BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

03-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
grantuk36
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe

M3- the best car I have owned!

Hi guys, just to say that I have had my 08 coupe for a month now and can safely say it has exceeded all my expectations, I have had a string of other performance cars Inc: Carrera S, V8 Vantage, F430, R8 and up till last month a Nissan GTR! All these cars were great in many ways but the M3 has it all, yes I don't get the looks I got in the F430, and the Vantage sounded great! The GTR was fun and very fast but rode far too firmly and in the real world you couldn't really use all the power, and the gearbox is not as smooth as the M3's especially when cold, and the downchange on the M3 is more reponsive!

I think if I had of kept the GTR I would of ended up in prison for speeding ;-) and have driven all my cars on track and got bored of the way Nissan void your warranty every Trackday u do till u get it checked post Trackday at a cost to reinstate warranty, crazy!!!

Welcome and qustions on the cars I have owned.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

I totally agree and glad you like it but... I will stick my neck out and say that if I could afford it I would have a Ferrari Italia...lol
On another note I did not know that the GTR had all these warranty issues.
Good to know.
I saw one yesterday and thought it lookd nice but I was thinking im so glad I bought my M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantuk36 View Post
Hi guys, just to say that I have had my 08 coupe for a month now and can safely say it has exceeded all my expectations, I have had a string of other performance cars Inc: Carrera S, V8 Vantage, F430, R8 and up till last month a Nissan GTR! All these cars were great in many ways but the M3 has it all, yes I don't get the looks I got in the F430, and the Vantage sounded great! The GTR was fun and very fast but rode far too firmly and in the real world you couldn't really use all the power, and the gearbox is not as smooth as the M3's especially when cold, and the downchange on the M3 is more reponsive!

I think if I had of kept the GTR I would of ended up in prison for speeding ;-) and have driven all my cars on track and got bored of the way Nissan void your warranty every Trackday u do till u get it checked post Trackday at a cost to reinstate warranty, crazy!!!

M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Dartanium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

so you can actually reinstate the warranty? pretty cool.

I came from a line of turbocharged cars and M3 is quite a joy to drive around without the mindbogglingly loud exhaust or the blow off valve noises.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
Silverstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE

Interesting...thanks for the info .
      03-04-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
Hayzi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 09 E92, BMW S1000 RR Bike

I also tend to agree.
My last 3 cars have been Porsches but I think they lost the plot especially on my last one when replaced the exhaust with a Cargraphic and they advised that I could have the extended warranty due to the exhaust even though it was TUV approved so I ordered an E92 M3.

Had the car for 7 months and only covered 3000 miles in it but I think you get more car for your money and the more I have driven it the more I enjoy it. I like it's subtle looks and with the DCT you can just drive around like Aunt Sally if you wish and then on the otherside it can be a hooligan if you want it too.

Haven't put it on the track yet though!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
I am the odd one out here ....I am actually disappointed with my M3 !!

Last edited by hugehead; 03-04-2010 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Hayzi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Why are you disappointed?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzi View Post
Why are you disappointed?
It alot noisier than my M5,as the ride quailty, less room as well , built quality is lower as well .....only thing better than the M5 is the DCT box and the individual sound system ( but its cost you £1K + for the previlage).

i mean my wife's 116! M-sport has better sound deafening quality than the M3(on a £60K+ car is not acceptable imho)
the leather interior is not as good as the M5(only just better than the ones on the 1 series !!)
the Passenger wing mirror started to crack after 10 days of ownership, the through loading system latch on the rear seat broke away on the first time of using !!!

Getting small stone chips on paintwork in the 1st 900 miles(very slow driving ..while running in the car )
i am really suprise by how thin the paintwork is on these new Bmws
german cars usually mean quality paintwork in the old days !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so do you actually like the M3 compare to the R8 ??

as i would of though the R8 is the better car of the two
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
ryandoc
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Edition

hugehead, if you mean general cabin noise when cruising I find the M3 very quiet when compared with what the E46 M3 was like, however foot down you get plenty from the engine but then there is no sound deadening under the bonnet lid hence the noise.

Strange also as I find build qulity very high. Dont get me wrong not trying to be argumentative but I had 3 years in an E46 M3 and I find the E92 a step up in build quality.

Agree the paintwork could be better.

