E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My overview to BMW

11-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Zadjali
Second Lieutenant
Oman
Rep
Drives: 2007 Crimson E92

Unhappy My overview to BMW

Hello guys,

From what I have seen from BMW recently I have came out with this overview.

Well by the time from 90’s, tell the END OF 90’s BMW was fine with designs. It was the maker which the entire world waiting for its designs year after year. At the time many makers was designing their vehicles with the same design in the different sizes such as Mercedes-Benz and Audi, also BMW. The designs were so close together even it was difficult to differentiate between the models especially with Mercedes Benz models. From the beginning of the 21 century, the concept of the same designs been cleared. I will not write about the other makers, but I will write about BMW designs (Revolutionary designs). Therefore, the beginning was with the Z8 then Z4 next with the 7er, which was unrealistic design for many peoples and fans. I was wondering if BMW started to design their vehicles to export it to Mars! I do not know really whom are the designers in the company, but any ugly design in mentioned, I hear after that “Chris Bangle”!

However all makers are going in the way to win the interest of customers, but the only maker that I can see it not caring about the customers is BMW. Yes, BMW is not caring about their customers such as in the past. I have reviewed some concepts in BMW and here what I got,

List of BMW problems,

1. Split exhaust pipes

In 1994 BMW has designed the 7 series (E38) with split exhaust pipes which was giving the car sporty rear view, specially when its was available with 4 pipes design. But seems to me BMW was not happy with the success of the idea and change it in E65 which give it an ugly exhaust pipes in left only!. Most of cars makers are going to produce their cars with a spilt exhaust pipes which make the car looks great, sporty and luxury depends in the need. However, BMW did not care about their customers and fans and it steel producing nice cars with ugly exhaust pipes in the left only (1, 3, 5, 7 and X3).

Sometimes, I am thinking, maybe BMW making such thing because they are worrying so customers will just install M3 or M5 kit easy with real exhaust design! So the sales of the M models will fall if any one was able to install the OEM M kit in their normal vehicles.

2. M Aerodynamic Kit E92

All of BMW fans who want there vehicles to be look little such as the M models they can order the M aerodynamic kit so the car will look gorgeous but BMW disappointed E92 customers with the ugly kit and rear spoiler. Imagine how the car will look like if the aerodynamic kit design was such as the E90’s design. Can some one tell me what they are thinking of?

3. LED

When all the makers are going fast to add the LED technology to their vehicles BMW just set and watching what is going on. Suddenly BMW surprised them with the hot facelift for the E46 with the gorgeous LED taillights. That was one of the coolest thing ever I saw it in that time, Again BMW disappointing the world with the E92 taillights, which is including only horizontal LED light and not for the breaking and turn signal.

When the entire world is going to add this feature to their cars BMW is just removing it like an old idea!

4. Individual program

This section is the most exciting after the M power section. The section where the designers should set and let the customers builds their cars.
Here you able to choose special colors, even you can paint your car with 2 paints such as with the E38 models. In addition, you can add hot interior colors, trims, leather, wheels…etc
Now days I think there is no taste for the individual program. Now is just like adding black term in the dash and big wheels for your BMW.

5. M line

I cannot say that BMW is bad in M section. With the successful that BMW has gained from the current and the previous M lines, I think it is enough to say that M powers is leading the sporty vehicles in it class. However, is these models from BMW are enough to face the other makers? If you would ask me, I would say NO! Because I can see, BMW is doing nothing when the S-Class AMG and the S8 is going in the road. Where is the M7 from this kind of vehicles!?. There is a lot M models had to add to the product line and I hope all the series can have an M model.

6. Plastic Interiors

Plastic and classic is the language of BMW interior. I think BMW has much more plastic to add it especially in the dashboard. Like I feel a TOY!. BMW have to work more to come out with an interior that can look little live able with it.

7. Ugly Gauge

The gauge is a part of the interior where it is in the front of you eyes all the time. I think it is very cool to see some exciting gauge then looking at old and classic gauge. Please BMW learn from Lexus and Mercedes-Benz this thing.

8. Wheels

Wheels are the shoes of the car. So if the shoes will not fit with body design so its will make the whole car looks stupid. BMW now not like the past when we was watching the creativity of designs with the wheels. Now days I cannot say there are hot wheels such as in the past. Wondering if there is any nice OEM wheels look nice in the E90!

9. Old women Face.

Old woman face on car!? YES! Don’t be surprised. This is the last BMW concepts with the headlight design. We can see the headlights are dissolutive in the ends. I do not know what this should mean but what I have recognize recently that BMW is trying the apply this concept with all it model lines.
Sometimes the headlights designed in nice way such as in the E46 coupe and sometimes its looks ugly especially with the seven series E65!

10.Design for Facelift!

