E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My E92 335i arrived - first impressions

10-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
citkane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My E92 335i arrived - first impressions

Got a phone call from the dealership today, my 335i has arrived several days early. Received the car around noon and took the rest of the day off for an extended first drive

Funny enough, the car came exactly with all the options ordered:
Titanium Silver, Black Dakota, Black Trim (European option), Prof. Nav+Idrive, sport package (189 rims, electric sports seats), ,steptronic + paddles, PDC front+rear, BMW assist, folding mirrors, lumbar support, comfort access, cold weather package

Here are a couple of first impressions, my current (and now "ex" car) is an E60 530d (as in diesel). For your information, I only got to test drive a 325i before ordering and this is the first 335i delivered to my dealer.

Engine:
Very nice sound, much like a subtle growling. Very pleasing, even with the windows up. Can´t say much about the power at wide open throttle yet due to break in. Having said that, I did redline it a couple of times, plus stretched the 4500rpm limit a little. Don´t think the engine will explode if one is still a little bit careful about giving it the stick.

BTW, need I mention that the engine sounds a lot nicer than the 3l diesel?

Regarding the overheating / temperature issue. The car ran at around 110-125 deg C which is approximately 230-240 deg F. On the Euro model, the needle is left of the center on the oil temperature scale.

Also I was told today that the turbos in the 335i are not only cooled/lubed with oil, but water-cooled on top of that. Since the water coolant circuit is still active once the car is turned off, one needs to worry less about the turbos overheating after turning the car off. Oh and by the way, I did not notice a turbo lag, nor was I able to hear a turbo whine (much in contrast to the 530d).

Gas consumption for today (around 120km total), 13l/100km which is 18.1 mpg. Not too bad, considering I wasn´t pampering the car.

Steptronic:
During the past weeks I did get severe second (and third+fourth) thoughts about the decision to get the steptronic. This cost me a couple of sleepless nights since I hated the auto/step in the E60 and was talked into getting it in the E92.
As of now, I´m really glad I did and here´s why.
In standard D mode the step shifts up very very early. Extremely comfortable to drive. The engine sounds and feels a little muted, the ride is smooth but throttle response is so so. For quick acceleration you really need to floor the pedal somewhat and downshifts are, in my opinion, too slow. But then this is the comfy mode and a more economical approach designed to conserve gas and make things smooth. Your passengers will love D
This also means having a cup of cofee on the way to work is not problem at all...
Now in DS, it´s a totally different story. The car feels very agressive and jumpy from the start. Even if you try to take a laid back approach while in DS, this setting will still produce a wonderful engine sound at all speeds plus the throttle will react instantly to even slight twitches of your right foot.
As others have mentioned, there is a short delay/lag before the car gets going from a full stop, in both D and DS. Not really annoying though.
Needless to say, I love the DS mode. The step even downshifts (engine brakes) when approaching a stop light. And during shifts (especially when accelerating hard) it sounds very much as if the gears were shifted manually.
Now if you really floor the pedal and redline the engine, the step will, again in DS, keep the current gear in place at very high rpms even if you ease off the throttle. Very very sporty!
I won´t go into much detail regarding manual mode with the step or the paddles. Tried them both, of course, but not really in a scientific manner. Don´t like the paddles much and think they would be more useful with active steering. With the superb DS mode, I don´t see much use in fiddling with the step in manual mode anyway.

Handling:
It was raining all day and outside temperatures were around 10 deg C / 50 deg F. Since it´s fall, the roads are also getting a little slippery with leaves everywhere.
Due to the roads being wet, traction was a major issue with the power delivery of this car, both from a stand still and up to cruising speed (around 100km/h, 62 mph).
What caught me entirely by suprise is the fact that the tail would start to spin out even with slight acelleration coming out of corners (too early on the pedal). DSC will of course master this nicely, glad it works so well.
I would assume 275 tires might be better suited for the 335i. Had those on the E60 and no significant traction or oversteer problems ever.

To sum things up, being a BMW, the E92 handling is as expected, very close to perfect. Coming from the E60, which has a very direct steering and handles very nicely as well, I am very satisfied. We´ll see what it´s all about when the roads are back to normal.

