E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Insurance/repair question...

01-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
J4MES
my name is James
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '09 E91 LCI 330d M-Sport

Question Insurance/repair question...

My E91 is in for repairs following an accident. It will involve replacing the front bumper/bonnet/grille/radiator etc. and has been estimated at £6.5k. My question is who signs off the work? I'd expect the insurance company (AVIVA) to conduct a post-repair inspection as they're paying, but if not, is it me who agrees that the work is up to standard with the repair company (Solus Park Royal as it happens)?

I should hear this week how long it's going to take - because of the recent weather I suspect it could be a while... Thankfully no one was hurt.

Thanks in advance
      01-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
You not got a good enough eye to check yourself?

Any pics of the damage? Hope it gets sorted soon.
      01-02-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Generally it's the customer who signs off the repair by agreeing that it's to an acceptable standard. In practice I know very few people who have the experience and knowledge to be able to say whether the repair done has been to a high standard. The external visual aspect is easy to see, but it's under the skin that corners are generally cut - for instance clips not all being there, cables and hoses not routed correctly etc etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
v24mis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport coupe

a mate had a similar damage to his but was estimated at 3.5k and he is the one to sign off!

the insurance wanted to take it to a normal garage but he insisted that the work is done by BMW bodyshop so it is getting repaired at Hexagon BMW in London.

How long has yours been estimated to take?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
J4MES
my name is James
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks...

They've not said how long - the accident was on 18 December, as yet it's just had a visual inspection/estimate. Work should start this week. I may ask AVIVA if it can go to BMW instead as SPR don't seem to have done much as (notwithstanding bank holidays etc.) sine then.

As mentioned, there's no way I'm prepared to sign any work off, as I'm hardly qualified. I'd be suprised if that's what happens - has anyone been in this situation before? Should I take it to BMW following the repairs if AVIVA won't permit them to carry out the repairs?
      01-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4MES View Post
Thanks...

They've not said how long - the accident was on 18 December, as yet it's just had a visual inspection/estimate. Work should start this week. I may ask AVIVA if it can go to BMW instead as SPR don't seem to have done much as (notwithstanding bank holidays etc.) sine then.

As mentioned, there's no way I'm prepared to sign any work off, as I'm hardly qualified. I'd be suprised if that's what happens - has anyone been in this situation before? Should I take it to BMW following the repairs if AVIVA won't permit them to carry out the repairs?
Yes mate you sign it off. Any issues you will have to take up with the insurer.
      01-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
kingjon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

Someone hit the front of my car over the holidays too - no-where near as major as yours by the sounds of things, but it cracked the front M-sport bumper, so will need replacing, along with a new xenon unit (an angel eye broke and the unit has come loose from the framework) and a headlamp washer cap. Got a quote from the local BMW dealership who say 3 days and £1800 (including parts, labour, paint and VAT)... Seems pretty steep for a little bump, but then the other party's insurer is coughing up, so hey ho...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
stevew
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by v24mis View Post
the insurance wanted to take it to a normal garage but he insisted that the work is done by BMW bodyshop so it is getting repaired at Hexagon BMW in London.
I had a simliar experience earlier today. Was rear ended at low speed by a Golf, which slid into me on an icy road, whilst I was stationary at a junction. After we swapped details etc I contacted my insurer (MoreThan) who wanted me to use one of their approved repairers but, as the car is only a month old, I insisted it that it had to be done by a BMW bodyshop. After much "but sir our approved reparers will provide a lifetime warranty etc etc" they finally agreed to use the dealer of my choice.

As they will be claiming the cost back from the other party's insurer I can't see why they argued other than they get cheaper rates.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

As they will be claiming the cost back from the other party's insurer I can't see why they argued other than they get cheaper rates.
You assume that the other parties insurance company will end up paying but right now it is your insurance company who are paying for all the work, hire car etc.

Assuming that they can then they will recover the costs but this could take months or longer. All this time, they are out of pocket.

So for now they will try and save as much or "their" money as possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #10
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Carl's right - you (the owner) sign off the work via a "Satisfaction Note" that you sign when you pick the car up.

No signed note, no payment for the repairer.
      01-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Usually they won't let you take the car unless you
sign. Any issues you have to complain to insurer. There are procedures you see .
      01-08-2010, 02:35 AM   #12
J4MES
my name is James
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the advice - the car should be returned next week, I think I'll ask my local BMW dealer to have a look at it (even if it's after I've signed for it).