BMW nowadays are designing their vehicles and they are knew that it need some modifications before it has should be lunched to the market, But they are not doing that so they are able to modify that specific place in the next facelift of the generation. I’m very sorry for that, Because people are asking how is the facelift is will look like from the 1st official photos of the generation.

and many other things have to be changed in BMW AG.

Finally, I know there are peoples whom are sharing me the same ideas and the others do not, but in the end, it is just MY overview to BMW.

Waiting for your comments.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zadjali; 11-02-2006 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quite a long post, I read 2/3 of it and decided to respond and ignore the last topic on headlight. You are entitle to you opinion just like everyone. From reading your post, I concluded that you are a fan of bmw (at least in the past). You also kept up with many of their models. My statement to this is bmw does not follow and in a way I like that but in a way, I loose out on nice things like LED tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Well by the time from 90’s, tell the END OF 90’s BMW was fine with designs. It was the maker which the entire world waiting for its designs year after year.
Errrr over here in the states I distinctly remember (pre-Bangle) BMW being criticized for being too traditional, conservative and understated. Too focused on motor and handling and less attention to styling. I highly doubt the world ... at least not my part of it ... was waiting to see what BMW could do with the standard 3 box next.

Here you bought a BMW because a) you were an enthusiast that wanted the best handling family car you could get b) yuppie that thought MB was for old people c) brand/marketing whore that was moving up from Honda.

(I belonged to C before I became an A).

I could care less about LEDs and tailpipe design. As long as I've got RWD, 4drs and a manual transmission, I'm a happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
Errrr over here in the states I distinctly remember (pre-Bangle) BMW being criticized for being too traditional, conservative and understated. Too focused on motor and handling and less attention to styling. I highly doubt the world ... at least not my part of it ... was waiting to see what BMW could do with the standard 3 box next.

Here you bought a BMW because a) you were an enthusiast that wanted the best handling family car you could get b) yuppie that thought MB was for old people c) brand/marketing whore that was moving up from Honda.

(I belonged to C before I became an A).

I could care less about LEDs and tailpipe design. As long as I've got RWD, 4drs and a manual transmission, I'm a happy camper.
obLu, you tell me you would buy this if it was the next 3 series with RWD, 4drs and manual? jj
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
obLu
Major
Rep

Quote:
obLu, you tell me you would buy this if it was the next 3 series with RWD, 4drs and manual?
Hey, I bought an e90 didn't I (damn ugly car if you ask me)?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
Zadjali
Second Lieutenant
Oman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
obLu, you tell me you would buy this if it was the next 3 series with RWD, 4drs and manual? jj
Or one of these?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
Zadjali
Second Lieutenant
Oman
Rep

Quote:
E90 will not be ugly with some modifications!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
obLu
Major
Rep

Modifications being a complete body panel replacement?

Details don't change the overall shape or lines of a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadjali
E90 will not be ugly with some modifications!
that is where you and i differ. I like e90 body (something different).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
just picking on you bro...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
tokion
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

yeah, i'm kinda agree with you with some stuff bmw have done to their cars design. I wish they didn't take out the LED tail brake light for the e92.
I think BMW is playing the game right now, maybe later next year they will add the LED back to the e92.

Honestly, i don't feel impress with the new M-Kit on the coupe neither and look at the spoiler, so japanese.. what are they thinking?

Sames as the alloy wheel (e92), the design is so simple and the dashboard doesn't feel like a stealth cockpit anymore.

can some one forward this post to Chris Bangle?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokion
yeah, i'm kinda agree with you with some stuff bmw have done to their cars design. I wish they didn't take out the LED tail brake light for the e92.
I think BMW is playing the game right now, maybe later next year they will add the LED back to the e92.

Honestly, i don't feel impress with the new M-Kit on the coupe neither and look ook at the spoiler, so japanese.. what are they thinking?

Sames as the alloy wheel, the design is so simple and the dashboard doesn't feel like a stealth cockpit anymore.

the 330i sport alloy wheel (162 I think its name) is a big hit among the members here.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #13
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:

Honestly, i don't feel impress with the new M-Kit on the coupe neither and look ook at the spoiler, so japanese.. what are they thinking?

Sames as the alloy wheel, the design is so simple and the dashboard doesn't feel like a stealth cockpit anymore.

I agree................I think more and more people are missing the old style interior, also car magazines refer only to often to the boring current interior design.
From what I have understood, BMW is maybe trying a carefull return to the driver oriented cockpit........................lets hope so...................
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
tokion
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

sorry i meant the e92 wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Zadjali...well you brought up some interesting points.

A couple of things:

1) The E38's split exhaust was mostly hidden by the rear apron

2) Wrt E92's Aero kit (not a full-fledged M-tech kit) looks/styling is subjective, but it appears that the kit irl looks a lot better. Can't save the deck spoiler though.

3) Can't comment on the LEDs. It might be a styling/design issue rather than reluctance to adopt the technology

4) True, BMW Individual offer set packages on various models . Aside from that, they can still outfit your BMWs pretty much any way....they are limited by your budget and your imagination.

