E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Comments/Questions on this 2006 330I purchase

03-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Toddbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22

Comments/Questions on this 2006 330I purchase

I am looking at purchasing a 2006 330I with 48K, manual trans, only Premium and Sport, owner is asking $23750, where the Kelly Blue Book is $22250, I am thinking to pay no more than $22000 or $22500. This is a very clean car, with CPO until 5/2011. This is the 3rd owner, who has had the car since June 2009. He has all maintenance records (maintenance is up to date), along with the dealer service report that others have recently reported is difficult to get. New rear tires (runflats), and the fronts have more that 1/2 of their life left. The car has had some paint work done on the front bumper and top due to the prior owner parking regularly under some dripping water that would not buff out. The current owner talked to the body shop and did his homework on the paintwork repairs, and with the personality of the owner (compulsive with his cars), if he felt there was any issue with the quality
of the repair he would not have purchased the car last year.
The car comes with carpet and rubber mats, and the owner uses the rubber mats year round, so the carpet mats are new looking.

Is $22000 a fair price for this car? I am thinking of $22000, since his asking price is $23750. I know when I sell cars, I ask more than what I want and am willing to come down to more of a market value.

This is a very early 2006 model delivery, May 2005, hence the CPO warranty until 5/2011. How early in 2005 did the new model begin to be sold?

From my reading on the forums, all 2006 330I’s have the Logic 7 sound system. The radio only has 3 modes, Tuner, CD, and Aux, if the system had the Sirus receiver installed, but not activated, then there would be a mode for SAT?

I am thinking of replacing the runflats with regular performance tires, I have a set of 16” rims from my old E36 M3 with snows, and selling the runflats to a lease ender who needs a set of tires. I am sure the E36 M3 rims will fit. Without adding TPMS to the rims, I know the warning light will show.

Can the Daytime running lights can be turned off via the control center? Is there a list of options that can be set via the control center vs requiring the dealer software?

TIA,
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
uga12388
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

I have a 2006 330i with I-DRIVE and there is a option under the settings menu to turn off the DRL if you dont want them. I would assume it would be the same with non-IDRIVE headunit but im not 100% sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

First I'll say as a 330i owner myself, it is a great and balanced car. I love mine, and ordered it new in May 2006. To answer some of your question:

- Yes, all 330's have the Logic 7 standard.
- I don't have SAT, so I see what you see.
- If it is an early build 330, then unless the car had a software update, you may not have the ability to change a lot of functions including the daytime running lights yourself. You'd have to bring it to the dealer. Starting 9/05 builds, the ability to change many functions (auto locks, DRL's, seat memory, blinker settings, etc.) was made available to the driver, with or without i-drive.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I dont think 16" will fit over the 330i's brakes, but in either case, PLEASE do not downgrade the 18" 162s for 16s. The 162s give the E90 so much more presence. Park a sport E90 330/335 next to a non sport E90 325/328 with OEM wheels and the 325/328 just looks awkward with such small, sunken in wheels (and high non-sport suspension).

330i also does not have TPMS, just FTM (monitors difference in rotation speed, not tire pressure).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddbmw View Post
I am looking at purchasing a 2006 330I with 48K, manual trans, only Premium and Sport, owner is asking $23750, where the Kelly Blue Book is $22250, I am thinking to pay no more than $22000 or $22500. This is a very clean car, with CPO until 5/2011. This is the 3rd owner, who has had the car since June 2009. He has all maintenance records (maintenance is up to date), along with the dealer service report that others have recently reported is difficult to get. New rear tires (runflats), and the fronts have more that 1/2 of their life left. The car has had some paint work done on the front bumper and top due to the prior owner parking regularly under some dripping water that would not buff out. The current owner talked to the body shop and did his homework on the paintwork repairs, and with the personality of the owner (compulsive with his cars), if he felt there was any issue with the quality
of the repair he would not have purchased the car last year.
The car comes with carpet and rubber mats, and the owner uses the rubber mats year round, so the carpet mats are new looking.

Is $22000 a fair price for this car? I am thinking of $22000, since his asking price is $23750. I know when I sell cars, I ask more than what I want and am willing to come down to more of a market value.

This is a very early 2006 model delivery, May 2005, hence the CPO warranty until 5/2011. How early in 2005 did the new model begin to be sold?

