XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

02-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Better pics of my carbon-like roof look

Here some "better" pictures of my new carbon-like roof look, the actual look is darker and more matt but it was a very sunny day, so I got too much reflex from the sun, next week I will post same pictures with my new set of style 214 wheels.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
pha_roah
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i

I must say, this looks pretty nice.
What happened to your sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Fantastic.

Like the way you got the fabric patterns lined up at the panel lines.

I assume you bought some of that cf fabric and applied it with some type of adhesive?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pha_roah View Post
I must say, this looks pretty nice.
What happened to your sunroof?
Never had sunroof.....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Fantastic.

Like the way you got the fabric patterns lined up at the panel lines.

I assume you bought some of that cf fabric and applied it with some type of adhesive?
Product is made by 3M called DI-NOC, is self adhesive and was installed by a certified 3M installer, that's the reason job was well executed, he took care of all the details like aligning as much as possible the fabric patterns all over the roof
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Product is made by 3M called DI-NOC, is self adhesive and was installed by a certified 3M installer, that's the reason job was well executed, he took care of all the details like aligning as much as possible the fabric patterns all over the roof
I googled the words "3M DI-NOC" and a whole bunch of links popped up so it looks easy to get and not that terribly expensive either. It looks like a 4' x 6' sheet can be had for around $170 USD. Certainly a cool way to make you car look unique without spending a ton of money.

One outfit out of Michigan selling the product on ebay had several installation videos - pretty cool. I gather from the vids that it's a vinyl film that doesn't have a cf textured feel, right?

Last edited by teagueAMX; 02-21-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

looks great on white!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #8
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I googled the words "3M DI-NOC" and a whole bunch of links popped up so it looks easy to get and not that terribly expensive either. It looks like a 4' x 6' sheet can be had for around $170 USD. Certainly a cool way to make you car look unique without spending a ton of money.

One outfit out of Michigan selling the product on ebay had several installation videos - pretty cool. I gather from the vids that it's a vinyl film that doesn't have a cf textured feel, right?
Actually they told me is not vinyl, is PVC made which is more workable and more durable too, they gave me a 5 year warranty, I paid $150 for product installed which I found it a bargain
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually they told me is not vinyl, is PVC made which is more workable and more durable too, they gave me a 5 year warranty, I paid $150 for product installed which I found it a bargain
That sounds like a really good deal considering the quality of the product and install! Does great things for the look. You'll be one of the very few people world wide with a X6 roof with the CF look. Something all X6 ///M owners should be considering - I think the M3 cf roof looks great.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
vahram
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i coming soon

can it be removed if you a e leasing the vehicle without damaging the paint, like in 3 years ?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahram View Post
can it be removed if you a e leasing the vehicle without damaging the paint, like in 3 years ?
I'm guessing yes, just like the foil ppl have been doing lately.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vahram View Post
The people from 3M says it wont ruin the paint as far as the paint is from factory.... the way to remove the paint is to leave the car at sunlight until surface is very hot and start removing the film, it will peel off easily they say.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver X6

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Looks great, thanks for posting the better pics!!! Wanted to ask you how they went about covering your "rails"? Were they done with the di-noc or painted being they are pretty jagged? Thanks and congrats!!
      02-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHI View Post
Looks great, thanks for posting the better pics!!! Wanted to ask you how they went about covering your "rails"? Were they done with the di-noc or painted being they are pretty jagged? Thanks and congrats!!
They were done using same DI-NOC CF material, this was maybe the most time consuming part of the whole job. My car had roof racks, but I decided to remove the racks to give a slicker look to the roof line. The problem is that the rails have 4 big rectangular holes where the racks base's are bolted to the roof.

So I told the installer to cover those holes with the same material, we placed a thin plastic piece inside the rails ( like trying to cover the holes in some way) that way the adhesive surface will have a surface to stick on.
You can clearly see the hole's shapes.
I'm not sure if the car will look the same if I re-install the racks back on......??

In case I decide not to install the racks, I have 2 choices, leave it the way they are today, or buy 2 plain rails (without the holes) and have them replaced ( that's a $250 issue....)

