2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Geneva premiere

02-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
J-Raid
Private
Rep
Drives: E46

Thumbs up Geneva premiere

Hi,

I'll be attending the autoshow as press, and wanted to know if anyone else is going?

Also let me know if you have any requests, in terms, for example, of a detail to especially pay a closer look.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
freedevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Solara

Yes smuggle us some rides
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
elie06
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: F10 - 523i - Spacegrey 10/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Raid View Post
Hi,

I'll be attending the autoshow as press, and wanted to know if anyone else is going?

Also let me know if you have any requests, in terms, for example, of a detail to especially pay a closer look.

Cheers
Hi,

I'll be also attending on March the 3rd as VIP.
I can't wait to see the F10 in the flesh and maybe get a trial ride.

Cheers,

Elie
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
deshields
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009M3

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers
Im not going but make sure to post up some photos of the 5 series in any colors they show!
      02-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Curious to get some information about the M3 comp package (pictures would nice) and also the transmission options for the upcoming M5... heard they are thinking of 6spd..

Joe
      03-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
J-Raid
Private
Rep

Most likely I'll be on Wednesday.

Rather than focusing on taking photos (especially the typical ones) Ill try to take care of details, and form an opinion, which will be more useful than the typical blabla of press releases
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
J-Raid
Private
Rep

Hi, just back from the show

The feedback from the F10 is very positive.

Perhaps only downside is that the rear legroom is smaller than what it should be for the size of the car, but then again that has always been an issue at BMW, so no surprise. Though it is still more than enough for an adult (I'm 1.82m and even with the big front comfort seats I didn't touch them)

A little detail that surprised me was that the doors felt really light, which is very comfortable for accessing and getting out of the car.

Interior quality is really good, definitely much better than E60. I would say that it is the quality I've ever found in a BMW, 7 series aside.

The front ergonomics are excellent, I liked them even more than my already good (in that aspect) E46. Th i-Drive is just where it should be! Steering is very nice, too, and so is the shift lever (very short both in the manual and auto) and the +/- paddles behind the steering.

Boot/trunk was ok, perhaps not as great as it could be, but still will do fine for the needs of four persons on a 1 week trip. It had a quite big hole on the right side, and another one underneath, where normally is the replacement wheel/repair kit (will show in a photo). Though it seemed Run flats are still standard; not enough space even for a small replacement wheel.

Good thing is that there are plenty of compartments to leave things (Coins, keys, mobile, etc), though the 'glove compartment wasn't extremely spacious but on the good side its high positioning leaves more legroom.

There are a couple of nicely placed nets, one on the left of the boot/trunk, and another on the left of the front passenger legroom.

Something annoying is that the comfort seats are way too voluminous, which directly hampers the comfort of the rear passengers actually! Sports or standards are better in this aspect, and still nice enough for the front passengers.

About the looks, in real life it still looks very big (like a 7 series of not that long ago I would say), but it is very attractive. Ok, it may not be incredibly aggressive, but all front, rear and side view are very elegant and cool looking. Perhaps the least nice is when looking the front with an angle, and a bit highly placed...it looks like the nose is going to sink! The LEDs, especially the rear light ones, are spectacular.

Don't know if I'm forgetting anything...

Now I can't wait to drive it!

Will upload the photos in a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

J-Raid--

Thanks for the info. Look forward to the pictures. Which F10 models did you see? Any information on a M-Sport package?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Erasmus
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 528i F10

Quote:
Hi, just back from the show

The feedback from the F10 is very positive.

Perhaps only downside is that the rear legroom is smaller than what it should be for the size of the car, but then again that has always been an issue at BMW, so no surprise. Though it is still more than enough for an adult (I'm 1.82m and even with the big front comfort seats I didn't touch them)

A little detail that surprised me was that the doors felt really light, which is very comfortable for accessing and getting out of the car.

Interior quality is really good, definitely much better than E60. I would say that it is the quality I've ever found in a BMW, 7 series aside.

The front ergonomics are excellent, I liked them even more than my already good (in that aspect) E46. Th i-Drive is just where it should be! Steering is very nice, too, and so is the shift lever (very short both in the manual and auto) and the +/- paddles behind the steering.

Boot/trunk was ok, perhaps not as great as it could be, but still will do fine for the needs of four persons on a 1 week trip. It had a quite big hole on the right side, and another one underneath, where normally is the replacement wheel/repair kit (will show in a photo). Though it seemed Run flats are still standard; not enough space even for a small replacement wheel.

Good thing is that there are plenty of compartments to leave things (Coins, keys, mobile, etc), though the 'glove compartment wasn't extremely spacious but on the good side its high positioning leaves more legroom.

There are a couple of nicely placed nets, one on the left of the boot/trunk, and another on the left of the front passenger legroom.

Something annoying is that the comfort seats are way too voluminous, which directly hampers the comfort of the rear passengers actually! Sports or standards are better in this aspect, and still nice enough for the front passengers.

About the looks, in real life it still looks very big (like a 7 series of not that long ago I would say), but it is very attractive. Ok, it may not be incredibly aggressive, but all front, rear and side view are very elegant and cool looking. Perhaps the least nice is when looking the front with an angle, and a bit highly placed...it looks like the nose is going to sink! The LEDs, especially the rear light ones, are spectacular.

Don't know if I'm forgetting anything...

Now I can't wait to drive it!

Will upload the photos in a couple of days.

