E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What's the whole fuss about exhaust+xede?

11-23-2006, 03:33 AM   #1
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

What's the whole fuss about exhaust+xede?

Hi people,
So i have been reading alot of posts here lately about vishnu's mod on the
E92.
Now I am not the type of person to modify my car especially a bmw.
I mean i'm not 18 anymore or driving a honda...
The only thing i would do is add some tints and rims.
But from what i understand vishnu's mod really adds to the power of this already very powerful car.
To be quite honest i have skimmed through the posts and all the detailed graphs and whatnot are very confusing to me.
I honestly don't understand a thing.
What is the bottom line here.
What exactly is being done?
Changing the exhaust system and a chip?? What is xede??
What are the results?
Most importantly does it void the warranty? Does it harm the car in any way?
I read somewhere that it costs 3000$ ... 3000$ for an exhaust and a chip?
Am i getting something wrong here?
I mean i would love to add horsepower to my car but not by going through the trouble of voiding my warranty or harming my car in any way.
And 3000$ sounds kind of pricey in my opinion. And please correct me of you think i'm wrong.
And lastly i live in Montreal Canada. And i see that Vishnu is in California.
Do i have to drive down to Cali to get this thing done?? lolol...
Or can this be done at my local shop.
Thank you and hopefully someone can share more insight on this whole thing.
Because to be honest to someone who is not very familiar with all the technical jargon in Vishnu's thread it all seems like chinese to me (no offense)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
Raayman
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou
Hi people,
E92.

Because to be honest to someone who is not very familiar with all the technical jargon in Vishnu's thread it all seems like chinese to me (no offense)
Man o man... I mean reading the other thread would be an option, but for the critics in this thread, I can understand that the info is somewhat overwhelming at first. And who are you to mock someone instead of just trying to explain and share the knowledge? Who knows, you might just have another person here that will find his way around after you give him some info.

Basically what you do is open the panel where the ECU is located in your car. The Engine Control Unit is basically a chip that controls several aspects of your engine. For example the fuel injection and the ignition time. Next to the ECU in your car you have (if I'm not mistaking) two slots, and one of those will be used to insert a small card. That small card is the Xede.

From what I understood the Xede basically does a 'piggy back ride' with your ECU and provides you with a custom set of settings for your motor management. This has the advantage that you are not required to reprogram your ECU or exchange it completely. Another advantage is that your dealer can reprogram your ECU, but your settings will still remain the same (you might need to remove the Xede before reprogramming the ECU).

Installation is quite uncomplicated as I read in the thread, and installation of the xede should take no longer then 15 minutes.

The $3000,- might seem like a lot of money, but don't forget that you are paying for the work that was put in to the Xede itself, the development, the tests and the card itself.

Anyway, this is what my understanding of the matter is. I hope that if I am wrong someone might take the effort to correct my misunderstandings. That way we help the other gain more knowledge, and you raise the level of this board in general. Everybody benefits from that, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom
I'll bet that when your were a little boy and you asked your Mom how to spell a word she would spank you and scream "LOOK IT UP IN THE DICTIONARY."
to be honest it was the opposite, he took some initiative and figured it out on his own and learned something. (that actually existed in kids at one time before kids starting moving to the next grade regardless of how dumb they are so they could "stay with kids their age" )

Asking questions about something after you've read the material to help clarify things is part of learning, asking questions about something to get the answers so you don't have to read the material is lazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge
to be honest it was the opposite, he took some initiative and figured it out on his own and learned something. (that actually existed in kids at one time before kids starting moving to the next grade regardless of how dumb they are so they could "stay with kids their age" )

Asking questions about something after you've read the material to help clarify things is part of learning, asking questions about something to get the answers so you don't have to read the material is lazy.

If you read the OP you'll see he mentions MANY things that have been posted, which leads me to think he DID read the threads and still needs help understanding.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

Thanks for understanding buddy

isn't it more fun and rewarding to figure out something on your own?

