New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

JB3 2.0 Review (including Audi R8 kill)

Hi guys, I thought I'd post a little review of the new JB3 2.0 chip I installed yesterday.

As I already had JB3 1.4 installed, upgrading was very easy. I received a tiny little drop-in chip via mail from BMS (20$), and simply dropped it into the JB3 module. On my initial test drive, I was kind of disappointed, as my car didn't really fly as I was expecting. But, that would all change very quickly as I found out that the module wasn't working correctly. Once fixed, all was well.

So last night my friend called up to see if I wanted to test out the JB3 2.0 vs his new Audi R8 (the 420hp v8 model, with r-tronic flipper gear box). Of course I said yes, and we went out of some late night tests.

I had been running map 3 all day, but for the R8 races I pushed it up to map 5. My 35i is totally stock, nothing changed, except the JB3 module.

First 3 highway runs.
2nd gear at 80km/h up to 230km/h. (we were exactly as fast until 150km/h when the Z4 would pull away a little).
3rd gear run 230km/h. (z4 would pull away a little earlier).
4th gear run to 250km/h (z4 instantly pulls away).

Below 180km/h its quite equal, but above that the z4 pulls much harder than that V8 in the Audi. Of course once you get to 260km/h, the game is over as the BMW is limited, and the Audi keeps on going till 300+km/h.

I'm now considering removing the top speed limiter...

Then we pulled off the highway, for some drag races.

Now I must say, this wasn't a fair game for the Audi, as the V8 r-tronic does NOT have launch control, and our Z4 does.

We did a drag race any way (launch control vs no launch control), and the BMW Z4 smoked the R8 big time. By the time we hit 100km/h, the z4 was about 2 car lengths ahead.

Of course I had to give him a (no launch control vs no launch control) run too, and on that run it was pretty even.

Overall; I'm AMAZED by the power the JB3 2.0 module has given to this tiny little Z4. I highly recommend anyone currently running a lower version of JB3, to upgrade. It is only 20$, and as you can see, beating a super car like an Audi R8, is totally worth it!

---------------
little extra info:
---------------
Of course the Z4 has no chance against an Audi R8 when the roads get twisty, its lower center of gravity, mid-engine design and 4x4 give it far superior handling.

This test was purely done to check raw performance. The added torque from the JB3 chip made all the difference IMO.

Also, all tests were done on no-limit motorways in Germany.

Soon, we plan on doing it again, but this time with some next to each drive to put everything on camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

I have to say, that the over the top power was not a consideration when I bought this car. I have the 35i and its nice, but certainly not overwhelming. Even with the chip its no z06 or an insane zr1. Its great for all the other reasons. Way way nicer interior. Better build quality, stunning looks, hardtop/convertible, great technology, and most of all, that great dct transmission. Im a huge fan.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

i was in ny last week and traffic never went over 50mph, even on the Merritt parkway and I-95 I can never catch an empty highway, always traffic. i would probably never get to "experience" the JB3 2.0 power
      03-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

we did not buy this car for "power" as it was already very quick; our mods were done because my wife wanted a better exhaust sound, that turned into more cool options because I am obsessive and my wife is aggressive, and it makes an awesome car even more special to us. that being said, real power is a whole bunch of fun every now and then - I really would like to have some more professional training on a track with this car just to improve my ability, which is no real driving ability at this time
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
we did not buy this car for "power" as it was already very quick; our mods were done because my wife wanted a better exhaust sound, that turned into more cool options because I am obsessive and my wife is aggressive, and it makes an awesome car even more special to us. that being said, real power is a whole bunch of fun every now and then - I really would like to have some more professional training on a track with this car just to improve my ability, which is no real driving ability at this time
I would absolutely recommend joining BMWCCA and finding their local track events. I've also done Mustang Club and PCA events. Beginners always have instructors to help you along. You and your wife can do it at the same time but unless in different run groups, you'll get 1/2 the time. You may have issues with running the Z4 on some tracks/club events that require full cages in roadsters. Otherwise even a stock Z4 should do well on track and not hurt the car. Although significant tire/brake pad wear can occur.

Or look into the BMW Performance Center classes. Expensive but supposedly well worth the cost. Although, I don't think they have any specific classes using the new Z4.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

I second the Track Time idea. I've been going to the track once or twice a year with every sports car I've had over the past 20 years. Check with your local track and see which groups run "High Performance Driving Events".

The local group I run with charges $150 for the day including lunch and a T-shirt AND you get at least 3 hours of track time (in half hour sessions). They put everyone in different groups (I run in the intermediate group) and there are strict rules to keep you safe. It's way safer than driving on the freeway and it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on...well almost .

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

We have a great track in Cresson, Texas just 40 minutes away. I am always wanting to go but never seem to make it due to other obligations that always encroach on fun. I will pull up the Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson on the web and book some instructed time at the track for me and the bride.
Appreciate 0