs and almost all include some sort of response from a paramedic, fireman, police officer or tow truck operator who is amazed that anyone could possibly survive based on the damage to the vehicle. Based on what I have read, BMW used crumple zones and "cages" around the occupants and this makes a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
SaskE90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: titanium silver 325i

wow that sounded like a scary crash but thankfully he was able to walk away from it. Its amazing how much time and money goes into making these cars a safe as possible.