What would you do ?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:25 AM   #15
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
They were done using same DI-NOC CF material, this was maybe the most time consuming part of the whole job. My car had roof racks, but I decided to remove the racks to give a slicker look to the roof line. The problem is that the rails have 4 big rectangular holes where the racks base's are bolted to the roof.

So I told the installer to cover those holes with the same material, we placed a thin plastic piece inside the rails ( like trying to cover the holes in some way) that way the adhesive surface will have a surface to stick on.
You can clearly see the hole's shapes.
I'm not sure if the car will look the same if I re-install the racks back on......??

In case I decide not to install the racks, I have 2 choices, leave it the way they are today, or buy 2 plain rails (without the holes) and have them replaced ( that's a $250 issue....)

What would you do ?

Yea I figured that was an issue when my guy looked at it. Although your end result came out great, I'll probably just end up leaving them alone when doing mine. As for your roof racks, I would leave them alone. It looks great the way it is not to mention there is no need to acquire the extra cost. Personally I would use the $250 to tint your tail lights and slap a spoiler with the same di-noc coating on the back. That is my plan, di-noc carbon fiber roof, tint rears, and di-noc spoiler. Here is a white with similar mods....

02-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=SKYHI;6778857]Yea I figured that was an issue when my guy looked at it. Although your end result came out great, I'll probably just end up leaving them alone when doing mine. As for your roof racks, I would leave them alone. It looks great the way it is not to mention there is no need to acquire the extra cost. Personally I would use the $250 to tint your tail lights and slap a spoiler with the same di-noc coating on the back. That is my plan, di-noc carbon fiber roof, tint rears, and di-noc spoiler. Here is a white with similar mods....

Thanks for your feedback, regarding the roof rails, I will leave them as they are until something hapens to those holes. Regarding the rear lip spoiler, there are a couple of sellers selling rear lips on E-bay one has a "buy now" at $18.50 ( sounds like a scam......) the other one is $66, here's the link:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...poiler&_sacat=
Send pics when you finish your work, by the way, what color is your car ?
Take care !
Bernie
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=motex;6780549]
Quote:
Yea I figured that was an issue when my guy looked at it. Although your end result came out great, I'll probably just end up leaving them alone when doing mine. As for your roof racks, I would leave them alone. It looks great the way it is not to mention there is no need to acquire the extra cost. Personally I would use the $250 to tint your tail lights and slap a spoiler with the same di-noc coating on the back. That is my plan, di-noc carbon fiber roof, tint rears, and di-noc spoiler. Here is a white with similar mods....

Thanks for your feedback, regarding the roof rails, I will leave them as they are until something hapens to those holes. Regarding the rear lip spoiler, there are a couple of sellers selling rear lips on E-bay one has a "buy now" at $18.50 ( sounds like a scam......) the other one is $66, here's the link:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...poiler&_sacat=
Send pics when you finish your work, by the way, what color is your car ?
Take care !
Bernie

Yea I've seen the one listed for $18, I think with shipping it comes to almost $50. Note that it is unpainted. I will order mine painted to match my vehicle then put the Di-NOC over it in case I have to take the Di-NOC off for any reason. My X6 is Titanium Silver, it's the one pictured in my avatar. I'll definitely shoot pics as soon as it's wrapped up. I'm installing the Juice Box Stage 3 first so it may be a couple weeks to get it all done but I will keep you posted!! Good talking!!
      02-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=SKYHI;6780965]
Quote:

Yea I've seen the one listed for $18, I think with shipping it comes to almost $50. Note that it is unpainted. I will order mine painted to match my vehicle then put the Di-NOC over it in case I have to take the Di-NOC off for any reason. My X6 is Titanium Silver, it's the one pictured in my avatar. I'll definitely shoot pics as soon as it's wrapped up. I'm installing the Juice Box Stage 3 first so it may be a couple weeks to get it all done but I will keep you posted!! Good talking!!
Have you seen the one coming from BMW performance , check this pic
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=motex;6781998]
Quote:

Have you seen the one coming from BMW performance , check this pic
Yea it looks cool in the pic, would have to see it in person honestly. I'm afraid it may stick out too much for my liking but who knows. Guess we'll have to wait until nest month to get a price right?