E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Spring Detail Revisions

03-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Cameron™
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

Question Spring Detail Revisions

I've been reading through this forum a lot lately in preparation for my much-anticipated spring detail. Since I'm pretty much completely inexperienced outside of the washing part of the detail, I wanted to outline what I thought I should do and get opinions before I actually did anything.

My E90 is Black Sapphire Metallic and I think it actually looks pretty good considering it doesn't have any wax or sealant on it whatsoever...in the right lighting conditions. When overcast, all of the surface scratches, swirls, and other imperfections are relatively hidden to the unscrupulous eye:

Unfortunately, add the slightest bit of sunlight and all of the scratches come to light. I'm thinking the previous owner didn't know/care much about washing cars safely.

Aside from those, I've also attained a few imperfections from jack***es that evidently don't know how to park or even open their car doors without failing miserably. The first picture is from, I'm assuming, someone opening their car door too far; I can't feel it with my fingernail, but I wouldn't expect it to go away without repainting (my SA said that it was too deep for paintless repair, not that I don't have reasons to doubt her). The second, on the bumper, is less noticeable, and I think it might come out with polishing. The third, on the front bumper, was there (pretty sure) at purchase, and the seller hid it with [what I'm pretty sure was] Armour All when they drenched the entire car in it to hide the scratches; for this one, I'm open to suggestions on concealing, as repainting the bumper isn't in my budget right now.

So here are my plans so far:
  1. Wash thoroughly
  2. Clay
  3. Mild Polish [Menzerna PO83]
  4. Fine Polish [Menzerna PO106FA]
  5. Seal 2x [Blackfire Wet Diamond]
  6. Wax [Carnauba (Type/Brand?)]

I'm planning on buying a PC7424 to use in as many of the stops as possible. I already have Klasse AIO and SG, but I wanted to try Blackfire Wet Diamond instead of Klasse SG after some of the positive reviews and pictures I'd seen. Should I apply Klasse AIO at some point, and, if so, between what stages? Should I use a mild or fine clay bar, or both? Is quick detail a sufficient lubricant for it? Are the two polishes I selected sufficient for most of the scratches on my car, or is an actual compound needed? Am I planning the polishes in the right order, and using the right products (eg. PO83 vs. PO91E)? Do I need to do an ONR wash between any of the steps, and, if so, which ones? Is there a drying/curing time for any of the steps (other than the 24 hours for the sealant)? What would be an optimal number of applications of Blackfire Wet Diamond? What wax should I use, and how many coats of it should I apply? I think I remember reading that you should use Orange Pads with Polish and Blue for Sealants/Waxes -- is this right?

I've also noticed that my wheels seem to have some permanent dirt/discolourations. I always wash them with plain dish detergent, and they have some black-ish spots and areas of a slightly yellow-ish tinge that won't come off. Is Sonax Wheel Cleaner by itself sufficient to remove most all of the dirt from the wheels? Should I be applying wheel wax, and, if so, what kind?

I'm sorry I had to ask so many questions, but I was still wondering about a few things, even after reading through so many threads in this forum. Any/all suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Cameron™; 03-20-2010 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

If only everyone was this thorough when asking for help!

Your process looks good. SIP/106FA is a solid two-step that should yield some great results on your car. BSM is a relatively hard paint, so SIP is a good choice. With the PCXP, I would recommend 4-5.5" pads for best results. You will probably want to buy some orange pads to use with SIP and some white pads to use with 106FA. Make sure you buy plenty of pads since they become less effective as polish builds up. Unless you want to stop and clean it frequently, buy a few of each (maybe 3-4 5.5" and 1-2 4" for tight areas).

Personally, I would recommend skipping Klasse AIO if you're sealing with Blackfire. You want the sealant to bond with the paint - having a product layer between the paint and your sealant of choice could decrease the effectiveness of the sealant. You certainly won't harm anything by using both, but the Blackfire may not last as long. For claying, which type of bar you want depends entirely on your paint. Most cars won't need anything more than fine, so I would go with that. QD or ONR will be sufficient for lube, whichever you prefer.

Once you get polishing, you will want to do an IPA wipedown between each polishing step and after the last step to ensure any oils any leftover polish are removed from the paint. After your last IPA wipedown, you might need a quick ONR wash to remove polishing dust. Polish does not require time to cure or dry.

You can use a blue pad to apply Blackfire to the car with the PCXP, or you can do it by hand. If you are applying two coats, Blackfire recommends waiting 8 hours for the first coat to cure completely before applying the second coat. One coat of Blackfire is sufficient, but you can do two for a little extra shine and protection if you want. For wax, you have a lot of options - Poorboy's Natty's Blue is a great bargain wax, especially on black paint. You could step up to Dodo Juice Purple Haze or P21s for even more shine. Dodo Juice Supernatural is always a good choice if you're looking for a high end wax. It really depends on what you would like to spend.

Trying some Sonus or P21s Wheel Gel on the wheels might help. Sometimes the clear coat on wheels can start to degrade and dirt can become a permanent stain. Can you take a few pictures? Using some clay might help too. If you want to go with a wheel wax, give Poorboy's Wheel Wax a shot.

Hope that helps, post up if you have any other questions!

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Cameron™
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6

Thanks for your reply! With all of the details you provided, I should be able to start ordering things right away!

I wiped away most of the gunk on the wheels so that only the possibly-permanent part is shown. It's mostly in the (for lack of a better term) crevices between the individual spokes. If you don't think of anything else, I'll try the wheel gel that you mentioned and see how it turns out.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Get your clay for those wheels. I remember the first time I took a good look at my wheels, and they were a mess! But I spent most of a Thanksgiving day with clay and finished them of with PB Wheel Wax. All I had to do this weekend was wash with a sponge and soapy water, clean as new (almost)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F80 M3

definately use some PB Wheel Sealant after you get those wheels clean. lately i have been using CG Diablo wheel gel, but p21s or CG Citrus Gel (on sale) should be able to get those rims pretty clean. then, as was suggested, clay them to perfection!