From my reading on the forums, all 2006 330I’s have the Logic 7 sound system. The radio only has 3 modes, Tuner, CD, and Aux, if the system had the Sirus receiver installed, but not activated, then there would be a mode for SAT?

I am thinking of replacing the runflats with regular performance tires, I have a set of 16” rims from my old E36 M3 with snows, and selling the runflats to a lease ender who needs a set of tires. I am sure the E36 M3 rims will fit. Without adding TPMS to the rims, I know the warning light will show.

Can the Daytime running lights can be turned off via the control center? Is there a list of options that can be set via the control center vs requiring the dealer software?

TIA,
SAT would show on radio if you had it, and wasn't activated.

I do not believe your 16" E36 rims will fit the E90.

New RFT's cost about $1,400 installed for this car. You're paying for the new tires, I suggust you try them out. The technology has come a long way since 2006.

DRL's among a bunch of other options should be able to be accessed through the car w/out having to go to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
also i have an 06 as well and put on aftermarket wheels, i didnt need tire press. sensors and there is no light. i was told that 06 did not have them, the tpms system works through the abs somehow
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

Blue book does not include the value of the CPO warranty. That's probably why the seller is pricing higher. However, there's only 1 year left, so the premium shouldn't be as high. I would say your $22500 or $22750 would be spot on and fair for both buyer and seller.

Software update should've happened under warranty.

RFTs are decent and I would wait until they wear out or get bubbled before replacing them. I bubbled 3 within 6 months so I changed out before they wore out.

TPMS system works through ABS by measuring individual wheel speed relative to the others. If the speeds vary too much in relation to the base reading then the light comes on. No sensors.

I think you meant that you planned to run the 16" M3 rims as your winter wheels, right? If so, check the tire forum to see if they fit. As stated above, they may not clear the brakes and they will look ugly. Use the 162s with summer rubber. Sell your M3 rims and get a set of Borbet or used 162s for winter rubber.

I love my 330i!!!
      03-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #8
capitalst
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Just to help out. I have a 9 out of 10 shape 2006 330i e90 that I just bought a month ago from a BMW deal. CPO for 2 years, Xenon lights, sport package, auto, L7, Heated seats. Car had brand new tires on it. 26k miles on it. Factory warranty is up in July of this year too. I picked it up for $22,500. I won't pay anymore then 20k for this car your talking about. IMO. Keep looking you will find a great deal like I did and from a BMW dealer with a full 2 year CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
UAP1
www.UltimateAutoPortal.co m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i. Few mods.

For the miles (1 year on CPO) and assuming the car has a clean Autocheck or Carfax (and has no previous damage).

Trade in (whole sale $) is between 17-19K on one like it.
Private Party (real $) is between 20-22K. The higher end is for a perfect car with no previous paint and optioned out. I wouldn't consider this car in that catergory because it has had paint on the bumper and hood. Even if the work was good it will have some effect on resale value. Especially a luxury car like BMW. Also, since the car was a early run and you may have to have some things updated. I think that effects the the value imo. I would stick around 20K range and see where he goes.

Get your financing pre-approved first (or cash) and let him know you are series buyer looking for a quick and smooth transaction. People will often move more on the price when they know they are dealing with someone series. Most are so frusterated with attempting to sale the car themselves they are happy just to get a decent price and get it done.

Bottom line, I would stick around 20K. I bought my 07 335i with 37k miles two weeks ago for 25K. At 22K you are talking about only a $3000 difference between a year newer car with the added performance.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by UAP1; 03-29-2010 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
Toddbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22

Thanks for all the responses and good suggestions. I felt that if the car had SAT, then it should show on the menu, not a deal breaker. None of the items are deal breakers, mostly wanted to know what my options are. Old M3 rims and tires can be sold, and if I have to take the car to the dealer to turn off the Daytime light, that can wait. I had planned to use the bodywork issue to get my price down to 22K, and I found some other cars at dealer lots with comparable mileage for less, which should be a negotiating point. The owner did mention that he was having second thoughts about selling (passive aggressive to hold firm on his asking price). I appreciate some of the purchase prices offered, much better facts to work with than dealer and private party asking prices. This purchase will require some hard thinking and planning to work the price down.
Appreciate 0