E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 1200 Mile service complete!

12-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP / R56 JCW

1200 Mile service complete!

Just had my 1200mile running in service! Was great day....bmw suprised me when they invited me in to the workshop to be there while they do the service...Pretty cool talkin to some of the guys there.

Now i get to really open it up...oh yes!!
Attached Images

12-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 Valencia Orange 1M

I bet youre worse than a kid on Xmas morning
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Never understand this...can someone educate me on running in a new car. What's this babying before 1200 miles all about and now being able to thrash it around?

Seems like good fun...well done Wafs.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
Never understand this...can someone educate me on running in a new car. What's this babying before 1200 miles all about and now being able to thrash it around?

Seems like good fun...well done Wafs.
A lot of people believe that running your car very timid for the first so many thousand miles allows all the rings to properly seat in along with all the other internal components, thus allowing the utmost performance and durability from your newly purchased $80k car.
      12-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

is it just on the m3 that you need a service at 1200 miles? seems wayy too soon for a service for a new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
is it just on the m3 that you need a service at 1200 miles? seems wayy too soon for a service for a new car.
I am not sure, but it is in the best interest of the new owner to at least get an oil change after a few thousand miles on a new car due to all the metal shavings in your oil. Your magnetic oil plug and oil filter can only catch so much, the rest will be ran thru your engine components nonstop until your engine is turned off.
      12-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
You can really enjoy it now Wafik

Open her up to 8400RPM and listen to that engine roar, it will feel a different car now, believe me
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
A lot of people believe that running your car very timid for the first so many thousand miles allows all the rings to properly seat in along with all the other internal components, thus allowing the utmost performance and durability from your newly purchased $80k car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
I am not sure, but it is in the best interest of the new owner to at least get an oil change after a few thousand miles on a new car due to all the metal shavings in your oil. Your magnetic oil plug and oil filter can only catch so much, the rest will be ran thru your engine components nonstop until your engine is turned off.
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
I think the 'running in' period depends upon the 'type' of engine as well to be honest. I have never bothered running in an engine before but did with the M3. The dealer stressed the running in procedure. It is also displayed in a sticker in the corner of the windscreen re-iterating to keep it below 5000rpm. The 1200 mile service is imperitive with M3's and cars without it are de-valued. It is one of the first thing a dealer checks for when taking one in for stock.

On the opposite side of the specrum.....the missus has a new shape Citroen C5 and whilst the handbook says to keep it steady for the first x,000 miles, the fact that the car does not have it's first service for 20,000 miles or 24 months (whichever comes sooner) says to me that there is not much importance in running it in properly.

I have heard that the oil in the M3 engine when it leaves the factory is different to the oil that is then used for the rest of it's life but not sure if that is true? 'Running-on' oil used to be used years ago but not sure if it's still the case? Sure someone will be able to confirm?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I think the 'running in' period depends upon the 'type' of engine as well to be honest. I have never bothered running in an engine before but did with the M3. The dealer stressed the running in procedure. It is also displayed in a sticker in the corner of the windscreen re-iterating to keep it below 5000rpm. The 1200 mile service is imperitive with M3's and cars without it are de-valued. It is one of the first thing a dealer checks for when taking one in for stock.

On the opposite side of the specrum.....the missus has a new shape Citroen C5 and whilst the handbook says to keep it steady for the first x,000 miles, the fact that the car does not have it's first service for 20,000 miles or 24 months (whichever comes sooner) says to me that there is not much importance in running it in properly.

I have heard that the oil in the M3 engine when it leaves the factory is different to the oil that is then used for the rest of it's life but not sure if that is true? 'Running-on' oil used to be used years ago but not sure if it's still the case? Sure someone will be able to confirm?
Hi mate, yes its true...they were telling me today that the oil used is for the running in period is diferent. When they change the oil on the service, they re-fill it with castrol oil (cant remember which one). They gave me a an extra bottle of oil too.

The running in is important for the service...actually, bmw take it very serious, that if you miss the service and pass the 1200 by lots then they void the warranty!!

