2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum AutoWeekUSA does a Flash Drive of the upcoming 535i

01-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
AutoWeekUSA does a Flash Drive of the upcoming 535i

Name:  f10img.jpg
Views: 2082
Size:  150.8 KB

AutoWeekUSA has done a really nice synopsis of the upcoming F10 535i. Here are some select quotes from the full article which you can read by following the link down below.

Quote:
On the highway, the 535i's engine is barley audible at a steady cruise. That's because BMW geared the eight-speed automatic so high, you rarely need more than 2,000 rpm; the top gear runs a 0.667:1 ratio.

Quote:
The new electro-mechanical steering system with rear-wheel steer makes the 535i even more maneuverable around town than before. With optional adjustable suspension in comfort mode, the low-speed ride is sufficiently supple to soak up broken surfaces with authority. This car is terrifically composed with great stability, a nice tied-down feel and hugely impressive refinement at higher speeds.

In fact, the one fundamental change in character that immediately captured my attention is its apparent calmness. I worried that the sportiness that has been a hallmark of the 5-series may have been compromised.

Those worries were put to rest when I found a challenging coastal road. The combination of steered front wheels and counter-steering rear wheels greatly reduces the work rate for the driver. Even on winding roads, you rarely need to call up more than a quarter-turn of the steering wheel.
Quote:
Do I want it?

It'd certainly be in the running if my bank manager ever gave the go-ahead--not that he's likely to anytime soon!

When you line it up against the Mercedes-Benz E-class, Audi A6, Jaguar XF and Cadillac CTS, the new 5-series looks to have the edge in some, if not all, areas.
Source: AutoWeekUSA

** Also see the F10 5-series review compilation thread for more reviews.
      01-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Sounds great...but damn...the release of the F10 makes me feel old after I realize how many 5 series generations I have lived through.

I still have my E34 and when I look at it I still think it looks modern....(I look at the E39 and think "there's too much new-fangled technology in it"..haha)
Mods: (All OEM) | BMW Performance CF Splitters | BMW Blackline Taillights | BMW Rear Deck Spoiler | BMW Performance Auto Shift Knob and Alcantara Boot | BMW Black Dakota Leather Split Folding Armrest | BMW Euro Fog Light Switch | BMW Style 193M Wheels | BMW Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills | BMW Front Clear Bra | BMW Performance Steering Wheel (non-elec)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
Sounds great...but damn...the release of the F10 makes me feel old after I realize how many 5 series generations I have lived through.

I still have my E34 and when I look at it I still think it looks modern....(I look at the E39 and think "there's too much new-fangled technology in it"..haha)
I know what u mean. I've lived thru all of them starting with the E12.
      01-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
thesixsins
Graphic Designer For Hire...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola ZHP 6mt Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post

Thats because what bangle did is a gimmick (flame surfacing), and gimmicks are great when they first come out; but almost never stand the test of time.
      01-25-2010, 04:34 AM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

F10 535i... a realy lovely car
Appreciate 0