ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: What Aftermarket Sway Bars Are You Using
DINAN 1 10.00%
Hotchkis 2 20.00%
H&R 2 20.00%
Other (please name in a post) 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

02-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
daveysew
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '91 318is/'05 Z4 SC/'18 440ix

Aftermarket Sway Bars

Hi all, looking at adding a set of aftermarket sway bars to go along with my KW V3's (thanks **********s.com) & was wondering who's done what to their Z's. Mine specifically is an '05 3.0 with sport package. Right now I'm looking at the Hotchkis ones, with H&R, and DINAN as other options. I don't know too much about Hotchkis (I think North American muscle cars with this brand), but my mechanic doesn't speak very highly of H&R and am having a hard time justifying the price of the DINAN's (~$800 for a set versus ~$400 for a set of the other brands). I don't want to bash DINAN about their pricing as I do think they make very good, reliable, user friendly parts for street and track use, but it's a one piece steel bar... is it really that much better to justify double the price of the other 2 brands? Let me know what you got, why you got it, and what you think about it now you got it.

Thanks,
dave
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Ground Control.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
Ground Control.
+1.... amazing quality!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

I have an H&R bar on the front of my 07 coupe and just picked a matching rear, but haven't got around to installing it yet. I think that H&R doesn't make bars for the Z4M, which is why you'll see the M folks mostly with Ground Controls.

I wouldn't overthink the brand of bar too much. They're all high quality, but differ a bit in stiffness. In particular the Hotchkis bars are 1-2 mm thicker than the HR bars and consequently somewhat stiffer. All these bars are adjustable though, so unless you're maxing out the adjustment on the H&Rs I don't see where the Hotchkis buys you much more.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
zeroselect
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I would recommend the swaybar from a M Coupe. The M swaybar is more than enough and if it feels it isn't you might wanna look for stiffer springs.
Spare Track: 93 Nissan 240sx
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroselect View Post
I would recommend the swaybar from a M Coupe. The M swaybar is more than enough and if it feels it isn't you might wanna look for stiffer springs.
The front sway bar from a Z4M ought to fit the non-M (perhaps with minor modification), but I don't know anyone who's made a rear Z4M bar fit on a non-M.

FWIW the diameter of the front Z4M bar and the H&R front bar are the same (27mm) and they ought to provide similar stiffness, though the H&R is adjustable. The Hotchkis front bar, at 28mm, is the only stiffer one I know for the Z4. These are all quite a bit bigger than the stock front bar for the non-M: 24mm standard and 25mm sport.

The rear bars vary a bit more. If I recall correctly, the Z4M rear bar is 22mm while the H&R is 21 and the Hotchkis a whopping 24mm. The stock diameters on the non-M are 18mm standard and 19mm sport. Interestingly, TC Kline actually uses a smaller 17mm rear bar in their set up for the Z4. So there's an awfully broad range of set up options one can play with here.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
Zed4M26
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I have the H&R front sway (same as the e46 M3) for the front only. There are three adjustments. I have it on medium now and the car feels good. I also have the tck d/a kit so I cant speak for an equal comparison to stock.