E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Track insurance

04-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Track insurance

I have wanted to do a driving school or pdx for a while but am not sure who offers track insurance and how much it is. Advice please.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
I have wanted to do a driving school or pdx for a while but am not sure who offers track insurance and how much it is. Advice please.
go to racing section, plenty of info on it
      04-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

BMWCCA endorses this company:
http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4709
      04-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Give Kraig Hokins at WSIB Insurance (www.WSIBInsurance.com) a call for on-track coverage. We've insured our track car with him for three years now.

Feff
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Do you guys buy per event or for a year's worth of events?
Locton is around $430 for a 2 day event at $60,000 coverage. Not cheap for 2 days.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Do you guys buy per event or for a year's worth of events?
Locton is around $430 for a 2 day event at $60,000 coverage. Not cheap for 2 days.
Well, what would you expect? $60K of car is a lot to insure on track, which is why many dedicated track drivers have a cheaper/older car for the track. I know I can insure my ~$20K R32 for about $100. I'm sure the E9x M3 is a fantastic car for the track, but the cost of insurance should be sending a strong signal about the relative risk. I'm thinking pretty seriously about getting a E9x M3 next year (or maybe the M1 if that comes), but I can guarantee I'll be driving it for a few years as my DD before it goes regularly on the track.
      04-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Are you sure your auto insurance company doesn't cover HPDE events? Mine (USAA) does without any additional coverage required.
      04-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
Are you sure your auto insurance company doesn't cover HPDE events? Mine (USAA) does without any additional coverage required.
TJDiCandido:

You may want to revisit USAA as I know they specifically excluded coverage "on a racing surface" from our policy several years ago. This may be specific by state (we are in Missouri).

Feff
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
TJDiCandido....I agree with Feff. A close friend of mine works at USAA..and is insured by them...they do not cover HPDE events. The only one I have heard good things about is the one that the BMW club use out here in the west (and maybe other regions). Check out http://www.motorsportreg.com for more details....here is the direct URL: https://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/....aspx?pID=2364

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feffman View Post
TJDiCandido:

You may want to revisit USAA as I know they specifically excluded coverage "on a racing surface" from our policy several years ago. This may be specific by state (we are in Missouri).

Feff
Yeah, you have to read coverage details pretty carefully at every renewal, because even if it was covered in the past, many have been modifying coverages to exclude it now. I switched from Allstate to Liberty Mutual a few years back, because the agent assured me I'd be covered, and after reading their coverage I agreed (basically it was just a racing exclusion). I think last year, wording got changed to where it seems very likely it wouldn't be covered (still not quite as clear as some companies). Unless you read your coverages in detail every renewal, it may be a mistake to assume coverage.
      04-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

I didn't mean to hijack this thread but USAA specifically excludes "driving contests or challenges against other people, vehicles or time".

BMW CCA Driver Schools, and similar track-based instructional events (with controls built into the curriculum to promote safety), are covered by USAA.
      04-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
I didn't mean to hijack this thread but USAA specifically excludes "driving contests or challenges against other people, vehicles or time".

BMW CCA Driver Schools, and similar track-based instructional events (with controls built into the curriculum to promote safety), are covered by USAA.
I don't know, but if that first sentence is the actual wording in the policy, that wouldn't give me a ton of comfort. I could see an HPDE being interpreted as a "challenge against other people". Not saying they'd do it necessarily, but it's not wording that would give me real comfort.
      04-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
I don't know, but if that first sentence is the actual wording in the policy, that wouldn't give me a ton of comfort. I could see an HPDE being interpreted as a "challenge against other people". Not saying they'd do it necessarily, but it's not wording that would give me real comfort.
Yes, the exclusion against "driving contests or challenges against other people, vehicles or time" is quoted directly from the USAA policy. These "racing activities" aren't covered by any personal automobile insurance policy that I'm aware of.

I confirmed with USAA that the clause does exclude participation in racing activities; but does not exclude participation in BMWCCA drivers schools or other controlled, safe, non-competitive, track-based driving instruction.
      04-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

My understanding is that the policy has little to do with the carrier and is all about the state. Every carrier in Texas pretty much uses the same state issued policy. They can amend it, but they start from the same basic policy. In Texas, there is no language about racing or driving on a racing surface. That said, when I tracked my car last month, I contact Lockton and secured a policy so that in the event of an accident I would not have to deal with my carrier and the threat of being dropped.
Appreciate 0