E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan CAI $$$

02-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Dinan CAI $$$

So, we all know the price tag Dinan put on there CAI, $999. I think there may be a one time group buy w/ $100 off. So I called our friends at Tisher, an Dinan authorized dealer, but the CAI intake is back ordered for them. so they could not give us their price yet. When they do, I'll let everyone know the price if interested. The only other op for me right now may be going the Mr.5 route. I know he now has an option II CAI he just posted. this gives more ways to go.

Hope to follow up soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
SoFlaE92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

If $899, instead of $999, does that suddenly make that a reasonable price to pay for an intake?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
cuban335i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xdrive

You gotta pay to play! I don't want to play that badly though lol.. I'm fine with my aFe intake
'12 e92 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo - ADV.1 ADV10, Volk TE37SL, OSS, Innotech F1, Arkym, iND
'09 e92 335i Alpine White/Saddle Brown - fully modded
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaE92 View Post
If $899, instead of $999, does that suddenly make that a reasonable price to pay for an intake?
Heck No! But Dinan has gotta wake up and get real here. I haven't see anyone admit to getting one.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

$599!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Did dinan ever get there tune working LOL ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

That's ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

We are not their majority targe demographic....They are more catered to uniformed, wealthy, who get these items when they buy their BMW's new....IF they really wanted to target the users of this forum, they should offer their products WITHOUT their warranty at a much lower price.

my .02 cents.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

With a thread title like that, you can expect the usual assortment of dimwits crapping on Dinan pricing to the applause of their like-minded mentally challenged inbred kin.

I don't get it. Mr. 5 tries to reverse engineer a Dinan intake using a dryer house and cutting into the stock intake, all to rave reviews. The gains are drooled over and everyone wants one.

Yet Dinan, who engineered the design and produced its product with custom made quality carbon fibre parts and custom designed carbon fibre lid designed to accomodate a secondary intake, is shat upon. This is all the more perplexing when the only other CF intake retails for twice as much with no researched performance gains.

If you can't afford $1,000 for a quality, warranty-backed, part that will occupy a large part of your engine bay, how did you ever scrape together whatever meager deposit you plopped down on your lease?
      02-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
With a thread title like that, you can expect the usual assortment of dimwits crapping on Dinan pricing to the applause of their like-minded mentally challenged inbred kin.

I don't get it. Mr. 5 tries to reverse engineer a Dinan intake using a dryer house and cutting into the stock intake, all to rave reviews. The gains are drooled over and everyone wants one.

Yet Dinan, who engineered the design and produced its product with custom made quality carbon fibre parts and custom designed carbon fibre lid designed to accomodate a secondary intake, is shat upon. This is all the more perplexing when the only other CF intake retails for twice as much with no researched performance gains.

If you can't afford $1,000 for a quality, warranty-backed, part that will occupy a large part of your engine bay, how did you ever scrape together whatever meager deposit you plopped down on your lease?
what deposit? leases shouldnt put any money down ever

the issue is charging 1000 for a part that looks nice and does little else in comparison to equivalent performing items for 1/3-1/4 the price.

i understand its built well, and its beautiful cf etc. if you are looking to dress up your engine bay, this is the part for that. but as a strictly performance based purchase, its overpriced

but im sure dinan knows this, and has priced it for a certain target market...and those of us who complain about 1k for an intake are not the ones they intend to sell to
      02-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Mods are valued for many at a power to $ ratio. Why would you spend 1K on an intake when you could get a HPF FMIC and dont say the warranty because dinan's warranty is useless. They will argue with bmw over who caused the failure and it will be up to you to get one of them to pay which is why bmw came out with their own performance stuff. Get a dci, jb3, vk dp's (Vince is selling for $199), and a coolingmist standard trunk mount or for the die hard pay too much for everything types go with an intake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post

Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Mods are valued for many at a power to $ ratio.
Not all mods I love forged wheels and my M-tech body kit and it adds ZERO power...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Mods are valued for many at a power to $ ratio. Why would you spend 1K on an intake when you could get a HPF FMIC and dont say the warranty because dinan's warranty is useless.
Oh, okay. Since you say so. Nevermind those of use who've taken our cars in for service and had no problems at all with claims.