We’re all here to learn, it’s one thing if you have specific questions about the product that you still don’t understand after reading the thread, but it’s another to ask general open-ended broad questions like what is the results? (which was already posted) Does it void warranty? (issue which has been discussed ad nauseum)

Before I joined the forum, I spent a LOT of time reading up on old threads, and you know what? 90 percent of the questions that I had was answered by reading up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge

11-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion

We’re all here to learn, it’s one thing if you have specific questions about the product that you still don’t understand after reading the thread, but it’s another to ask general open-ended broad questions like what is the results? (which was already posted) Does it void warranty? (issue which has been discussed ad nauseum)

Before I joined the forum, I spent a LOT of time reading up on old threads, and you know what? 90 percent of the questions that I had was answered by reading up.
Amen to that. I didn't get a Masters degree by not reading the material and just hoping someone would just feed me the answers. No one understands everything but people will work with you if you're willing to put forth a good effort.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Raayman
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion

You know what? I agree with a very big part of your post. But to me it's more the way you try to get your message through. Anyone can be blunt, it's harder to put it in a more friendly way. Doesn't cost you much more time, and the other person will most likely be happier, even though you are still saying the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I really haven't read the lastest vishnu thread, but I've been keeping track of it. but I still know most of the stuff going on just by spending few minutes reading the Vishnu thread.

-I honestly don't understand a thing.
ok, which part was so hard to understand?

-What is the bottom line here.
Stage 0(Xede only) or Stage 1(Xede + Exhaust system) available.
Different pricing obviously, slightly different power output due to stage 1 including the exhaust system. (answered in the thread)

-What exactly is being done?
ECU & Boost tuning, and custom exhaust for better flow = more power (answered in the thread)

-Changing the exhaust system and a chip?? What is xede??
Answered above. (answered in the thread)

-What are the results?
Go look for DYNO graphs. There are alot of them posted. General consensus is that gains of around 50whp and additional torque. (answered in the thread)

-Most importantly does it void the warranty? Does it harm the car in any way?
Any aftermarket mod that produces/adds enough horsepower to put additional stress on the drivetrain will basically void the warranty. Dealership can be a bitch and try to void the warranty with just an intake(rare case). Though XEDE is nearly a plug-n-play, meaning you can take it out when going into the dealership for a service or etc. Factory ecu leaving trace is unknown. Additional power will obviously put extra stress on your car's transmission, engine, tires and suspension. Though as most aftermarket companies agree, most cars these days are made to take the extra stress/abuse from extracting more power out of it.

-I read somewhere that it costs 3000$ ... 3000$ for an exhaust and a chip? Am i getting something wrong here?
You are not getting anything wrong here. Tuning isn't cheap, especially german car tuning compared to japanese car tuning.

-And 3000$ sounds kind of pricey in my opinion. And please correct me of you think i'm wrong.
You are obviously not familar with tuning scene. People spend $1000 just for an intake that gives you 5whp at max.

-Do i have to drive down to Cali to get this thing done?? lolol... Or can this be done at my local shop.
Depends. I believe(correct if im wrong) XEDE comes with pre-tuned maps that'll just load when you install the system. Though most serious tuners prefer going to local shop(reputational, who knows how to deal with the system) for extra tuning, just to customize it for extra juice for your very own car.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raayman
You know what? I agree with a very big part of your post. But to me it's more the way you try to get your message through. Anyone can be blunt, it's harder to put it in a more friendly way. Doesn't cost you much more time, and the other person will most likely be happier, even though you are still saying the same thing.
I agree completely with this. There's nothing cool or extra to be gained by flaming or being particularly mean to a "noob". It's easy enough to suggest that the person search or take the time to read the threads because in the end they will be more knowledgeable for it.

Any further off-topic posts in this thread will be removed.

Thanks.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
I really haven't read the lastest vishnu thread, but I've been keeping track of it. but I still know most of the stuff going on just by spending few minutes reading the Vishnu thread.

-I honestly don't understand a thing.
ok, which part was so hard to understand?

-What is the bottom line here.
Stage 0(Xede only) or Stage 1(Xede + Exhaust system) available.
Different pricing obviously, slightly different power output due to stage 1 including the exhaust system. (answered in the thread)

-What exactly is being done?
ECU & Boost tuning, and custom exhaust for better flow = more power (answered in the thread)

-Changing the exhaust system and a chip?? What is xede??
Answered above. (answered in the thread)

-What are the results?
Go look for DYNO graphs. There are alot of them posted. General consensus is that gains of around 50whp and additional torque. (answered in the thread)

-Most importantly does it void the warranty? Does it harm the car in any way?
Any aftermarket mod that produces/adds enough horsepower to put additional stress on the drivetrain will basically void the warranty. Dealership can be a bitch and try to void the warranty with just an intake(rare case). Though XEDE is nearly a plug-n-play, meaning you can take it out when going into the dealership for a service or etc. Factory ecu leaving trace is unknown. Additional power will obviously put extra stress on your car's transmission, engine, tires and suspension. Though as most aftermarket companies agree, most cars these days are made to take the extra stress/abuse from extracting more power out of it.

-I read somewhere that it costs 3000$ ... 3000$ for an exhaust and a chip? Am i getting something wrong here?
You are not getting anything wrong here. Tuning isn't cheap, especially german car tuning compared to japanese car tuning.

