E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Newbie BMW Warrenty Questions

04-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335d se

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
Newbie BMW Warrenty Questions

hi newbie here just joined up recently,

i apologise in advance if this is a stupid question. im seriously thinking of changing to the bmw stable and have a couple of questions on my mind with regard to buying a used car and warrenty:

1. if i buy an 07 car that still has a bmw warrenty until for example dec '10 (im guessing this must have been extended by the previous owner). come december, would i get the option from bmw to extend the warrenty further?

2. for the situation above, does it matter if i buy the car from bmw AUC or not since the car is already under bmw warrenty? (i guess my main reason for buying under bmw AUC is because of the bmw warrenty)

3. similarly to the question above, if i buy a car thats still under original warrenty, for example an 08 plate car, does it matter if i buy the car from bmw AUC or not since the car is already under bmw warrenty?

Im sure there are some easy answers to these questions, i just dont know what they are that all, lol

thanking you muchly for all your wisdom!
g
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

1. yes
2. no
3. no

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
great, thanks for the speedy response BGM
i'll get busy now

i think the main thing for me is the bmw warrenty as ive read that its the main thing worth having (need some peace of mind when spending your hard earned pennies on a mean machine). they only do one warrenty right, theres not different levels is there (i think)?
yeah im new to this badge

cheers,
g
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

there is a comprehensive warranty for the first 3 years, then if you buy a approved used this is extended to a year after you purchase the AUC vehicle.. theoretically you could have a 4 year warranty on the vehicle if you buy it just as the manufacturer warranty is expiring although in practice this is unlikely to happen..

when you come to purchase an extended warranty there are three levels.. however if you get a car with iDrive (and you should), then you will want the top tier so in reality there is only one level

ball park figure for that i think is somewhere between £400 and £600 for the year...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Can you extend the AUC waranty at end then?
I have one and the car was a late 2006.
TIA.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Can you extend the AUC waranty at end then?
I have one and the car was a late 2006.
TIA.
that is already just an extension to the standard warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
smoky joe
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: black

I bought an AUC and there is no paperwork to say what warrenty covers which i thought was a bit strange,
i asked salesman and was told no need if you break down call the no on the back off the tax disc holder they will then sort everything for me.
is that true?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky joe View Post
I bought an AUC and there is no paperwork to say what warrenty covers which i thought was a bit strange,
i asked salesman and was told no need if you break down call the no on the back off the tax disc holder they will then sort everything for me.
is that true?
sounds a bit weird.. but i don't know i didn't buy mine from a BMW dealer.

it was well within manufacturers warranty anyway..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
smoky joe
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
sounds a bit weird.. but i don't know i didn't buy mine from a BMW dealer.

it was well within manufacturers warranty anyway..
Well i dont trust the dealer anymore now anyway.
first i was told that the AUC warranty started from when the manufacturers warranty ran out then i was told the AUC warranty ran from date off purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky joe View Post
Well i dont trust the dealer anymore now anyway.
first i was told that the AUC warranty started from when the manufacturers warranty ran out then i was told the AUC warranty ran from date off purchase.
i believe it is from the date of purchase.. could be wrong though!

which dealer btw? name and shame!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
smoky joe
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i believe it is from the date of purchase.. could be wrong though!

which dealer btw? name and shame!
not sure on the name and shame but Its a dealer in Edinburgh,
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #12
ghosty
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 335d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
there is a comprehensive warranty for the first 3 years, then if you buy a approved used this is extended to a year after you purchase the AUC vehicle.. theoretically you could have a 4 year warranty on the vehicle if you buy it just as the manufacturer warranty is expiring although in practice this is unlikely to happen..

when you come to purchase an extended warranty there are three levels.. however if you get a car with iDrive (and you should), then you will want the top tier so in reality there is only one level

ball park figure for that i think is somewhere between £400 and £600 for the year...
thanks again for the info dude! good to know how much im looking at to factor all these things in. its a weigh up in the 'insurance' and how much it'll cost if something serious went wrong, and i know these bmw's aren't cheap to fix, lol

do you normally have to call bmw to extend the warranty or do you get a call from them when the time is nearly up?

thanks a million! (goes off to look at some e92's )
g
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 03:23 AM   #13
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

if you have owned it from new they tend to call you..

otherwise just call them yourself
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #14
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
that is already just an extension to the standard warranty
Quite.

