E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 4CAR review of 335D

10-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
4CAR review of 335D

4CAr have posted a review of the 335D coupe here

But of course its so easy to copy & paste

Here's a tiny example of what's so brilliant about the 335d A SE Coupe.

You go for a drive in it, which you enjoy a very great deal, and then, after you've been dragged away from it, you get around to looking at the technical specification and the list of standard equipment. It's only then that you realise just how much technology BMW has fitted to the car.

It's jam-packed with the stuff. Heaving with it. But the point is, you wouldn't guess that from driving it. It all feels so natural and intuitive and responsive, as if - surely - there can't be loads of clever electronics between you and the heart of the car. But there are. And it all works very, very well.

When 4Car drove the new 3-Series Coupe earlier this year, we said, in essence: 'Wow. And it'll probably be even better with that fancy new 335 diesel engine.'
We were right. It's a terrific engine, but more pertinently it's supremely well-suited to the car as a whole. It's gutsy yet smooth, instantly responsive, economical and very quick. It also seems to sit in precisely the right position under the bonnet to contribute to a perfectly well-balanced car. A car that enjoys an entirely harmonious relationship with the tarmac. A car with wonderful steering - heavy, but in a reassuring way; and that heaviness doesn't compromise the car's overall agility. This is from the standard rack-and-pinion set-up, not the optional clever-dick Active Steering system.
The damping is firmer than the saloon's or the estate's, which suits the two-door model's greater driver orientation. The brake discs are bigger, too

he launch engines were the 218bhp 2.5 and 306bhp 3.0-litre straight sixes, badged 325i and 335i. But now the range has grown, to include the 330 and 320 diesels, 330 and 320 petrols - and this utter marvel. The £35,475 335d is BMW's first twin-turbo straight six. It has a small turbo that spins up quickly at low engine speeds and a larger one that works at higher revs. Between them, they produce an uninterrupted torrent of torque, with no lag and no troughs.

It produces serious grunt from well under 2,000rpm - in fact, the peak torque of 428lb-ft comes at just 1,750rpm - and peaks at 286bhp. It does the 0-62mph charge in 6.1sec, is limited to 155mph, drinks diesel at a rate of 37.7mpg and emits 200g/km of carbon dioxide and BMW claims its running costs are class-leadingly low.

t comes as standard with a six-speed automatic transmission, which has upgraded hydraulics and electronics for quicker reaction times and quicker gearshift times. You can shift manually using the knobbly blobs on the steering wheel (they're not 'paddles' by anyone's definition) or you can let it make the changes itself, in D or the even swifter DS mode.

BMW 335d Coupe
The best new-generation 3-Series coupe so far
In a single generation, the old BMW buyer's mantra of 'petrol and manual, petrol and manual, petrol and manual' has been turned on its head. This is the best new-generation 3-Series Coupe so far - and it's a diesel with an auto box. The petrols are very good, better in many ways than any earlier ones. But the diesels have leapfrogged them and the 335d has leapfrogged all the other diesels.

And although there's nothing at all wrong with BMW's current six-speed manual gearbox, this auto is excellent. It's unbelievably smooth and quick - to the extent that you sometimes don't believe it can possibly have made that change already. It could also make you a bit lazy, as the accompanying electronics will cover up for all manner of misjudgment on your part.

And all that tech we mentioned? The Coupe comes with DSC+, which involves traction control, stability control, ABS, brake drying, Cornering Brake Control, brake fade compensation, Dynamic Brake Control, brake pre-tensioning, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, hill-start assistant, Engine Drag Torque Control, and soft stop. And more besides. But to repeat: none of this messes with the essential simplicity of the drive, or with the relationship between car and driver.

The last 3-Series Coupe was often dismissed as being too close to the saloon in the way it looked and the way it drove. This one is better to drive than the rest of the highly impressive 3-Series range and, although at a glance it clearly is a close relative of the saloon, the more you look the more different it is. Only three exterior components are shared with other members of the 3-Series family: the indicator side repeaters, the door handles and the badge.

Inside, you sit low, which means your seat is set back, but there's still decent leg room for an adult behind you. The rear bench, which splits 60:40 to expand the already deceptively big boot, is divided into two proper seats, with a moulded plastic divider. Those in the back sit low too, which gives them decent head room. It's useful to be able to carry passengers in comfort.

But ultimately this is a car that's all about the driver. A very happy driver.

Yep agree with most of that...nice colour as well !

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Interesting that they said it was better to drive than the E90. Shame they didn't expand a little more on that.
      10-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
335d coupe
Mike
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4M Roadster

EXACTLY why I have one on order!! Was gonna be space grey, jade grey dakota & Alu........ but I can still change the spec b4 the car starts being built at the beginning of November........ and I'm currently leaning towards Sparkling Graphite, black dakota & Alu..... (+ 18s, adaptive xenons, HiFi, Bluetooth, Active cruise, Comfort access, High beam assist, anthracite headliner, sunroof, storage compartment pack - do you guys think I'm over-speccing the car??).

Mike

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
You can never overspec IMO - if you can afford it - get it!
      10-20-2006, 03:32 AM   #5
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

It is a good read. I am tempted and I know if I test drive one then I would want to order it!
I am really surprised none of the main stream car magazines have tested one (335d) yet.
I notice Autocar next week is running another (the ultimate!) test on a 335i coupe - that will be the third review of some sort they have run...but no mention of the 335d!
Enjoy the car it is no doubt a cracker. The one thing that hacks me off on my 330d (auto) the gear changes can be slow even in step mode, and in auto mode the speed of the change can vary quite a lot as does they way it will sometimes hold a gear for longer than you want/need.
      10-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP
The one thing that hacks me off on my 330d (auto) the gear changes can be slow even in step mode, and in auto mode the speed of the change can vary quite a lot as does they way it will sometimes hold a gear for longer than you want/need.

The box in the E92 is suppose to be more responsive and twice as quick, so far I haven't noticed any reluctance to change up in D mode. In sports mode it does seem to use the throttle position as an indicator of the change up point.

Tonight I used steering wheel buttons/paddle thingies to select 3rd and then on a short straight just ripped past a Golf 2.0TDI that was not exactly hanging around.

Even I was surprised !

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Chris33
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

I have refused all offers of a test drive. I just no I will want one as soon as I drive it.

I did it when I purchased my M3 a few years back. I didn't even get 500 yards up the road and I agreed to buy it.

That review just makes me want one even more
Le Mans blue/ black leather with Aluminum trim/ privacy glass/ xenon's/ black line rear lights/ OEM 18inch M Sport wheel upgrade/ PDC/ blue tooth/ Hi-Fi speaker system/ heated front seats/ storage pack/ auto lights+wipers/ green sun strip/ OEM boot spoiler/
external mirror package.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
l love it
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Only had my E92 335d for a few days,but i can 100% assure anybody that they won't be disapointed this is the BEST car i have ever owned by far.Including an E46 M3, E60 Sport,330i etc tried to be very subjective but it's got the lot.Been caning around all day and still getting 30mpg.
One happy & contented boy, even cancelled order for new M3 cos' i am convinced this is the car for me! and having 5 cars in 2 yrs i is finally happy
Appreciate 0