-And 3000$ sounds kind of pricey in my opinion. And please correct me of you think i'm wrong.
You are obviously not familar with tuning scene. People spend $1000 just for an intake that gives you 5whp at max.

-Do i have to drive down to Cali to get this thing done?? lolol... Or can this be done at my local shop.
Depends. I believe(correct if im wrong) XEDE comes with pre-tuned maps that'll just load when you install the system. Though most serious tuners prefer going to local shop(reputational, who knows how to deal with the system) for extra tuning, just to customize it for extra juice for your very own car.
Good overview of the Xede! Just to add though, the Xede-only mod (Stage 0) is $1,300 as per Shiv and should add ~ 30HP/TQ.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Wow...
Ok I really don't know what happened here but i think a few people got aggrivated with my post.
Well let me clarify one thing here.
I did read Vishnu's thread.
And like i said it was very overwhelming to someone like me who is not very knowledgable with all the technical jargon.
So i'm NOT here posting because i want some answers without reading anything.
I am not lazy...
I know some of the other questions i asked have been answered in Vishnu's thread but i wanted a bottom line answer to all my questions in one post.
Maybe there are a few people like me who didn't understand it all too well and would be happy reading this thread.
Now to the people who gave me some answers.
Thank you.

Now in terms of Dyno graphs i have no idea whatsoever what they mean...
When i look at them i don't understand a thing.
And the reason I love thise forum so much is because there are wonderful people here who will take the time to actually help other people out.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Wow...
Ok I really don't know what happened here but i think a few people got aggrivated with my post.
Well let me clarify one thing here.
I did read Vishnu's thread.
And like i said it was very overwhelming to someone like me who is not very knowledgable with all the technical jargon.
So i'm NOT here posting because i want some answers without reading anything.
I am not lazy...
I know some of the other questions i asked have been answered in Vishnu's thread but i wanted a bottom line answer to all my questions in one post.
Maybe there are a few people like me who didn't understand it all too well and would be happy reading this thread.
Now to the people who gave me some answers.
Thank you.

Now in terms of Dyno graphs i have no idea whatsoever what they mean...
When i look at them i don't understand a thing.
And the reason I love thise forum so much is because there are wonderful people here who will take the time to actually help other people out.

to understand Shiv's entire post, try to read through the wall of text i just wrote for you below. it might clarify a few things, but you'll have to read it carefully.

A dyno chart is nothing more than a measurement chart of the cars Horsepower and Torque. The car is placed on a special machine and floored in several gears to measure the power at the wheels. A "dynamometer", which is the tool used to create dyno charts, measures "wheel horsepower". wheel horsepower is different than crank horsepower (power at the engine). Power is created at the engine, then goes through the transmission and eventually gets down to the wheels. Wheel horsepower is always lower than crank horsepower because of gear friction and other losses due to heat. Manufacturers list crank horsepower as opposed to wheel horsepower to make their cars look more powerful. BMW said the BMW 335i has 300bhp. A stock 335i measures between 275-285 wheelhorsepower on a dynamometer, which is quite a low loss of power, and points BMW's measure of crank horsepower to be pretty conservative.

now, as far as Shiv's mod. a great thing about turbocharged cars is the ability to get easy power with cheap, reliable, and impressive gains. this is consistent with ANY turbocharged car ever built. they are extremely easy to modify, and the bmw is no acception. to go into how he does it will force you to understand how a turbocharger AND an engine works and that may be too much detail for one read. but briefly, he plugs a computer into the car and uploads a custom "map" which has more agressive fuel, air, and ignition timing approaches which ultimately create significantly more power.

a great thing about Shiv's mod is that it is reliable, and 100% REVERSIBLE! meaning that if you ever had to sell the car or get a tuneup you could take off the advanced map and put the stock one back on.

go to www.howstuffworks.com and look up "how an engine works" and "how a turbocharger works". it really explains alot and can help you understand the technical shit that gets thrown around all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2006, 11:16 PM   #13
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverState
As someone who has a masters and a doctorate, but prior to that used to run an automotive shop and has been racing in one way or another for close to 20 years, let me break it down for you as I understand it.

Horsepower and torque make the car go faster/quicker providing you don't spin tires or the clutch. Your car has a computer with conservative settings. The Xede goes between the computer and the wire harness that takes the computer's information to various parts of the motor. The Xede has different settings/parameters. Ultimately, using the Xede causes your car to make more horsepower and torque. The exhaust helps the car be more efficient which also results in additional horsepower and torque.