Interiour:
Most of you know what the couple looks like from the inside. All I can say is, everything is in the right place and it all looks and feels pretty great
I feel much more comfortable in the E92 coupe than in the E60, some of the plastics in the E60 looked cheap. Not so in the 3 series (my opinion).

Idrive/Nav:
Since I had the cheaper European entry combo caled "Business navigation" in the E60, I´ve gotten quite used to operating the Idrive. This time I decided to get the "Professional navigation", which is basically the same thing plus the colored map feature (the cheap version only has arrows+voice).
Basically the "big" nav is a wonderful system, but it does have one very significant drawback. It is very very slow... Press the Idrive button and wait...
The old and cheaper system ist lightyears faster. Apparently this nav is slow in all BMW models, at least that´s what I was told today. I Don´t know what the engineers at BMW were thinking, but I´ll probably get used to it..

Comfort Access:
This one works for me It even locks/unlocks nicely in the rain. Glad I got it, didn´t have to pull the key out of my jacket once today.

Misc:
The new curve+cornering lights are fabulous. Even better than those in the E60.
The suspension + the rims are fine but a slight bit on the harsh side. Glad I didn´t get the 19" factory rims (230).

Finally some useless gimmicks and criticism, please don´t take this too seriously:
To confirm other reviews, the safety belt "butler" is flimsy, I think it might not last long.
Hill assist, didn´t notice it yet, luckily, it´s no use with the step.

Neither is the "Driving the Queen of England" soft brake assist thingy (or whatever it´s called in real life), which at least hasn´t made any negative impact yet. Maybe they forgot to program these features on this car... :-)

Now to the most useless and money-wasting feature of them all and I don´t even know if you guys in North America get to order this one. Having said that, I can´t even tell you the correct translation. Basically it´s the automatic low beam / high beam adjustment the car makes based on light measured from traffic in front of you. All I can say is it doesn´t work properly in my car. On a stretch of 10 km testing it, I had three cars flash at me because this thing was too late going back to the low beam. On top of that, I have no idea yet how to turn it off permanently (or even better get the 130 Euro back that this nonsense cost).

If I find the time and a camera, I´ll add a few pictures over the weekend.
To sum things up, all expectations have been met so far, this is really a wonderful car!

P.S: This 335i still has license plates from the dealership and before it is registered permanently, I have an option to return it tomorrow and upgrade it to a 2007 Z4 M coupe (which comes with a manual and even more traction control problems). Any thoughts on that one?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Neon21db
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi Q8

nice review
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
TrailBraker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Thanks for the review. Let us know how 155 MPH feels in the car.
      10-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Hossam
Private
Rep
Drives: 323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by citkane
P.S: This 335i still has license plates from the dealership and before it is registered permanently, I have an option to return it tomorrow and upgrade it to a 2007 Z4 M coupe (which comes with a manual and even more traction control problems). Any thoughts on that one?

The fun of the manual transmission might be worth it especially in a tight car like the Z4M. Go try ande decide!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
citkane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossam
The fun of the manual transmission might be worth it especially in a tight car like the Z4M. Go try ande decide!
YouŽre right on the money. But... Since I already "tried" the E92, my dealer will most likely not want his brand new (in the showroom) Z4M to be converted into a test-car as well
Thinking about it, the 335i coupe is plenty fast and rough as it is. Ah well, letŽs see how I feel about this in the morning...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
fnu02
King
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bugatti

Please post pics, I love the black trim option with black leather, wish they

had that option here in the U.S, but us americans are always gettin screwed!

Quote:
Got a phone call from the dealership today, my 335i has arrived several days early. Received the car around noon and took the rest of the day off for an extended first drive

Funny enough, the car came exactly with all the options ordered:
Titanium Silver, Black Dakota, Black Trim (European option), Prof. Nav+Idrive, sport package (189 rims, electric sports seats), ,steptronic + paddles, PDC front+rear, BMW assist, folding mirrors, lumbar support, comfort access, cold weather package

Here are a couple of first impressions, my current (and now "ex" car) is an E60 530d (as in diesel). For your information, I only got to test drive a 325i before ordering and this is the first 335i delivered to my dealer.

