E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > When does Auto Stop/Start kick in

02-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
greer4411
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i M Sport

When does Auto Stop/Start kick in

Hi guys,

Just wondering when i first got my car last year the auto stop start function always kicked in.

since the cold weather, it hasnt been doing it. i did read somewhere that it only worked once temps where 3+ degrees. but today its been 4.5, and it still doesnt auto stop/start. how can you check wether its faulty or not. did a check on the obc, all ok no faults etc..

many thanks

jamie
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
afc69
Rep
Drives: E90 318iSE

It is temp related. I bought my one in Jan last yr, and the stop start worked fine. Then next day, frosty day, and it didn't kick in. Checked the manual, said it only worked when engine was at full operating temp, and outside temp was over 3 degrees. There was another stipulation, which I've forgotten (and lost my manual too) but it must be why yours isn't kicking in.

Sorry, that didn't really help, did it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
lons
Lons
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport edition - carbon

Mine does strange things as well (must read the manual sometime) and it's definately temperature related.

i have noticed a couple of times waiting in a jam for longer than usual that the car has started againg without my intervention whilst still in n and handbrake on.

I've got auto lights and I think it's probably a safety feature save undue drain on the battery.
      02-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
It won't kick in until the engine temperature has reached operating level and the temperature is over 3 degrees C.

It will also not kick in if the battery levels aren't high enough which has happened to me because of short journeys and infrequent use during the cold snap. When it became warm enough, there was not enough juice in my battery.

It will also not kick in regardless of the above, if heavy electrical use exists - e.g. on the MAX cold button in hot days, or full heating with seat heaters, rear screen demister etc. on cooler days.

I'll take a guess and say your battery isn't strong enough. If you do a fifty mile journey with temps. over 3 degrees, it should work again.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

I'm sure I read somewhere there is a seperate small battery for general stop start functions but also uses the main battery too which is also charged via the brake regeneration. Could be wrong (usually am!)

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0