E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Repair without respray? w/pics

04-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
e90arnold
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07' 328xi e90

Repair without respray? w/pics

Happy Easter everyone,

Hope you guys are having a better weekend than I am. Long story short I leased another e90 and already bumped my left bumper into a wooden garage door frame in the same day. 3 dime size are paint damaged, exposing the rubber part. The rest are clear coat scratches, mostly can't even feel with finger nails. And no dents or bents. The best solution of course would be to respray the whole bumper. But I was trying to save up for a trip over the summer instead and having the rest of the bumper being new, respraying already seems like a waste.

I want to know how feasible it is to use touch up paint myself for the 3 spots and have someone professionally wet sand the bumper? Because I would imagine they would do a hell better job than I can in wet sanding but I think I would have more patience in apply the touch up paint myself. And this should be cheaper than having them respray. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just want to know if you think this solution would work at all based on the damages. Just looking for a temporary fix before having the whole thing sprayed. Here are the pictures. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
SSBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3

Did body work and paint for a while and from what I see you are going to need some refinishing. Touch up paint cannot be wet sanded unless a layer of clear is applied over top of it. Even then, you will still notice a major color shift in the paint, but since it's plastic, I wouldn't worry about it since it wont rust and you can go on your trip. The second and last pic shows a bulge in the Polyurethane. That is going to need to be relaxed to look uniform.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
e90arnold
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07' 328xi e90

So i guess there's no way around it? Because the white gash feels doesn't feel that rough at all. When I spray water on it, the gashes disappears, so I suspect the damage is only on the clear coat. Impossible to get rid of even after wet sand, compound?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
SSBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3

Difficult to say without seeing it personally. I'm just stating my opinion from what I can see in the pictures. To me it looks like the scratches are deeper than what you are saying. I would take it in to a paint shop "not dealership" and see what they think. They will know right of the bat what your dealing with.

Appreciate 0