E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Adding an Additional Amp and Sub to Alpine Upgrade?

01-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
djnas123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d

Adding an Additional Amp and Sub to Alpine Upgrade?

Hi All,

I've got an old sub and amp kicking around and was wondering if anyone else has added one to a car already upgraded with the Alpine kit who can offer some advice?

Basically, I plan to run the amp using the high level input from the speakers, but as my amp is in the boot can I just tap from the input into, or the the output from the Alpine amp? If it is possible, whats best, the input or output and if output, shall I tap into the Sub outs?

Also some guy in Halfords filled me with doubt saying I can blow my head unit if I merely tap into speaker wires rather than disconnecting speakers to fed into the high level input. I've tapped into the wires before on an old Megane and it was all fine, but don't want to damage anything in the BMW, thoughts?

Sorry for all the questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 LCI

The guy at Halfords is talking bollox. As long as you use a High to Low level converter you'll be fine. If you take the head unit out you can tap onto the fatest blue wires (they are the subs under the seats) so already filtered for low pass. Then you can run the wires to the rear and plumb into your High to Low level converter and into your amp.

I'm in the process of using the well below the floor in the boot of my E90 to mount a sub and amp. I have a Cerwin I used to have in my E46 and miss the good bass in the E90.

I'll post pics when its done, just doing the fiberglass at the mo
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
djnas123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d

Thanks for that marcm,

The thing is I have the retrofit Alpine amp and speaker kit already in the boot so wondered if I could tap the speakers from there rather than running more cables from the front of the car?
Appreciate 0