E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Questions about remapping....

01-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

Question Questions about remapping....

Firstly, I’ve never had a remap so I’m a total noob on this…
I’ve had a search but haven’t really found the answers to few questions I have on re-maps. If someone could either provide me with a link or some straight answers, I’d appreciate it. Bear in mind, I’m talking about an NA engine.

Does the remap affect the ‘aggressiveness’ of the throttle , in the same way as a ‘sport’ button or, dare I mention, a Sprint Booster?

Does the remap affect the fuelling on a constant throttle and if so how?
I suppose what I’m really asking is if there’s a good chance that a remap will cure this mild hesitation and occasional ‘missing’ on a light, constant throttle at <2000rpm.

If I have a remap, it doesn’t cure my problem and I then have it removed, can a BMW dealer tell? That is, will any future warranty work potentially be refused even if the remap is no longer installed?

After three returns, I’m concerned that a hundred visits to the dealer won’t fix it completely. As it seems to run fine for a couple of days after getting it back I’m thinking it’s a software issue, as if the adaptions are reset at the garage and then as the ECU starts to ‘learn’ again, it messes thing up. Is this possible or complete fantasy on my part?

If a remap will cure it, I’d be more than happy to pay. I’d rather not get into a big fight about rejecting it (BMW AUC collected 16/11/09) and I can’t afford to just change it. I really like the car, but this mild hesitation and missing is irritating. I’ve only put V Power in it since I’ve had it.

I’d value your input!

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Firstly, I’ve never had a remap so I’m a total noob on this…
I’ve had a search but haven’t really found the answers to few questions I have on re-maps. If someone could either provide me with a link or some straight answers, I’d appreciate it. Bear in mind, I’m talking about an NA engine.

Does the remap affect the ‘aggressiveness’ of the throttle , in the same way as a ‘sport’ button or, dare I mention, a Sprint Booster?

On an NA 320 I'd dare say you will get a bit more low down grunt. Thats the point of most NA remaps. So between 1500-3000 it will definitely feel more responsive. This is not just a throttle setting change, its due to more fuelling to the engine at this stage. Of course the extra "go" will be throughout the rev range, but most prominent low down imho.

Does the remap affect the fuelling on a constant throttle and if so how?
I suppose what I’m really asking is if there’s a good chance that a remap will cure this mild hesitation and occasional ‘missing’ on a light, constant throttle at <2000rpm.

If theres missing, sounds like a problem a remap won't cure really. However, if driven sensibly theres alot of evidence that a remap will increase fuel economy. It will also lower out any flat spots, so if this mild hesitation as you put it, is purely due to the current fuel numbers - then yes a remap will help. Overall response here though, is more information needed I think before fair impartial advice can be given.

If I have a remap, it doesn’t cure my problem and I then have it removed, can a BMW dealer tell? That is, will any future warranty work potentially be refused even if the remap is no longer installed?

Feasibly, I guess they can tell that the ECU was written to - and that theres no service entry in their computers for around the same time - IE it was written to for non-warranty work or etc. But why would they ever check this? I can't see you ever having a problem here. Definitely 1 in a thousand chance.

After three returns, I’m concerned that a hundred visits to the dealer won’t fix it completely. As it seems to run fine for a couple of days after getting it back I’m thinking it’s a software issue, as if the adaptions are reset at the garage and then as the ECU starts to ‘learn’ again, it messes thing up. Is this possible or complete fantasy on my part?

Its possible. Could also be placebo affect. You "want" the car to be better, but over a few days of driving, the back of your mind starts to win over, and tell you that it actually isn't. Certainly the ECU will re-adapt to your driving style, the fuel its got to work with etc etc after a hard reset.

If a remap will cure it, I’d be more than happy to pay. I’d rather not get into a big fight about rejecting it (BMW AUC collected 16/11/09) and I can’t afford to just change it. I really like the car, but this mild hesitation and missing is irritating. I’ve only put V Power in it since I’ve had it.

Sounds stupid but why not try normal fuel? V-power isn't always a guaruntee of better power. Especially on the slightly looser engines like the 2.0 4 pot ( a guess ). Give it a try

Sorry that the answers are a little bit like "Well, you wanted an answer, heres a QUESTION"... But let me know how you get on mate. Sure some others will be along with their own thoughts too...
      01-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply Mega!

More food for thought....
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I disconnected the MAF this morning and on my usual commute to work, the car ran better.
Not quite 100% on the hesitation maybe, but definately no 'missing' for sure.

Does this indicate that the MAF really is duff, or does the ECU run a different to normal map when the MAF signals aren't present? (Still wondering about software.... :roll: )

I don't know how I can get the dealer to change the MAF if it's not throwing any codes and they've already tested it (alledgedly).

A BMW replacement is £230.19.... ouch!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Googlyamnesiac
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520D

Is the MAF easy to disconnect? any tutorials? Don't know what im looking for! Does it cause any damage to try this?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 LCI

How old is the car ? you could always try cleaning the wire element.
The MAF uses the element to measure airflow by applying current to it to heat it up...
More airflow means more cooling so resistance changes, so the flow can be measured.

If its gunked up then there's not as much cooling.

It worked on a VW I had with the same problem, put your foot down hessitation.. hessitation and then bang accelerate. VW couldnt find a fault but it was well documented on the forums.

You need some tetrachloroethylene (I think its spelt like that) and cotton buds on sticks)

Worth a try. Takes a couple of hours to take it out and clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Also have a look here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=335561
and here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=355314
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks again for the replies.
Don't tel BMW, but I have already cleaned the MAF with some Isopropyl Alcohol I used to clean a Mk IV Golf GTI's MAF I owned in the dim and distant and suspected of going flakey. Seemed to work on the Golf, but not on the Beemer... perhaps it is fecked...

It's relatively simple to get to on the 320i, but I beleive it's a lot harder on the 320d.... there's some info on BMWland.co.uk. Good luck!

Still don't know how to get BMW to change it though....
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

take it out wire it up to a mains plug with 5A fuse... plug it in. Watch the fecker blow.. put it back in the car, limp to BMW and get them to change it
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Bollocks to it - it's going back to BMW and they can keep it till it's fixed properly.
Why should I spend hundreds sorting this issue?

I may be up for a fight after all.
Appreciate 0