Seriously, why did you clowns who can't think beyond "dollar to hp" buy a $50K BMW in the first place?
      02-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thats a pretty ignorant statement. Mods are valued for many at a power to $ ratio. Why would you spend 1K on an intake when you could get a HPF FMIC and dont say the warranty because dinan's warranty is useless. They will argue with bmw over who caused the failure and it will be up to you to get one of them to pay which is why bmw came out with their own performance stuff. Get a dci, jb3, vk dp's (Vince is selling for $199), and a coolingmist standard trunk mount or for the die hard pay too much for everything types go with an intake
Been there, done that with a FMIC - a necessary and intelligent mod. I agree that the mod with the best power to $ ratio is adding more boost. But some only want to go so far with that using existing turbos. So you start looking elsewhere for improvements. An effective mod is going after the restrictive cats. But that's illegal in addition to being warranty-voiding (and a major PIA) to conceal from the dealer assuming you don't mind playing a catch-me-if-you-can game with people you do business with).

So yes, the aforementioned FMIC is a good mod. So is a bigger oil cooler to try to address inevitable cooling issues). For me the intake is the last frontier to look for a decent gain. At the end of the process I'll be exactly where I want to be with this car's capabilities.

True there are cheaper means to the same end (the GIAC flash for example impresses me) but having gone down this route, I can report having zero issues with Dinan, my dealer, or the parts or the flash.
      02-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
onefastman
Major General
Rep

To each their own and I am happy to hear that you have not had any issues with your dinan goodies. I have a friend who had a stage 2 flash and the dealer made him go argue with dinan every time there was a major issue.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Well I think you're just trying to gain acceptance from your peers.

Your friend should just take his car to a BMW dealership that sells Dinan parts. Then it's the dealer's problem to sort out who's responsible.
      02-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
Spark and Garisson would probably pay $900 for some Dinan Diverter Valves. Let's face it, you're paying for the name and warranty. Just because I drop $50k on a car, doesn't justify paying a premium on anything. This is an aging discussion, as this forum has seen before.
      02-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
If your going to spend that much, get a IC. You will get way better gains then a intake will ever get you. I would also wait for HPF version of a intake as they have just started to mod a 335i.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #19
Brad335d
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Garage List
I love how people on here are justifying the price Dinan charges for any of their products. Sorry but as far as the amount of "engineering" put into developing a CAI for our cars nowhere justifies a near $1000 price tag. Then there is their tune which is twice as much as other tunes but offer one quarter the performance. Dinan builds good engines but I'm sure there are other independent BMW engine builders who can do the same for less or better for the same price.

Dinan is the Hennessey and Lingenfelter of the BMW brand. Yeah they're products are good for the most part but you're paying a premium for the name. There are those and you can find them in the posts above who are impressed by names, I'm not nor ever will be, I'm impressed by performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
onefastman
Major General
Rep

+1 on the hpf intake
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #21
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZTL View Post
I love how people on here are justifying the price Dinan charges for any of their products. Sorry but as far as the amount of "engineering" put into developing a CAI for our cars nowhere justifies a near $1000 price tag. Then there is their tune which is twice as much as other tunes but offer one quarter the performance. Dinan builds good engines but I'm sure there are other independent BMW engine builders who can do the same for less or better for the same price.

Dinan is the Hennessey and Lingenfelter of the BMW brand. Yeah they're products are good for the most part but you're paying a premium for the name. There are those and you can find them in the posts above who are impressed by names, I'm not nor ever will be, I'm impressed by performance.
Well for me performance is a broader proposition than relying on a garage hobbiest's invention to ratchet up boost to the max. I own my car. For most of these Dinan bashers, ownership is a three year game of flogging as much hp from their engines before returning their rental. At that point they can strip off all their mods and sell them on the Internet. For these "owners" it's a warranty fraud three year joyride and then it becomes someone else's
problem.
      02-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #22
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
Many others are owners like yourself, I being one of them, and that's an extremely harsh generalization to make when you say "relying on a garage hobbiest." You're putting Dinan on a pedestal because it's your personal preference and this does not make other products inferior... hardly. There is a lot more than just "ratcheting up the boost," claiming something like that just makes me facepalm.