E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How to get my private plates back after car been stolen

11-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
BMW_NP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325

How to get my private plates back after car been stolen

Hi

My car was stolen last year which i had a private Regisration on i was told i would have to wait a year to get it back which it has been, i've tried searching online but i cant find any information on what i have to do to get it back and I can't seem to find a form on the Dvla Website.

I was wondering if anyone had any experince in trying to get there plates back after their cars been stolen.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

No experience on this but your only option can only be with DVLA. Just call them up. I guess they will want details from the Police and insurance company to verify the vehicle has now completely gone. Have the Police closed the case? Have the insurance company paid out? Armed with this info there is no reason the plate cannot be moved onto a new vehicle or put on retention.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
BMW_NP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

yep i have my crime ref number, and the insurance paid out 1st week jan, i found all the bits n bobs like the letter i needed from my insurance company saying they have no interest in the plate,

I guess i have to call them up on monday and see what they got to say, ( i have this feeling now its going to be a long phone call with 95% of the time me beening onn hold )
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I believe if you get the car back you can transfer the plate if you have told the insurance comp that you wish to retain it. If the car is not recovered after 12 months you can apply to DVLA for the number via a retention certificate.

There may be conditions regarding the private plate ie. whether the car is written off or damaged/repaired and although all of this may seem a PITA, it's done to protect the registered owner of the private plate.

Ultimately you need to contact DVLA themselves and get the name of the person with whom you are speaking for future reference.

Shouldn't be on hold too long tbh, there are now systems in place to avoid this - honest lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_NP View Post
yep i have my crime ref number, and the insurance paid out 1st week jan, i found all the bits n bobs like the letter i needed from my insurance company saying they have no interest in the plate,

I guess i have to call them up on monday and see what they got to say, ( i have this feeling now its going to be a long phone call with 95% of the time me beening onn hold )
I would put aside an hour of your morning on this. You could well end up with an 0870 number which will cost you some added pennies. Put this number into www.saynoto0870.co.uk to get the standard landline number.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

bro, been through EXACTLY the same problem, you need to visit the local DVLA office, best to speak to someone, my application kept being rejectedt as i wasn't sending in the tax and mot for the car!

once you explain it and put about 20 covering letters in with your transfer form it should be pretty quick!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
j19yjh999
United Kingdom
Rep

If your vehicle has been stolen and unrecovered then you have to wait 1 year until you can transfer your plate. DVLA will write out to you after one year informing you that you are now able to transfer your plate. You will then need to submit the following:-

V317 application form (available online or in the local offices)
£80 (Cheques made payable to DVLA)
2 x V5c (or just the V5c for your new vehicle if the insurance company has requested the old one)
MOT for new vehicle (if it requires one)
Letter from DVLA which states that you are now free to move plate
Tax disc expiry date and serial number (to be written on form)

7 Working days all done!

If the car has been stolen and recovered then you can move your plate immediately by doing the above. (Only difference being that you won’t have the letter from them)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
BMW_NP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks alot i did remember reading somewere last year that they will send me a letter well i reported my car stolen 19th of nov last year and hasn't been recovered yet maybe a should wait a week for the letter to come.

if not give them a call and see whats going on or drop down to the local office.

And come to think about it ,i noticed how the DVLA didnt refund my Tax disc for the reminder of months left even though i filled in the form and sent it off i totaly forgot about that even though it was only like £10, "must of got lost in the post" funny how the tax disc reminder never gets lost
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
BMW_NP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
I would put aside an hour of your morning on this. You could well end up with an 0870 number which will cost you some added pennies. Put this number into www.saynoto0870.co.uk to get the standard landline number.
Thanks for that number, was goning to call dvla of my mobile so that now will be free, i had app like this for my iphone
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
What a load of bollocks, I mean who the hell is going to drive a stolen around car on a personal plate stolen with the car, so why do the DVLA make you wait a year
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
BMW_NP
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thats what i thought, plus even the DVLA know that expensive cars never get found if they aint been found within the first 2 weeks.

If anythink taking the plates of the car will mean there going to be some1 driving around on a un registered stolen car which would stand out to the police even more.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I'd never heard of anything like this! Sounds crazy for you to wait a year to get your plate back from a stolen car which will obviously have dodgy new plates on immediately. I'd be so pissed off if this happened to me (more so that my car going missing!).

Hope you manage to sort things out easily from here on.

That saynoto0870 website is just simply the best website ever invented I use it all the time. Just cant get a phone number for Sky though!
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0