E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Klasse AIO smudges?

11-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #1
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Klasse AIO smudges?

I have previously used Klasse AIO, followed by SG, on my E90 (titanium silver) twice , and it looked great each time. Recently I completed my Fall detailing, and I noticed some sections, mainly on the hood, that appear to be smudged. The car looks good overall, but under the overhead fluourescent garage lights some smudges are evident. They don't look like scratches or major swirl marks, just smaller diameter smudges. No amount of hand buffing seems to change them.

I thought I followed the instructions on the bottles carefully; application was entirely by hand and MF towels, inside the garage. I wiped down the AIO right away, in small sections, then applied the SG. I let the SG dry about 30 min before buffing. The car is fairly shiny but doesn't have quite the depth of shine that my previous applications did.

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong? Perhaps used too much AIO in those sections, or SG dried too long? I think it looks OK and would probably not want to strip the whole car at this point; is there a way to fix small sections? Otherwise any suggestions on how to use AIO + SG better in my Spring detailing appreciated. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

i'm by far no pro but after doing some research on klasse aio, it sounds to me like you used too much. as far as fixing the problem, sorry any thing i would suggest would be pure guess work.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
arcrox
E90post addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 G20 M340i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I just klassed my car a couple of weeks ago and had no problems. i went panel by panel, using only a couple of very small drops per every couple of panels or so...you should barely see it go on, just a wispy haze. the temptation to put a lot on is great, but you must refrain. the klasse mantra is "less is better" considering how incredibly thin the layers should be when done right. get your applicator nice and wet and squeeze out the excess before you start; this should make AIO (and SG too) more pliable and even. i had a mister bottle with some filtered water that i would spray every now and then to get the pad slightly moist. I followed the guide on bimmerforums (there's a sticky in the detailing forum) which uses the no-dry-time method (i apply it to two of the same panels on each side of the car then immediately go back and buff with a dry microfiber towel; with the front bumper, hood, roof, trunk, and rear bumper, i immediately go back to buff after applying AIO/SG on that single panel)

edit: there have also been tests where one guy did the no-dry-time method on one car and on another car, let SG sit for several hours, and he could not tell the difference in durability or appearance. that discussion should be also on bimmerforums.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
thanks! sounds like I used too much of either AIO or SG. For my next detailing, in the Spring, should I use a stronger wash soap (e.g., Dawn) to remove this coat or will it wear off naturally?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
glock17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sparkling Graphite

The first time I used Klasse AIO & SG, I probably used too much. I also followed the direction to the letter on the bottles. It was very tough to buff off if left on for the 20 minutes or so they reccommend. The next time after I washed my car and applied the SG I didn't use as much and buffed off ASAP. It looked much nicer.
Appreciate 0