5) Every manufacturer have different strategies and philosophies. I think the M models are very focused and purposeful compare with the various AMG and S-line cars. I don't think an M7 will fit with their program, neither does the X5 variant (that's why they prefer to call it the X5 4.8s). Looking back, they were reluctant to call the E24 hotted up version as a full blown M6 (only in NA market), preferring M635CSi. Same goes for the 850CSi eventhough it carried a WBS VIN number. The E63/64 M6 is in the same hardcore philopsophy as the other M cars.

6) Most modern day cars employ extensive plastics. I think BMW materials are still very good (behind VW Audi) and better than MB's plastics. Its not just costs, there is pressure to have a % content of recyclable materials.

7) You don't like "old and classic gauge"?? I guess you'd hate the gauges on the Bentleys and Aston Martins as well then...If you want exciting gauges buy the new Civic. I'd be pissed if BMW employs the 'Tokyo by Night' direction for their gauges...

8) You don't like the 162s on the E90??

9) You don't like the corona rings aka angel eyes? I do agree that the Dame Edna looks need some getting used to though...but it grows on you. Again, its subjective.

10) Fine tuning at its best...all car marques do this. Look at the master of fine tuning i.e. Porsche and their 911s

Hate it or love it, BMW sales are hot. Other car marques are adopting key Bangle elements.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Most of your points are just opinions, which is fair, but thus subjective.
I have to disagree with you on most of them.

one example being the LED lights, sure, its the "hot" things to do but then again, the Honda Accord has LED taillights, not taking anything away from the honda accord, but NO other Manufacturer has the angel eyes/corona rings or the horizontal led tubes in the brake light, which i absolutely LOVE!

And the interior cockpit/dashboard design is something that is very pleasing to me. Sitting in my e92 at night is a pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #17
elalona
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: E39-03' E92 335 since 11DEC06

I think BM dont follow other or they just show them how the car should be and then they went to something new {or OLD but New idea}
when the BM come with 740il E38 it was not just a car it's something the world never seen before, at the same time the S class was one of the best at its time but the new 7er ends the S days. then the move come from MB to introduce the new S which has the same idea of shaping the car. the BM just show them the time was for a big sedan and the E65 come out.
finally you can see the S how it went back to it's 90 style.

in BM it not all about the shape or design its alos time, and this what BM is good at.

they offer you the best car at the best time.

Customer only knows how the want to fell but they don’t know what will give them this fell before they see it and BM since this felling and star to sketch there design.

When i think which car i like X Z 7 6 5 or 3
i came to one thing each one can be my car and each one have a time to drive and each one can put me in different mood and style, but at the end they are all BMW which i like to drive.

By the way since I drive my first BM in 98 [730i] till today with my E39 530i I fell my car can talk to me and every day you will find some thing new in your BM and it will show it to you when you need it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #18
sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Cayman

Exclamation

Zadjali, everyone is entitled to his opinions — even if those opinions are wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #19
bimmer
BMW FOREVER
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarch1
Most of your points are just opinions, which is fair, but thus subjective.
I have to disagree with you on most of them.

one example being the LED lights, sure, its the "hot" things to do but then again, the Honda Accord has LED taillights, not taking anything away from the honda accord, but NO other Manufacturer has the angel eyes/corona rings or the horizontal led tubes in the brake light, which i absolutely LOVE!

And the interior cockpit/dashboard design is something that is very pleasing to me. Sitting in my e92 at night is a pleasure.

my words exactly :rocks:
Man, if someone don't like e90 335 with sport pack than they need a bicycle. I don't see any other car in 30 grand range that come close to that design. I will not mention how super comfortable is inside especially at night.

Thinking of F80
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #20
Zadjali
Second Lieutenant
Oman
Rep

Quote:
that is where you and i differ. I like e90 body (something different).
I agree with you in that. I like the body style also but not the rear design. If the black lines taillights offered as standard equipment, I think that will be enough.

Quote:
So again, they are planning for the facelift from the beginning!

Quote:
the 330i sport alloy wheel (162 I think its name) is a big hit among the members here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
8) You don't like the 162s on the E90??

They were able to do something better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
1) The E38's split exhaust was mostly hidden by the rear apron
Not in this one, It was there with the individual program.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #21
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Two observations:
(1) What a respectful, good-natured list this is. No flames!
(2) I think BMW could do a lot better on the design front, but that is not my priority. Frankly, it would bother me a bit if BMW attracted the type of buyer that goes for looks over engineering. Freude am fahren!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #22
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
We all buy cars for different reasons. Even within any one brand this is true. Your opinions are valid and well stated, but I don't share them all. It was actually the design of the E90 that hooked me, and the driving dynamics were a bonus.

You can't sit still or rest on laurels in the auto industry. Like it or not, the only constant is change. Personally, I think BMW knocked one out of the park with the E90.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0