Seems to me that the talk about the comfort seats, etc is a typical sales persons talk. I've ordered the F10 with sport seats so I hope that it thrue though ...
      03-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
J-Raid
Private
Rep

@Erasmus, don't know what you mean exactly, but I don't come from the sales camp, but rather from the engineering camp
Personally I would go for the sports seats all the way, too

You should always check it in person yourself, though, before deciding. I've never ever thought of buying a car before checking it with detail and test driving it...

Ah, and I didn't say the front seats weren't bad in their comfort version...for the front passengers; the problem is when you plan to have adults in the rear seats too. Personally both the sports and comfort seats did their task well enough! But then again, without actually driving judgment isn't complete at all.

@Lux, no, I actually forgot (god forgive me! hehe) to ask about the M-package.
The 5 series that were available for getting in where 2 diesels, a 530d and a 520d, if I remember correctly.

One of them was fully equipped, that is, almost all the range of options, including comfort seats, soft close, boot/trunk auto close, 4-zone clima, etc. It was beige both outside and inside. It had the sport automatic gearbox, with the paddles behind the wheel

The other one, in white and painted with the Efficient Dynamics letters, including stating the 5.0l/100km and the CO2 emissions. Inside it was in black leather, and had the sports seats. It was manual. It didn't have many options on.

There were another 3 F10s, but none of them accessible. One of them was hanging at the top, in the "carousel" of Efficient Dynamics, the other one was the Hybrid Concept and the last one a gray one in a rotating platform.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
J-Raid
Private
Rep

Here is a gallery of the F10 in Geneva:
http://picasaweb.google.es/BMWSauber...BMW5SeriesF10#

189 pics, but not in the highest res (as otherwise it would take way too long to upload). Many of them are of details or things that weren't showed in the photos brought by BMW, as I tried to take a different approach.

Hope you enjoy them. If there's a specific one you would like in high res, let me know...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
Erasmus
Private
Netherlands
Rep

@J-Raid, Great pictures. I've enjoyed seeing all the details. Thanks man !!
      03-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
sfbayguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming in June: F10 535i

Great photos and nice write-up., thanks... love the 530d with the sophisto gray exterior and oyster interior, does that one have the sports pkg? ...great wheels too.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
@J-Raid, Great pictures. I've enjoyed seeing all the details. Thanks man !!
+1 Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
beeswax
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 5 SERIES

Hi everyone, its Mike here from Cheshire, England, UK. I'm enjoying this BMW site which I found by accident. Thanks to all the posters.

Just one question on the colour of the F10 that was mentioned as the Sophisto Grey? Can this be confirmed please as it looks like the Space Grey that I have seen in pics and the flesh but could be wrong. It does look the bees knees. I thought the Sophisto Grey was much darker, almost black?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
beeswax
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 5 SERIES

ie this one..

http://picasaweb.google.es/BMWSauber...61031439801394
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
Rudegar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 E500W

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
Hi everyone, its Mike here from Cheshire, England, UK. I'm enjoying this BMW site which I found by accident. Thanks to all the posters.

Just one question on the colour of the F10 that was mentioned as the Sophisto Grey? Can this be confirmed please as it looks like the Space Grey that I have seen in pics and the flesh but could be wrong. It does look the bees knees. I thought the Sophisto Grey was much darker, almost black?

Thanks.
Photos (particularly on a monitor) can be tricky. Also flash can add complications. The Sophisto Grey (I think that is what the photo is?) in that photo almost has a brown hue on my screen but I have seen it live on a 750i ("Dark Graphite Metallic" in U.S.) and it does not have a brown hue. Also, in daylight it IS very dark. Not close to black but darker than it appears in in Jraids (great) photoshoot. The Space Grey is a medium grey as I think you would describe it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 03:37 AM   #18
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
Seems to me that the talk about the comfort seats, etc is a typical sales persons talk. I've ordered the F10 with sport seats so I hope that it thrue though ...
I ordered the 535i with the sport seats, this is going to be my 8th BMW and they all had the sport seats. Never had any regrets. Imo the best choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #19
Erasmus
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeswax View Post

Thanks.
I am absolutely 100% positive that this car is Space Grey and not Sophisto Gray. I''e seen both in real live. And, it was a difficult call for me with grey I wanted; Tit.Silv. Space grey or Soph. Grey. I went for the Space Grey variant.

Don't get confused: do your research, because it is very difficult to discriminate between the three colors: it differs on every picture u see.

Last edited by Erasmus; 03-17-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
peramaje
Registered
Rep
Drives: 525d F10

Colour "Havanna"

Sorry Folks

This colour ist "Havanna" (I've been to Geneva and looked at this car).
Nice, isnt't? It's the colour of my new 525d that I will order next Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #21
sfbayguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming in June: F10 535i

Thank you for clarifying the color...Havanna...that is a great color, helps explain the slightly brownish tint! I knew it was not space grey but in a couple shots it looked sort of like sophisto grey, so was confused and chalked it up to the lighting.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Erasmus
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peramaje View Post
Sorry Folks

This colour ist "Havanna" (I've been to Geneva and looked at this car).
Nice, isnt't? It's the colour of my new 525d that I will order next Saturday.
I don't wanna be a party breaker, but it isn't Havana. Just look at picture nr. 43, it is the 530d as in the picture mentioned above (nr. 19). You can see that by looking at the guy behind the wheel following picture 19 towards picture 43 (it stays the same car). Picture 43 is cleary not havana. Even so, if the car is picture 19 is Havana, which colour is the same car than in picture 25?
ABSOLUTELY positive about the colour of the 530d: Space Grey. I've orderded mine F10 in Space Grey after seeing it in real life (as well as Sophisto Grey).

Last edited by Erasmus; 03-17-2010 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0