Engine:
Very nice sound, much like a subtle growling. Very pleasing, even with the windows up. CanŽt say much about the power at wide open throttle yet due to break in. Having said that, I did redline it a couple of times, plus stretched the 4500rpm limit a little. DonŽt think the engine will explode if one is still a little bit careful about giving it the stick.

BTW, need I mention that the engine sounds a lot nicer than the 3l diesel?

Regarding the overheating / temperature issue. The car ran at around 110-125 deg C which is approximately 230-240 deg F. On the Euro model, the needle is left of the center on the oil temperature scale.

Also I was told today that the turbos in the 335i are not only cooled/lubed with oil, but water-cooled on top of that. Since the water coolant circuit is still active once the car is turned off, one needs to worry less about the turbos overheating after turning the car off. Oh and by the way, I did not notice a turbo lag, nor was I able to hear a turbo whine (much in contrast to the 530d).

Gas consumption for today (around 120km total), 13l/100km which is 18.1 mpg. Not too bad, considering I wasnŽt pampering the car.

Steptronic:
During the past weeks I did get severe second (and third+fourth) thoughts about the decision to get the steptronic. This cost me a couple of sleepless nights since I hated the auto/step in the E60 and was talked into getting it in the E92.
As of now, IŽm really glad I did and hereŽs why.
In standard D mode the step shifts up very very early. Extremely comfortable to drive. The engine sounds and feels a little muted, the ride is smooth but throttle response is so so. For quick acceleration you really need to floor the pedal somewhat and downshifts are, in my opinion, too slow. But then this is the comfy mode and a more economical approach designed to conserve gas and make things smooth. Your passengers will love D
This also means having a cup of cofee on the way to work is not problem at all...
Now in DS, itŽs a totally different story. The car feels very agressive and jumpy from the start. Even if you try to take a laid back approach while in DS, this setting will still produce a wonderful engine sound at all speeds plus the throttle will react instantly to even slight twitches of your right foot.
As others have mentioned, there is a short delay/lag before the car gets going from a full stop, in both D and DS. Not really annoying though.
Needless to say, I love the DS mode. The step even downshifts (engine brakes) when approaching a stop light. And during shifts (especially when accelerating hard) it sounds very much as if the gears were shifted manually.
Now if you really floor the pedal and redline the engine, the step will, again in DS, keep the current gear in place at very high rpms even if you ease off the throttle. Very very sporty!
I wonŽt go into much detail regarding manual mode with the step or the paddles. Tried them both, of course, but not really in a scientific manner. DonŽt like the paddles much and think they would be more useful with active steering. With the superb DS mode, I donŽt see much use in fiddling with the step in manual mode anyway.

Handling:
It was raining all day and outside temperatures were around 10 deg C / 50 deg F. Since itŽs fall, the roads are also getting a little slippery with leaves everywhere.
Due to the roads being wet, traction was a major issue with the power delivery of this car, both from a stand still and up to cruising speed (around 100km/h, 62 mph).
What caught me entirely by suprise is the fact that the tail would start to spin out even with slight acelleration coming out of corners (too early on the pedal). DSC will of course master this nicely, glad it works so well.
I would assume 275 tires might be better suited for the 335i. Had those on the E60 and no significant traction or oversteer problems ever.

To sum things up, being a BMW, the E92 handling is as expected, very close to perfect. Coming from the E60, which has a very direct steering and handles very nicely as well, I am very satisfied. WeŽll see what itŽs all about when the roads are back to normal.

Interiour:
Most of you know what the couple looks like from the inside. All I can say is, everything is in the right place and it all looks and feels pretty great
I feel much more comfortable in the E92 coupe than in the E60, some of the plastics in the E60 looked cheap. Not so in the 3 series (my opinion).

Idrive/Nav:
Since I had the cheaper European entry combo caled "Business navigation" in the E60, IŽve gotten quite used to operating the Idrive. This time I decided to get the "Professional navigation", which is basically the same thing plus the colored map feature (the cheap version only has arrows+voice).
Basically the "big" nav is a wonderful system, but it does have one very significant drawback. It is very very slow... Press the Idrive button and wait...
The old and cheaper system ist lightyears faster. Apparently this nav is slow in all BMW models, at least thatŽs what I was told today. I DonŽt know what the engineers at BMW were thinking, but IŽll probably get used to it..

