E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > popping noise from exhaust , Blocked cat converter?

01-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
SLK786
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320I M SPORT SILVER

popping noise from exhaust , Blocked cat converter?

hi guys i tried searching forum but i couldnt find what i was looking for!

so basicly i am experiencing horrible popping noise from my exhaust pipe evrytime i rev above 3000 rpms i took it to bmw too have a look at it as i was having that stupid metalic ticking noise too , they didnt fix the metallic ticking noise as they couldnt hear it wen i can hear it evryday it sounds like a chunky disel! , also they told me to give it a good run on the motorway and it should clear as the cat convertor was 'clogged' , i took it to london and back as i went to a party i drove it as fast as i could but the problem is there , do you guys think its my cat converter thats making the noise and does bmw have to replace it?u (my car is still under warrenty till dec 2010)

any help would be appriciated
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

I've just had my cat replaced under warranty. They said it was blocked with carbon but even after they cleaned it out decided to replace it. Mine's a 2008 with 22k on the clock.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
SLK786
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320I M SPORT SILVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLSEN View Post
I've just had my cat replaced under warranty. They said it was blocked with carbon but even after they cleaned it out decided to replace it. Mine's a 2008 with 22k on the clock.
yeah im going to ask them to do the same then , he said it was because i was doing short journeys alot? surley a car is a car and if i drove long distances or short distances it shouldnt be a problem its a bmw for godsake?
Appreciate 0