E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > For those who lemon'd your car for hpfp

04-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
e320m3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

For those who lemon'd your car for hpfp

If you successfully requested a buyback, did BMW agree or you had to go to court? If the latter, how long did it take? I'm in the process and BMW hasn't agreed to a buyback (just cash and keep car), and my attorney says going to court can take up to 1.5 yrs!

Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

And how many failures of the HPFP have you had? I have had 4 and never even thought of lemoning the car.. It's a 1 day fix at the dealer.. what's the big deal???
You are defrauding them and taking advantage of the system, and in the process making every future BMW and BMW repair more expensive for the rest of us..
I say GET LOST
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
MacFly
Friend's don't let friends drive stock!
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e320m3 View Post
If you successfully requested a buyback, did BMW agree or you had to go to court? If the latter, how long did it take? I'm in the process and BMW hasn't agreed to a buyback (just cash and keep car), and my attorney says going to court can take up to 1.5 yrs!

my HPFP went out 3 times on my 535 and my car was lemon'ed quite easily. from start to finish, it took about 5 weeks to get the check in my hands and car surrendered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
And how many failures of the HPFP have you had? I have had 4 and never even thought of lemoning the car.. It's a 1 day fix at the dealer.. what's the big deal???
You are defrauding them and taking advantage of the system, and in the process making every future BMW and BMW repair more expensive for the rest of us..
I say GET LOST
lol...4 times?! just wait til it goes out when you're at highway speeds with your family in the car. then ask yourself, "what's the big deal"?

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sure like that's what happened to you with no warnings or long cranks whatsoever...
PUHLEASE !!!!! Another asshole trying to drive their car for free for a couple of years and then goes back crying LEMON LAW to get their money back after they have enjoyed the car the whole time they had it
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
MacFly
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Sure like that's what happened to you with no warnings or long cranks whatsoever...
PUHLEASE !!!!! Another asshole trying to drive their car for free for a couple of years and then goes back crying LEMON LAW to get their money back after they have enjoyed the car the whole time they had it
you're a moron! simply put.

and you're the asshole that paid all that money for a LEMON and keeps crawling back to BMW to get it fixed....4 times!

go F yourself!

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
I say GET LOST
Or maybe if people keep lemoning their car, BMW will put the money into proper R&D for a fuel pump that actually works?

It's BMW that is taking advantage of the system by putting in faulty fuel pumps as a "fix" for failed ones since it's the cheaper option for them.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
inthemiddle
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I just replaced my third.. i'm on my 4th as of yesterday.....

1st one .. long cranks - replaced

2nd NO LONG CRANKS - just went to start it in the morning and it would barely run at all.... (this one was creepy... coulda happened any time.. no warning.. on vacation, middle of nowhere..etc.. thankfully i was at home)

3rd... long cranks for 6 months, finally started running poorly on cold starts, then got rapidly worse over the week...

So for me.. there was one with NO WARNING....

I carry a spare at all times now.. and can swap it myself in 2 hours.. but it sucks that i have to do that on a 50K car..... so if you ask me, as others have noted... BMW is taking advantage of us !!

3 failures in 40k miles... that's unacceptable.... will i lemon the car ? no.. cause even if i got another 335i there is no reason it would be any better.... do i live with it yes, am i happy with BMW, NO !!!!!!!

(they also wont swap out a failed pump for a new one unless THEY change it out.... so my choice is $350 each time and 2 hours of my labor at my convenience... or 2-3 hours of dealing with the dealer, drop off, pick up..etc... on THEIR SCHEDULE (aka, make apt a couple days out) as well as being without MY car for a 1-4 days)

i'd rather spend the 350 than deal with their incompetence... and busy schedule.... not to mention things like they insist on washing (and putting micro scratches in my paint) when i tell them NOT to.... .. and want to reprogram (which means i have to reprogram all my stuff after, radio, seat position..etc..etc.. EVERY TIME) ... it's BS.... they suck....

if someone wants to lemon their car and go buy a different brand.. i'm all for it.... BMW deserves it.... I wont be buying another after seeing how they handled this.... that said... the N54 is a great tuning platform... so i am keeping it, and just accept that they suck and they wont get any future business.... (also pissed....cause they should at least sell the HPFP at cost..... and you know they aren't doing that either)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you... There you go. Now that's a responsible adult
He likes the car, he deals with the problems it has. He does not go back crying for his money back after having enjoyed the car for a year or two...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly View Post
you're a moron! simply put.

and you're the asshole that paid all that money for a LEMON and keeps crawling back to BMW to get it fixed....4 times!

go F yourself!