Touch wood I'm just comming up to 2K miles now and ive not had a single issue, I was expecting some niggly faults from new but everything is perfect.

Sorry to hear your woes mate
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandoc View Post
Strange also as I find build qulity very high. Dont get me wrong not trying to be argumentative but I had 3 years in an E46 M3 and I find the E92 a step up in build quality.

Agree the paintwork could be better.

Touch wood I'm just comming up to 2K miles now and ive not had a single issue, I was expecting some niggly faults from new but everything is perfect.

Sorry to hear your woes mate
Quality wise its better than alot of cars , but at £50k+ on the road price tag, one would expect it to better and quieter than the 1 series Bmws

When you compare its to the E60 M5 , the E90x M3 is just abit less refine , don't get me wrong the M3 will please 99% of its owners.
Like I've said i am the odd one out.
I had to part with £38K on top of my old E60 M5...for a inferior car !

that my only "major " problem with the car .............

Last edited by hugehead; 03-04-2010 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

I have to agree in one major respect. I've owned more powerful and more exciting cars as well, but they've all become hard to live with with after a relatively short honeymoon.

I'm not getting tired of the M3, I think, in large part, because it does everything very well. It's not the best at any single thing, but it doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in any area.

Last edited by foosh; 03-04-2010 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
grantuk36
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
I have to agree in one major respect. I've owned more powerful and more exciting cars as well, but they've all become hard to live with with after a relatively short honeymoon.

I'm not getting tired of the M3, I think, in large part, because it does everything very well. It's not the best at any single thing, but it doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in any area.
Totally agree, all the other cars I've owned are good at certain things but just not the total package the M3 has to offer! ie: the R8 looked and sounded great but wasn't actually that fast and had a crappy manual gatted gearbox which was so cluncky and slow! Must agree that the paintwork on my M3 is perhaps the most orange peeley I have ever seen, shame on you BMW Am going to zymol clay bar then carbon wax it when the weather improves, this may not help the orange peel but atleast it will give it a nice shine
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
the R8 looked and sounded great but wasn't actually that fast
lol are we talking about the same car here ....the R8 can beat the new 997 turbo in performance ...and yr saying its not that fast !!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehead View Post
Quality wise its better than alot of cars , but at £50k+ on the road price tag, one would expect it to better and quieter than the 1 series Bmws

When you compare its to the E60 M5 , the E90x M3 is just abit less refine , don't get me wrong the M3 will please 99% of its owners.
Like I've said i am the odd one out.
I had to part with £38K on top of my old E60 M5...for a inferior car !

that my only "major " problem with the car .............
But the M5 is 70K+ specced up when new, go figure.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #16
Hayzi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Audi R8 faster than 997 Turbo? I disagree

The R8 V10 may give it a run for it's money but the 4.2 V8 won't
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
lol noboby mention thr R8 was a V8 !!!...as I presume most will only buy the V10
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #18
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
But the M5 is 70K+ specced up when new, go figure.
lol I know I had one
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #19
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehead View Post
lol I know I had one

I just hope the new M5 is not more than 65K, dreaming I suppose but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #20
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Having read all the posts on this thread I have to agree with the paint or rather the quality of it. I have noticed that "orange peel" appearance and even more so on the odd occasions the sun comes out!

This is my first M and prior to it had nothing but "sensible" cars so really not in a position to compare with R8's etc. Had mine now for nearly 6 months now so i guess the "honeymoon" period is over. That said, I have really enjoyed the car despite its little "niggles" which maybe too strong a word. But like Foosh says and I agree with him "It's not the best at any single thing, but it doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in any area"

Its the best car I've ever had and at the moment I wouldn't swap it for anything..........unless someone out there wants to do a straight swap for a Bugatti Veyron??????

Flapps
      03-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #21
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

I think this orange peel effect may only affect certain colors, I know two alpine whites including mine that has no sign of any peel effect and I live on the sea front open to all the elements. Maybe it has something to do with the darker shades absorbing the sunlight more then the white which is a none reflective?

Yes agree the M3 is the best all rounder......, but saying that I am currently looking at a C63 AMG with full performance pack....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Yes agree the M3 is the best all rounder......, but saying that I am currently looking at a C63 AMG with full performance pack....

i had looked at the Amg before i purchased the M3...imho the M3 is a better car , Mercedes just look/feels like its made for the old brigade
Appreciate 0