The 3yr manuf ran out end of 2009, AUC bought last month so that new 1yr waranty expires March 2011.

What I'm asking is what are the best options after March 2011 for this car, and can BMW offer any more extensions or waranty plans please?

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Quite.

The 3yr manuf ran out end of 2009, AUC bought last month so that new 1yr waranty expires March 2011.

What I'm asking is what are the best options after March 2011 for this car, and can BMW offer any more extensions or waranty plans please?

Steve
i see,

sorry, didn't realise dealers even sold used cars out of warranty.. suppose they still hold a fair amount of residual value so it's to be expected.

when that runs out, read this: http://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

the top one is a no brainer on a modern bmw with all the electric gizmos imo

Last edited by BGM; 04-22-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

to clarify i mean out of manufacturers warranty.. i.e. vehicles older than 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

All AUC's (bought from an approved dealer) will have 12 months BMW AUC Warranty.
If the vehicles are younger than 3 years old, they will still hold their manufacturers warranty.
An approved dealer such as ourselves only sells AUC's so all of our cars will have the relevant warranty.

m1bjr, extending your warranty further with BMW at the end of the current period should be possible (provided that you meet BMW's criteria)... I know that there are limitations to purchasing extended warranty including a mileage limitation, above which extending warranty is no longer a possibility.

The best people to advise you on this would be BMW Warranty themselves, their number is 0871 200 0199.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #18
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Getting a car still within its original 3yr warranty is better than getting a car out of the 3yr warranty that then comes with a used approved warranty. They are both covered by BMW but the original warranty is more comprehensive than the used approved one and there are more get out clauses under the AUC. If you can afford a car with one year left of its original 3 then go for that if you can.

I got a 320D that was five months out of its 3yr warranty and when I bought it, it came with the 1yr AUC which to be fair has come in very handy. Either way if you buy from BMW you'll be covered for most things. Its tempting to spend £1000 less by buying private or from a private dealer but when the poop hits the fan that warranty is your friend and got me out of over £2000 worth of parts and labour. Don't forget that hould you have a problem under the warranty and the dealer tries to tell you that its not covered under the warranty scheme they tend to try and help you out , if you are stern enough and put your case well they'll sort things out under the 'goodwill gesture' which is another form of assistance if they know the cars generally at fault. If you are a fussy car owner then buying from the brand is generally the cheaper long term option.

BMWs tend to be prone to their fair share of faults and BMW think we all have pockets as deep an an Arab Sheik but that aint always true.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #19
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF1 View Post
BMWs tend to be prone to their fair share of faults and BMW think we all have pockets as deep an an Arab Sheik but that aint always true.
lol, this! :]
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #20
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Take a look at other warranty providers too. Warrantywise (advertised by Quentin Wilson) looks comprehensive and is clear about what is / what is not covered. I have also read good things about Warranty Direct.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i see,

sorry, didn't realise dealers even sold used cars out of warranty.. suppose they still hold a fair amount of residual value so it's to be expected.

when that runs out, read this: http://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

the top one is a no brainer on a modern bmw with all the electric gizmos imo
Cheers mate.
The link is much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #22
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneka @ Sytner View Post
All AUC's (bought from an approved dealer) will have 12 months BMW AUC Warranty.
If the vehicles are younger than 3 years old, they will still hold their manufacturers warranty.
An approved dealer such as ourselves only sells AUC's so all of our cars will have the relevant warranty.

m1bjr, extending your warranty further with BMW at the end of the current period should be possible (provided that you meet BMW's criteria)... I know that there are limitations to purchasing extended warranty including a mileage limitation, above which extending warranty is no longer a possibility.

The best people to advise you on this would be BMW Warranty themselves, their number is 0871 200 0199.
Anneka,
Thanks for your valuable input also.
Steve.
Appreciate 0