Guess I deserve that for calling you an asshole, however I am not crawling back to BMW, I have merely made the decision that despite its faults, I still love my car and there is no other brand out there I would rather be driving (that I can afford at least), and what do I get in exchange? A great relationship with my dealer since they have seen what I have endured with this car, they treat me well, give me the best loaners every time, go the extra mile to stand up for me with BMWNA on warranty issues ...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Thank you... There you go. Now that's a responsible adult
He likes the car, he deals with the problems it has. He does not go back crying for his money back after having enjoyed the car for a year or two...
You don't get money back for the time you had the car.
It's not a 100% refund.

You pay them for miles and depreciation.
You basically get back the trade in value of the car.

They still turn around and sell the car as used.

In the end it works out the same as if you had just leased. (you paid part of the car cost, and walked away with no car)

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
kirby135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
You don't get money back for the time you had the car.
It's not a 100% refund.

You pay them for miles and depreciation.
You basically get back the trade in value of the car.

They still turn around and sell the car as used.

In the end it works out the same as if you had just leased. (you paid part of the car cost, and walked away with no car)

-scheherazade
so what happens if based on ur loan u are still upside down? do u have to make up the diff like in a trade?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Hyper psi-atic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport, 6MT, AW/CR

Quote:
Guess I deserve that for calling you an asshole, however I am not crawling back to BMW, I have merely made the decision that despite its faults, I still love my car and there is no other brand out there I would rather be driving (that I can afford at least), and what do I get in exchange? A great relationship with my dealer since they have seen what I have endured with this car, they treat me well, give me the best loaners every time, go the extra mile to stand up for me with BMWNA on warranty issues ...
I think the point of a LEMON LAW is that it is supposed to "deter" Manufacturers from the ability to keep a recurring problem (mechanical or electrical component) from being installed again. You making a claim that people are taking advantage of the system by attempting to Lemon Law a car that has a known problem since 2007 which has failed to be corrected in 3years by the MFR isnt the smartest statement. If more people used the law that is there to support them, maybe BMW wouldn't take advantage of its customers.

The newest ploy is to have the SA's and Tech's diagnose cars with HPFP failure symptoms as being related to the software instead of the actual pump, thus creating a loophole for them to extend the amount of times a car comes in for "identical" service. Who is taking advantage of who?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by e320m3 View Post

PM sf_loft, he just recently get buyback. People can't post the detail due to gag order as part of settlement.

Strange, I saw a post by someone different who called BMWNA and "expressed" concern about HPFP who got a replied "what can we do to remedy the situation", the replied you got was less than sincere.
In any rate good luck, I heard the buyback(not from experience) is really good deal. BMW deems a car life as 12 years and pro-rate the remaining life in your car and multiply that with the MSRP of your car when new; so yes it's better than selling it in the market as used car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
e320m3
Enlisted Member
Rep

It really does take just 1 insolent idiot to spoil an otherwise perfectly civilized and informative thread that can help other consumers stand up to corporate giants that categorically choose to do the most economical, but not right, thing for their clients.

Four pumps in a brand new vehicle with just 7000 miles, including two separate instances of sudden power loss followed by SES and half engine lights, respectively, the last of which I was merging - make that attempting to merge since the power cut out right at 35mph and almost being rear ended - from a standstill into the 60mph traffic of a 3 lane highway, is more than reason enough for any sane person to chose life over some deluded sense of loyalty to their oh so precious and venerated 335.

To everyone else in this thread who furnished facts, insights, experiences, and feedback reflective of a mature intellect, thank you for your time.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
MacFly
Philippines
Rep

if anyone in CA needs a good lemon law atty, PM me. i was totally shocked at how easy they made it to be. once they see your service history, they'll tell you if it's worth doing. essentially, they won't take your case unless they know they can win it.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
mkaaes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C4S

Did everyone here recieve a letter saying the hpfp now has an extended 10 yr 100k mile warranty? So if it's covered beyond the 4 yr maintanance is there still a out of pocket expense?
      04-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
Hyper psi-atic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport, 6MT, AW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaaes View Post
Did everyone here recieve a letter saying the hpfp now has an extended 10 yr 100k mile warranty? So if it's covered beyond the 4 yr maintanance is there still a out of pocket expense?
Yes. The out of pocket expense is any pain and suffering caused as a result of an owner having to change schedule/plans and go out of their way to bring the car into service.

If you lease your car you are essentially renting the car and making payments on a car you don't have the ability to drive. I don't seem to understand how there could be anyone that thinks HPFP repairs should just be accepted as a normal inconvenience to own a BMW. ?
Appreciate 0