E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > hesitant 330d E90 (Auto)

04-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 CP | DCT | SO | CB

hesitant 330d E90 (Auto)

The car has been remapped for a while and did pull keenly, never been any trouble for the last 7 months.

Seems not to be the case anymore, sometimes it feels like I give it some beans and the car just feels dull and flat, almost like no power. Flat spot for a better word and at any speed.

Anyone else had this issue before or anyone know of the cause?

I have extended warranty so would like to gain some info (if any) before I try to explain the issue to the BMW stealers.

I'm gonna take the remap off tonight and give it a drive to see if it alters the cars behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
iamjim
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 CP | DCT | SO | CB

Thinking about it more - additionaly more of a delay in the kick down too.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I know of a few cars that having come through the winter have been feeling very flat and unresponsive, regardless of whether they are mapped or not. In almost all of these cases, it was discovered the air filter had become clogged, often prematurely, due to the amount of road salt and crap that was around over the last few months.

A change of air filter, and a reset of ECU adaptations, cured the hesitancy and reinvigorated the performance...

I'd suggest you have a look at that as a possible cause to your issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I know of a few cars that having come through the winter have been feeling very flat and unresponsive, regardless of whether they are mapped or not. In almost all of these cases, it was discovered the air filter had become clogged, often prematurely, due to the amount of road salt and crap that was around over the last few months.

A change of air filter, and a reset of ECU adaptations, cured the hesitancy and reinvigorated the performance...

I'd suggest you have a look at that as a possible cause to your issues.
An air filter change is sound advice. My 330d with 13K miles has just had it's first service and I was wondering why the air filter wasn't included as part of the job - speaking as an aircraft engineer, that seems fundamental to me.
My car is running perfectly well, but I was thinking of changing the air filter myself; however, I know nothing about resetting the ECU adaptations - is this something that has to be done as part of the job or is it a procedure to log the filter change into the onboard service programme?
Any clarification or a link to a relevant part of the forum would be greatly appreciated - many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
An air filter change is sound advice. My 330d with 13K miles has just had it's first service and I was wondering why the air filter wasn't included as part of the job - speaking as an aircraft engineer, that seems fundamental to me.
My car is running perfectly well, but I was thinking of changing the air filter myself; however, I know nothing about resetting the ECU adaptations - is this something that has to be done as part of the job or is it a procedure to log the filter change into the onboard service programme?
Any clarification or a link to a relevant part of the forum would be greatly appreciated - many thanks.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279058

All in Dr Dave's thread.

Maybe best to just change it and leave the computer then have it replaced as per BMW timescale so it is detailed in the service record.
      04-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
The ECU adaptation reset is not something that has to be done. Most of the time it is never reset as there should be no need for it. It isn't something that can be done by yourself anyway - it needs a programming computer at the dealer (or alternative) for that.

You don't need to log the filter change on the onboard service programme - there isn't a way of doing that in any case. Simply change the filter, and make a note of it so you can tell the service guys next time your car goes to the dealer for a service.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279058

All in Dr Dave's thread.

Maybe best to just change it and leave the computer then have it replaced as per BMW timescale so it is detailed in the service record.
Yes, I was hoping it was nothing more than logging the change and I agree that it's best left alone to keep the official record straight.
I shall PM Dr Dave to express my appreciation for his thoroughly detailed write-up. If he's not a technical author, he should be. You don't see procedures outlined with such clarity in aircraft maintenance manuals.
Many thanks.
PS: my thanks also to 'E92fan' for similar comment.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I was hoping it was nothing more than logging the change and I agree that it's best left alone to keep the official record straight.
I shall PM Dr Dave to express my appreciation for his thoroughly detailed write-up. If he's not a technical author, he should be. You don't see procedures outlined with such clarity in aircraft maintenance manuals.
Many thanks.

I taught him everything he knows.
      04-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I taught him everything he knows.
Ha-ha, do I sense some rivalry here?