E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Pads WORN Light!!! Need advice.

11-22-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Spitfirocks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 07

Brake Pads WORN Light!!! Need advice.

First off, i have an 06 e90, and when i started my car today, it said brakes worn, need replacement brakes. When I check the status of the brakes through idrive, it says there is still 20k miles before I need to change, and it shows all status okay, however the break light is remaining on. About two weeks ago I was having restraint system issues, and the dealer said that the car is having electrical problems due to low voltage. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

i think that you should take your car to the dealer again and ask what's up
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I think people should learn to look at their own break pads rather than rely on the computer.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I think people should learn to look at their own break pads rather than rely on the computer.
If it's still covered under extended maintenance/CPO warranty, why not take it in? I'm not going to mess with shit I know little to nothing about in my driveway unless I absolutely have to.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
jmd_forest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

The computer doesn't actually measure how much pad is left, it "estimates" how much is left. The warning light is actuated by a sensor on the pad. If the sensor or wiring hasn't gone bad, you need to replace the pads. Simply pull off the wheel and look to see how much pad you have left! If you aren't already grinding the pad plate against the rotor, you probably will be soon.

jmd_forest
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

You just look at the pad and you can see how much is left.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfirocks View Post
First off, i have an 06 e90, and when i started my car today, it said brakes worn, need replacement brakes. When I check the status of the brakes through idrive, it says there is still 20k miles before I need to change, and it shows all status okay, however the break light is remaining on. About two weeks ago I was having restraint system issues, and the dealer said that the car is having electrical problems due to low voltage. What do you guys think?
I think you should replace the pads, and probably get the battery/alternator checked. Almost any auto parts store can check your battery and alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I think people should learn to look at their own brake pads rather than rely on the computer.
I agree. I started doing brake jobs at 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd_forest View Post
The computer doesn't actually measure how much pad is left, it "estimates" how much is left. The warning light is actuated by a sensor on the pad. If the sensor or wiring hasn't gone bad, you need to replace the pads. Simply pull off the wheel and look to see how much pad you have left! If you aren't already grinding the pad plate against the rotor, you probably will be soon.

jmd_forest
+1. BMW brakes are easy.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

With something as important as brakes, I wouldn't mess around. Get it checked out asap.
      11-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
Anthony@F1 Autohaüs
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 330I

The Brake Light Indicator is more Reliable then the Computer Estimated Replacement Schedule. If you rims are the Open Spoke Design. I would look in the Rim and look at the Caliper to See how Much Pad Life you got.

-Anthony@F1 Autohaus
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfirocks View Post
When my brake light came on I took it to the dealership. They said my front pads needed to be replaced and the rear sensors were loose. Since it was still under warranty they replaced the front pads and all four sensors for free. If your car is still under warranty you should take it in.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0