So if that is something you are interested in, then the Xede might be worth something to you. If you want more, you can pay more and get the Xede with the exhaust. If you remember the opintions on your 335, the premium package was something like $3K, so what's $3K to make a crapload more power? Again, that might be worth something if that is what you want.

Warranty. I also am a lawyer. The dealer has to show that your mod caused the problem to avoid paying for repairs. Frankly, lots of people follow the do not ask do not tell policy. And my understanding is that the Xede is easily removed prior to taking your car to the dealer. So it's up to you if you want to deal with explaining things to the dealer and whether you want to do battle with them over warranty issues. It has been my experience that different dealers act differently about mods. I had an M with gears, headers and full race exhaust, coilovers, Brembos, etc. etc. and I had no problems getting warranty work done. But not everyone is that lucky.

If $3K is too much, just get the Stage 0 for $1300 and have it sent to Canada. To me, that is a reasonable price for a good amount of power and is easy to remove for dealer trips.
Is Xcede "with exhaust" also removable prior to dealer service trip?
      11-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #14
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fester
Is Xcede "with exhaust" also removable prior to dealer service trip?
This has been talked about before. The exhaust is bolt on so technically it can be removed. But you really dont have to worry about removing the exhaust when going to the dealership. It would be VERY hard to prove the exhaust caused any issues so people just leave them on and the dealers... deal with it.

Mat
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 01:18 AM   #15
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator
Good overview of the Xede! Just to add though, the Xede-only mod (Stage 0) is $1,300 as per Shiv and should add ~ 30HP/TQ.
On 93-94oct, we're seeing ~50whp and 70-80lbft of torque

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #16
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
On 93-94oct, we're seeing ~50whp and 70-80lbft of torque

Cheers,
shiv
wow!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2006, 11:03 AM   #17
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

To be honest ...I cannot understand why someone would "pay" to modify a car like 335i.
I mean...
well...
...come on guys ,THIS IS A BMW!! It works perfect in every aspect. Power,consumption,noise,luxury,quality,image and ...prestige are perfectly mixed. These lunatic Germans in the factory knows how to do it better than everyone.

I really cannot understand if there is any point in modifying such a car and risk damages to its state-of-the-art engine. If someone wants a faster car just go buy an M3 ,M5 ,M6 (or even a Porsche).
If you have a BMW you dont need to prove anything ,this car is a treat by itself...

11-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #18
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

LOL...I know.

I wouldnt do that mate. Whats the point in "moding" an M machine...you always make it more hungry for gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #19
LateralG
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M54E46

anyone got pix? TIA
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #20
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Question

question : PIX=?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #21
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz
To be honest ...I cannot understand why someone would "pay" to modify a car like 335i.
I mean...
well...
...come on guys ,THIS IS A BMW!! It works perfect in every aspect. Power,consumption,noise,luxury,quality,image and ...prestige are perfectly mixed. These lunatic Germans in the factory knows how to do it better than everyone.

I really cannot understand if there is any point in modifying such a car and risk damages to its state-of-the-art engine. If someone wants a faster car just go buy an M3 ,M5 ,M6 (or even a Porsche).
If you have a BMW you dont need to prove anything ,this car is a treat by itself...

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #22
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Hi people,
E92.
I mean i'm not 18 anymore or driving a honda...
The only thing i would do is add some tints and rims.
But from what i understand vishnu's mod really adds to the power of this already very powerful car.
To be quite honest i have skimmed through the posts and all the detailed graphs and whatnot are very confusing to me.
I honestly don't understand a thing.
What is the bottom line here.
What exactly is being done?
Changing the exhaust system and a chip?? What is xede??
What are the results?
Most importantly does it void the warranty? Does it harm the car in any way?
I read somewhere that it costs 3000$ ... 3000$ for an exhaust and a chip?
Am i getting something wrong here?
I mean i would love to add horsepower to my car but not by going through the trouble of voiding my warranty or harming my car in any way.
And 3000$ sounds kind of pricey in my opinion. And please correct me of you think i'm wrong.
And lastly i live in Montreal Canada. And i see that Vishnu is in California.
Do i have to drive down to Cali to get this thing done?? lolol...
Or can this be done at my local shop.

Should read the first few pages. That will answer all your questions about xede and the exhaust.

All in all to sum it up chip + exhaust is making around 70 whp on the 335's. The car is already making about 270-280 whp, so add another 70 whp and thats about 330 whp. About 396 crank hp, and about 410 foot lbs of torque.

So about 3k out of pocket youll have a car thats making 400 hp and 400 torque without any major moding.
Appreciate 0