My car actually sounds a little louder after the service...wonder how comes? and i dont mean louder when rippin it..just louder even when its parked and the engine is on. Sounds good tho!
      12-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafik View Post
Hi mate, yes its true...they were telling me today that the oil used is for the running in period is diferent. When they change the oil on the service, they re-fill it with castrol oil (cant remember which one). They gave me a an extra bottle of oil too.
Castrol EDGE 10W-60 is a fully synthetic engine oil offering exceptional protection for high performance engines.This product is the sole oil approval for certain BMW M series eg M5, M3 plus Z8.

If you need any more, use Opie oils. Just under £40 for 4 litres which is very good Although the way your dealer is kissin' your ass at the moment I reckon you could just turn up and ask for a free top up
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #12
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

WAFIK whats with the please clean sign on the dash!!!

I am surprised that you would let a dealership clean your pride and joy
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #13
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Modern engines have water honed bores and are virtually run in from the factory, it's more to do with the gearbox and final drive these days.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Modern engines have water honed bores and are virtually run in from the factory, it's more to do with the gearbox and final drive these days.
+1. They have already been hammered.

Although if they have thicker oil in for the running in period then obviously this will need changing.
      12-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Who cares whether it needs it? If the manual says it does then you do it!!!!

M engines aren't like our normal motors, they're built to much lower volumes and with tighter tolerances etc.

Ahem, although the 335i did win international engine of the year, er, twice.

I still change my oil every 8 to 10k which is twice what he 'manual' says.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #16
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Who cares whether it needs it? If the manual says it does then you do it!!!!

M engines aren't like our normal motors, they're built to much lower volumes and with tighter tolerances etc.

Ahem, although the 335i did win international engine of the year, er, twice.

I still change my oil every 8 to 10k which is twice what he 'manual' says.
Just had my first change done at 5k, for £100 is wasn't worth skimping on.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #17
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Nice one wafik,

Seems you live just around the corner from me, I take it you used Sytner Harold Wood?

Trying to get them to sort me out a motor but it seems 335d coupes are thin on the ground (with the spec I want)!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #18
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Normally the case and manaul M3's get the gearbox oil changed at this service but on the DCT equipped car's the gearbox oil is not to be changed. There have been many horror stories in the US where the oil has been changed and filled with the normal M3 gearbox oil. This destroys the box in the next hundred miles!

I think the diff oil is changed though - pretty sure Wafik will confirm.

It is a £450 service with no price difference for DCT cars that need no gearbox oil! Most dealers have already 'built' the cost into the sale price though so it 'appears' to be FOC to the punter.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
WAFIK whats with the please clean sign on the dash!!!

I am surprised that you would let a dealership clean your pride and joy
lol i didnt put the please cleam me sign on the dash...the service dude did. They put signs with what needs to be done on the dash.

Dony worry i didnt let them clean it...told them not too - thats why i washed it before i went...
      12-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Normally the case and manaul M3's get the gearbox oil changed at this service but on the DCT equipped car's the gearbox oil is not to be changed. There have been many horror stories in the US where the oil has been changed and filled with the normal M3 gearbox oil. This destroys the box in the next hundred miles!

I think the diff oil is changed though - pretty sure Wafik will confirm.

It is a £450 service with no price difference for DCT cars that need no gearbox oil! Most dealers have already 'built' the cost into the sale price though so it 'appears' to be FOC to the punter.
Yup...the diff oil was also changed

Did you pay for the service? if yes...did it cost you £450?
      12-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #21
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

i understand now...but still, how you managed to drive that beast for 1200miles without hammering it beyond me. it must of been really difficult!
heck, ive got a 330i and i cant stop hammering it, cant imagine what id be like in a new m3
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #22
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
i understand now...but still, how you managed to drive that beast for 1200miles without hammering it beyond me. it must of been really difficult!
heck, ive got a 330i and i cant stop hammering it, cant imagine what id be like in a new m3
Agree...so what if something happened before the 1200 miles? Would the warranty be void? Is there some sort of computer monitoring that you don't go over the specified RPM (you never know )
Appreciate 0