BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Smile I was THAT close....!

Ok. So, early this morning (12:30 AM EST) I was following my folks back to their house on a quiet stretch of back road when all of a sudden I get pulled over. DOH!!!!

On one part of the road, there's a hump with a 4 way stop and then a stretch that's 35MPH. Well, there was a sheriff's car sitting on bottom of the stretch on right side of the shoulder and I watched as my folks passed him and then and a few seconds after I passed him his car lights up like a christmas tree. I don't know if he was going after my folks or me as we were both going about the same speed so I pulled over and then my dad did so too. As I saw the sheriff's car get closer, he pulled up right behind me, and turned on his spot light. GREAT!
After celebrating by brother and sister-in-law's b-day party and watching blue-ray movies (Star Treck, The Hangonver) all evening, I was pretty tired and just wanted to get to bed when this happpened.

Anyway, the guy comes up, taps on my window, and so I roll it down. He asks me for my ID and registration and so I hand it to him. He asks if I live at the location specified on my ID and I said yes (I'm visiting from out of town which is about an hour away).
He looks ahead and asks who the other car was and I said that those are my folks and I'm just following them home. He says "Oh ok." Barely a minute goes by and he asks if I know why he pulled me over and I said yeah I know. He's said the speed limit back there was 35 MPH and he clocked me doing 47. I was expecting to go through the drill, but then he said to be sure to pay attention to the speed next time and handed back my ID and registration. I ok.

As I was putting my ID back in my wallet, I saw my dad get out of the car and ask the officer what the problem was as he was walking toward us. The officer said to him that there's no problem and he got me doing 47 in a 35 MPH zone. The officer, explained that I was probably just trying to catch up with him when he clock me and that everything is ok. He then said that we can be on our way. My father obliged, then got back in his car, while I finished with what I was doing. The officer got back in his car, turned off his christmas lights, turned around, and went back to where he was parked while we continuned on.

In just four months of ownership, I would've christened it with it's first ever speeding ticket, but I got lucky. I think it's because that officer is probably one of several who are neighbors of my brother, including the sheriff. Boy did I luck out on that one.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 04-18-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
      04-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
ibeclueless
What
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

that is good you got away without getting a ticket

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

your dad got a little lucky with him getting out of the car..... cops REALLY don't like people getting out of their car, sorta surprised the cop didn't go into a defensive state as soon as he saw your dad leave the car.

Rule of thumb.... never get out of the car if a cop pulls you over or pulls over someone you're with.

Awesome to hear no ticket though
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
jt335i
Major
Rep

Thanks fellas. Yeah. I really dodged a bullet on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
your dad got a little lucky with him getting out of the car..... cops REALLY don't like people getting out of their car, sorta surprised the cop didn't go into a defensive state as soon as he saw your dad leave the car.

Rule of thumb.... never get out of the car if a cop pulls you over or pulls over someone you're with.

Awesome to hear no ticket though
I was thinking the same thing about my pops when he got out of the car, but, then again I thought about something. My folks have lived in this small town/county for well over 30 years and they're pretty well known by the local law enforcement and the county sheriff as many of them are his patients.

I don't know if my pop knew this deputy, but I figured that's why he got out of the car because he knows members of the county sheriff. However, no matter if he knows them or not, he still shouldn't have gotten out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Wow you're being a little dramatic there guy. It's not like the world is going to end because you get a speeding ticket.

LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Thanks fellas. Yeah. I really dodged a bullet on that one.

I was thinking the same thing about my pops when he got out of the car, but, then again I thought about something. My folks have lived in this small town/county for well over 30 years and they're pretty well known by the local law enforcement and the county sheriff as many of them are his patients.

I don't know if my pop knew this deputy, but I figured that's why he got out of the car because he knows members of the county sheriff. However, no matter if he knows them or not, he still shouldn't have gotten out of the car.

that makes sense, best intentions

I just think of the semi-recent incident with whatever NFL player where his wife got out of the car and started screaming at the cop, and they thought it was 'racist' because of the cops reaction...

Can't blame them for shitting a brick when you get out of the car, their lives are at risk with the most mundane stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
jt335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
Wow you're being a little dramatic there guy. It's not like the world is going to end because you get a speeding ticket.

LOL
Ha ha! Well. I've heard the horror stories of people getting tickets and I've had my fare share, but when I share an experience, whether it's driving or whatever, I like to tell it how it happens and in relative detail so the reader can sort feel what it was like to be there. That's just the way I am. Fortunately, this time, I got away with just a warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
that makes sense, best intentions

I just think of the semi-recent incident with whatever NFL player where his wife got out of the car and started screaming at the cop, and they thought it was 'racist' because of the cops reaction...

Can't blame them for shitting a brick when you get out of the car, their lives are at risk with the most mundane stuff.
Yeah. I'm sure my pops wouldn't do that if he was anywhere outside of the local county area. but, hey, no harm done so all is good.

I understand what these LEOs have to deal with day in and day out, while supporting a family. Me, I just cooperate and do exactly as I'm instructed and don't do anything to make the situation any worse than it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Lucky you.

And I don't blame you for making this a big deal. After I get pulled over, I feel like the entire world had just fallen on me LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Ha ha! Well. I've heard the horror stories of people getting tickets and I've had my fare share, but when I share an experience, whether it's driving or whatever, I like to tell it how it happens and in relative detail so the reader can sort feel what it was like to be there. That's just the way I am. Fortunately, this time, I got away with just a warning.
It's all good...I was expecting a better ending I guess while I was reading your story
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I have gotten out of three tickets. One because of my alumni status getting pulled over by a trooper that graduated from my university. The second was by an a-hole who pulled me over for speeding while another car was passing me. I quickly asked why I was pulled over in my BMW and the Tahoe passing me did not. He gave me a 'warning' and let me go.

The third (which I have yet to understand why)... I was going triple digit speeds in a 65 zone, and nothing. It seemed like something important happened at just the right time and I got no ticket as the officer zoomed off.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #13
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
I have gotten out of three tickets. One because of my alumni status getting pulled over by a trooper that graduated from my university. The second was by an a-hole who pulled me over for speeding while another car was passing me. I quickly asked why I was pulled over in my BMW and the Tahoe passing me did not. He gave me a 'warning' and let me go.

The third (which I have yet to understand why)... I was going triple digit speeds in a 65 zone, and nothing. It seemed like something important happened at just the right time and I got no ticket as the officer zoomed off.

Probably had to drop a massive shit..lol
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0