E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > ABS,DSC,TPM and Start Assist failure after kerb impact

01-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
N00dle
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
ABS,DSC,TPM and Start Assist failure after kerb impact

Hi all;

Hope you could give me some advice.

A few days ago foolishly tried to get to work as a result car lost control (very slow speed, the car just lost traction at a rundabout) I think the front left alloy took an impact to the kerb sqaure on.

limping back home the Flat Tyre warning gauge came on, parked the car amd left it till next day.

Next day I tried to start the car the iDrive popped up with ABS,TPM,DSC and Hill Start Failure, plus the dashboard light has the ABS and DSC off amber lights on permenantly. I checked the tyre and alloy there does not SEEM to be any huge damage and the Tyre hasnt lost much pressure..as if there was no puncture.

Managed to drive the car out of the ice. Testing this on a straight road the car is badly veer towards the left (the side that was damaged. and my steering wheel needs to be kept turned right to centre the car.

My BMW Dealer cant look at it till at least next week.

What do you think guys? Have Fooked up my car good and proper?

PS Hope you are all safe in your cars in this bloody weather

Wil
      01-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

You haven't fooked it up completely, just you've knocked the front left wheel completely out of alignment. You might even have bent the toe rod. Either way that car needs to go in for realignment and the steering angle sensor reset (which is what has caused the DSC/ABS lights etc to come on). The alignment won't be cheap, especially if you need replacement suspension components!

I would suggest you try not to drive your car until it's fixed, given you don't know if any components have been damaged underneath
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
N00dle
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks E92Fan; good advice.

I'm covered for full breakdown with BMW. I'll see if they could tow the car to my nearest dealer.

I'll keep you posted.

Wil
      01-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Report the incident to your insurers, this will probably be an expensive repair which will be covered by your motor insurance policy.

Let them take the strain.
      01-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00dle View Post
Thanks E92Fan; good advice.

I'm covered for full breakdown with BMW. I'll see if they could tow the car to my nearest dealer.

I'll keep you posted.

Wil
That's the best idea so far. That will also circumvent the delay in getting your car looked at. And Dave's suggestion of contacting your insurer is a good idea also, just so that they are aware that a possible claim might be coming their way. If you don't end up claiming, make sure you call them again to close the file on your policy, otherwise it'll show up as being open come policy renewal time and you'll have a marker against the no-claims bonus.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Oh mate, gutted for you. Can't offer any more advise, but if you need anything or need to get anywhere, let me know.

Got a spare set of wheels you can borrow if required for any reason.

How's Mrs Noodle?
      01-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
N00dle
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Cheers guys, just called BMW they will pick the car up Monday and depending how much it is I could either pay or go through insurance. Always glad of the community spirit here on this Forum, hopefully one day I could give some back.

Cheers Ed! Mrs Noodle doing well...she's due Monday!!! So just a wee scary getting to Chertesy Hospital, I could always get a wheel burrow and a set of Tennis Rackets to get her there LOL

I will have to downgrade to her Mazda2 for now <sob> but must admit they are nice little motors to drive.

Wil
      01-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
and all the reapirs will now be carried out by the BMW network and not the insurers choice of backstreet warehouse operation. Best outcome possible.
      01-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
N00dle
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hi all;

Just had a report back from the BMW Dealer and they are replacing the steering rack, tyre, alloy wheel; cost would have been £2500 + Labor + VAT but will be done through insurance and all I need to pay is the excess and I have no claims protection. Bit of a result and the Left side alloy was kerbed before anyway and I would have coughed £75 to get it fixed! (I wonder if they would let me keep the old one as a spare??)

Again reading through the Forums and I know the horse has bolted after the stable door is closed...if I had Winter Tyres this might not have happened, so definitely looking for a spare set as a piority!

Thanks to all for your advice!

Wil
      01-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Fackin hell !!!! better stay away from kerbs then....steering rack as well! thank the lord you are not paying out. Glad to here its sorted
Appreciate 0