E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Any way to set the Aux Input Level?

08-12-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Any way to set the Aux Input Level?

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this. I have to have my IPOD at max volume to have the volume on the Aux match reasonably close to that on the FM or CD inputs.
      08-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

Hey, not that i could find. I just max my ipod to 95% volume and use the volume controls on the steering to get the volume up. Maybe when the sept sw comes out they will add this feature.

Nathan
[ US 2010 X5 3.0 | Space Gray | Black Nevada Leather | Dark Bamboo Wood Trim | Premium Package | Sport Activity Package | Premium Sound Package | Technology Package | Heated Front Seats | Multi-Contour Seats | Smartphone Integration | Space Saver | iPhone 3GS ]
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
zippo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Pg 6 of the Radio manual that was furnished with my car, second column lists steps to "...adjust the volume of the external audio device to that of the car radio..."

Is this what you're looking for?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

He has nav... so I think he can't adjust the input level. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
zippo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
He has nav... so I think he can't adjust the input level. Sorry.
Well I missed that (him having Nav)....so what I suggested doesn't apply, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
mwie
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SG

Hi mdemange,

I had a talk withmy dealer about that - at the moment there is no way to change the aux level and he did not know, if there will be a fix in one of the next SW versions...

As you can change the level when you have the normal radio I think it would be a good idea to have that with the navi too But whatever BMW techies are thinking about... practical solutions seem to get into their minds only n special days during the year

So let us keep hoping...

mwie
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
To further add to the discussion, I remember coming across the technical specifications for the different radio units in the e90's, and iDrive cars do NOT have an aux input volume adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 09:56 PM   #8
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
about the ipod level. i bought a adpater through sik.com and instead of hooking into the headphone port on the ipod it hooks up through the dock. because it goes through the dock the volume is controlled solely through the system in the car. there is no need to change the volume on your actually ipod.
      08-13-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Very Well

I believe Belkin's charger unit for ipod also has an output control...I ordered one through ebay....check out the audio thread on this site fmi.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 10:29 PM   #10
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck724
about the ipod level. i bought a adpater through sik.com and instead of hooking into the headphone port on the ipod it hooks up through the dock. because it goes through the dock the volume is controlled solely through the system in the car. there is no need to change the volume on your actually ipod.
I looked at their site and it looks encouraging. Has anyone tried this as I'd hate to spend the $30 and find that the preset level coming out is still insufficient to drive the Aux input.
      08-14-2005, 04:41 AM   #11
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
...i have the adaptor from sik.com and it works wonderfully in my honda pilot. i control the audio level from my steering wheel. i am pretty confident that the same will happen when my bimmer arrives. my best friend works at the apple store so he knows a lot about ipods. he says that if the ipod is connected through the dock it is registered as a digital connection. if it is connected through the headphone port, the ipod thinks that it is connected to headphones therefore the volume control remains on the ipod.

hope that helps.
      08-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #12
George Chronis
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i 2006

The AUX in level is fixed. No adaptor or anything else can do anything about that. HOWEVER: The line out level of the iPod is way stronger than the max out of the headphone out. If you use any adaptor for the dock out, you should be fine (I use sik). Any controls there (like on the belkin) only reduce the sound output volume, they are not amplifiers, so you don't need them. The BMW volume control should suffice.
      08-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #13
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chronis
The AUX in level is fixed. No adaptor or anything else can do anything about that. HOWEVER: The line out level of the iPod is way stronger than the max out of the headphone out. If you use any adaptor for the dock out, you should be fine (I use sik). Any controls there (like on the belkin) only reduce the sound output volume, they are not amplifiers, so you don't need them. The BMW volume control should suffice.
Supports all iPods with Dock Connector.

Specifications:

Control's your iPod device's volume level with adjustable amplifier
Features a 3.5mm audio output that plays your iPod through your car stereo
Manages excess cord easily with a convenient strap
Locks securely to your iPod with dock connector
Lifetime Warranty
www.belkin.com

Funny that sik.com refers the Belkin has "adjustable amplifier'?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #14
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

i just bought one of these belkin car charger adapters on ebay for 7 bucks shipped. it works great, charges your ipod, fits nicely in the glove compartment, and has adjustable volume. you can just match it to the volume level of your radio,sat,or cd if you want. i would suggest checking ebay for this item rather then buying it for 40 bucks at best buy or whereever else.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #15
garethpeate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325iSE (E90)

I'm not sure if this is so much of an issue in the USA, but in Europe, iPods have their volume limited due to EU regulations to stop us deafening ourselves. This can be removed by means of a simple software update (which isn't endorsed or promoted by Apple in any way). I found it gave me an extra 50% on my volume.. I can hear things now!

You can find out more about it at http://gopod.free-go.net/index_en.htm
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #16
JVFan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Actually there is an amplifier in the Belkin...I just received mine today.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #17
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just purchased a product called a PocketDock that adapts the docking connector to 3.5mm for connection to the Aux input. Works great with plenty of volume and a nice match in loudness between the CD or FM volume levels and that coming from the iPod!!! Now my only gripe is that the steering wheel control, when programmed to alternate input sources only connects the CD, FM, and AM and not the Aux input.
      08-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #18
George Chronis
Private
Rep

Weird. Mine rotates the Aux as well. I don't have iDrive though, so I didn't program anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemange
I just purchased a product called a PocketDock that adapts the docking connector to 3.5mm for connection to the Aux input. Works great with plenty of volume and a nice match in loudness between the CD or FM volume levels and that coming from the iPod!!! Now my only gripe is that the steering wheel control, when programmed to alternate input sources only connects the CD, FM, and AM and not the Aux input.
      08-22-2005, 12:52 AM   #19
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Does the sik sound better? I keep the iPod volume at 75% so it won't distort and my aux-vol at 5 but at high volume I can hear a little whine. This is my setup.
Attached Images

08-22-2005, 07:36 AM   #20
George Chronis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclay
Does the sik sound better? I keep the iPod volume at 75% so it won't distort and my aux-vol at 5 but at high volume I can hear a little whine. This is my setup.
I don't have a whine with the sik, but I didn't have a whine before the sik either. I just had to have the BMW volume up too high (and the iPod's volume at around 75% for the same reason as you). Is it an RPM whine (it increases with an increase in RPM) or is it a constant whine? If it's RPM, it probably means that there is no good ground. The line out signal is supposed to be better than the headphone signal, especially since it doesn't need that much amplification, which will eventually degrade it.
      08-22-2005, 08:36 AM   #21
iDrive-E90
Intergalactic Commander
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemange
.........Now my only gripe is that the steering wheel control, when programmed to alternate input sources only connects the CD, FM, and AM and not the Aux input.
Me too. Aux is left out of the cycle.

But you can get there immediately with a voice command.

Try >Audio Aux menu< or I think >auxiliary< also works. Something like that
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 07:20 PM   #22
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't have a whine with the sik, but I didn't have a whine before the sik either. I just had to have the BMW volume up too high (and the iPod's volume at around 75% for the same reason as you). Is it an RPM whine (it increases with an increase in RPM) or is it a constant whine? If it's RPM, it probably means that there is no good ground. The line out signal is supposed to be better than the headphone signal, especially since it doesn't need that much amplification, which will eventually degrade it.
It's an RPM whine that only happens at high RPMs and high main volume and I can only hear it when there is a break in the music. I'll try the sik and post back about it.