Comfort Access:
This one works for me It even locks/unlocks nicely in the rain. Glad I got it, didnŽt have to pull the key out of my jacket once today.

Misc:
The new curve+cornering lights are fabulous. Even better than those in the E60.
The suspension + the rims are fine but a slight bit on the harsh side. Glad I didnŽt get the 19" factory rims (230).

Finally some useless gimmicks and criticism, please donŽt take this too seriously:
To confirm other reviews, the safety belt "butler" is flimsy, I think it might not last long.
Hill assist, didnŽt notice it yet, luckily, itŽs no use with the step.

Neither is the "Driving the Queen of England" soft brake assist thingy (or whatever itŽs called in real life), which at least hasnŽt made any negative impact yet. Maybe they forgot to program these features on this car... :-)

Now to the most useless and money-wasting feature of them all and I donŽt even know if you guys in North America get to order this one. Having said that, I canŽt even tell you the correct translation. Basically itŽs the automatic low beam / high beam adjustment the car makes based on light measured from traffic in front of you. All I can say is it doesnŽt work properly in my car. On a stretch of 10 km testing it, I had three cars flash at me because this thing was too late going back to the low beam. On top of that, I have no idea yet how to turn it off permanently (or even better get the 130 Euro back that this nonsense cost).

If I find the time and a camera, IŽll add a few pictures over the weekend.
To sum things up, all expectations have been met so far, this is really a wonderful car!

10-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
Joop!
Major
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnu02
..., but us americans are always gettin screwed!
You americans get your BMW's for practically nothing, isn't that enough?

BMW - Maßstab für Fahrspaß
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Great review and congrats!!

Nice to hear a review from a former E60 owner as I am soon going from a 545i E60 to a E92 335i. I felt extremely comfortable in the smaller car and with the 335i I didn't feel like I was missing the power of the V8.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
Neon21db
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi Q8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnu02
wish they had that option here in the U.S, but us americans are always gettin screwed!
Isn't the default black trim when you select the black leather?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

You can order the High Gloss black Trim from the parts department. I checked with my dealership. Total cost was close to $700 for all the pieces.

It is not the same as Piano Black which is why we can get the parts in the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
Shäferhunde
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xiT

Garage List
2007 E91 328xiT  [0.00]
Thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading it!
      10-31-2006, 09:45 PM   #12
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Nice read... Let us know about the M.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2006, 03:07 AM   #13
citkane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch
Nice read... Let us know about the M.
After a good nights sleep and a ride to the office, the decision is to definitely stick with the 335i.
The car is currently being registered and will get the plates in a couple of hours. Also found a camera at the office, so will probably take a couple of pictures later today
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
citkane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Also found a camera at the office, so will probably take a couple of pictures later today
The camera is actually not the greatest.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #15
citkane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006
Nice to hear a review from a former E60 owner as I am soon going from a 545i E60 to a E92 335i. I felt extremely comfortable in the smaller car and with the 335i I didn't feel like I was missing the power of the V8.
Just thought I should mention this in regard to the E60 vs. E92. My E60 came with the sport suspension plus 19" rims (275 at the rear) and was still a comfortable ride all the way, nothing less than perfect.
The 335i suspension, together with the standard rims I got, is way harsher. Drove around 350 km (approx. 220 mls) yesterday, mostly on good roads and 80% of it on the Autobahn, and can definitely say that I didnŽt arrive half as relaxed as I used to with the E60. Nonetheless, it was great fun and IŽll get used to it. Again, I felt that I had to bring this up.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #16
TommyBahama
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

germany looks cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #17
8krline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i metallic black

nice car! european e92s way hotter w/o the damn orange reflectors
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
335i is more practical and better looking car - stick with it!
      11-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #19
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
The camera is actually not the greatest.
nope -
Not sure what the f(*^ USA version is not offered with front PDC!
      11-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #20
4-series
The best BMW ever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valient
nope -
Not sure what the f(*^ USA version is not offered with front PDC!

These marketing people.... i can never understand them.
      11-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #21
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Automatic even in Germany...I've had it enough!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2006, 01:12 AM   #22
Mpwr
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

nice bimmer.
Appreciate 0