02-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

First visit to Service Dept....

Well it had to happen!

After the recent winter meet and speaking to some of the guys regarding DCT and its associated software and upgrades, I booked the 'vert in last week for a visit today. The reason for such a visit is for the software to be updated as I've noticed a few lurches at low speed, say round 20mph in D2 mode. On approach to a roundabout, losing speed, the gearbox seems to get in a hissy fit and can't workout what gear it should be in. After what feels like minutes, it makes a selection which usually ends up with the car racing forward, which in some cases can be dangerous. Also after a run in M mode and after pulling off from a stop there is the occasional severe jerkiness. I'm not pumping the right foot on the pedal at all, but from the street, you'd think there is kangaroo juice in the fuel tank!

Anyway I' shall report back on what happens when I go to collect her this afternoon.

Flapps

Last edited by Flapps; 02-01-2010 at 06:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Cool... ask what they update number is.... I forgot to ask my dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapps View Post
Well it had to happen!

After the recent winter meet and speaking to some of the guys regarding DCT and its associated software and upgrades, I booked the 'vert in last week for a visit today. The reason for such a visit is for the software to be updated as I've noticed a few lurches at low speed, say round 20mph in D2 mode. On approach to a roundabout, losing speed, the gearbox seems to get in a hissy fit and can't workout what gear it should be in. After what feels like minutes, it makes a selection which usually ends up with the car racing forward, which in some cases can be dangerous. Also after a run in M mode and after pulling off from a stop there is the occasional severe jerkiness. I'm not pumping the right foot on the pedal at all, but from the street, you'd think there is kangaroo juice in the fuel tank!

Anyway I' shall report back on what happens when I go to collect her this afternoon.

Flapps
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
s99ane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Hopefully that can doa software update in a day. My dealer kept mine overnight.

They said its like downloading torrents.... cant predict just how long it takes.
      02-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, mine was in overnight downloading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s99ane View Post
Hopefully that can doa software update in a day. My dealer kept mine overnight.

They said its like downloading torrents.... cant predict just how long it takes.
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Yes, mine was in overnight downloading.
Handed it over at 10am this morning, was told it'll all be done by mid afternoon today, but didn't say anything about the torrents!!!!!........kept that little gem to themselves!............

I'll get the update number, mind you it might be easier getting the UK nuclear launch codes instead!

Flapps i
      02-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Get me those aswell... need to blow some fuckers up!

Quote:
Handed it over at 10am this morning, was told it'll all be done by mid afternoon today, but didn't say anything about the torrents!!!!!........kept that little gem to themselves!............

I'll get the update number, mind you it might be easier getting the UK nuclear launch codes instead!

Flapps i
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Mollox
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

Whichever way I think about this, the length of time to "download" is crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just called them and they are downloading the software right now. Apparently it'll be ready by 5.30

Flapps
      02-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Good Job I didnt hold my breath. Hats off to you guys though as I've just had a phone call from the service dept saying that its now an overnight job!.........Spoke to the tech direct and the minimum download time is four hours but no guarantee that it'll take first time The problems I've highlighted to them i.e gearbox and engine, is an historical one which they are aware of hence the updates now going on.

My only gripe so far is that it went in at 10am today and they hadn't started working on it till 3pm. So in essence its being sitting in their car-park for 5 hours going bugger all. Its not really a problem for me as I'm off for the week and can rely on other cars to get around and its not costing me anything as its all under warranty. However if none of those things were in place I would be annoyed.

So at the moment i'm underwhelmed but not surprised.

Watch this space!

Taz.....I have asked for the update number which he will get for me, so all is not lost.

Flapps
      02-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I was wondering why yours would only take so long... im guessing they use the time to deal with other cars instead of having your car sitting there taking up space while it downloads.

Quote:
Good Job I didnt hold my breath. Hats off to you guys though as I've just had a phone call from the service dept saying that its now an overnight job!.........Spoke to the tech direct and the minimum download time is four hours but no guarantee that it'll take first time The problems I've highlighted to them i.e gearbox and engine, is an historical one which they are aware of hence the updates now going on.

My only gripe so far is that it went in at 10am today and they hadn't started working on it till 3pm. So in essence its being sitting in their car-park for 5 hours going bugger all. Its not really a problem for me as I'm off for the week and can rely on other cars to get around and its not costing me anything as its all under warranty. However if none of those things were in place I would be annoyed.

So at the moment i'm underwhelmed but not surprised.

Watch this space!

Taz.....I have asked for the update number which he will get for me, so all is not lost.

Flapps
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
s99ane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Firstly apologies for cr@p spelling before ( not that easy on iPhone )

I guessed as much re download. Had same issues with a stealer tho they did say it might take overnight.
It seems a common thing for BMW to book u in for a slot but leave the car sitting around. Guess they look at reccomended time sheets and prioritise accordingly.

Hey chin up hope all goes ok and they don't fry your ecu.
Did you have a custom map also. Will be interesting to see if this gets put back to standard
      02-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just got her back, and looking at the tech sheet they have, as stated above, updated the software as they say there is a "delay" in the engine gearbox shifting characteristics. The new software which is numbered E89X-09-12-512 will help reduce the delay period, but doesnt say by how much. Then again i wasnt timing it in the first place, just noticed the lurching.

Didn't have a custom map, just wanted to see how this update goes for now.

I'll find out how she runs as off to Paris for a long weekend so will report back.

Flapps
      02-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

"Did you have a custom map also. Will be interesting to see if this gets put back to standard"

I would of guessed it's gone now?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine had a custom map from Evolve which is gone... but they will remap it again with no charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
"Did you have a custom map also. Will be interesting to see if this gets put back to standard"

I would of guessed it's gone now?
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Mine had a custom map from Evolve which is gone... but they will remap it again with no charge.
Excellent
Appreciate 0