E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Local dealer who is aware of ethanol problems

11-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Local dealer who is aware of ethanol problems

Just a heads up and actually a very interesting piece of information IMHO. Thought I'd share....

So, I went into Bill Jacobs for service yesterday. A bit of rough idle and a suspected leak in a tire.... Last time my HPFP went, they did some tests on startup and found the pressure to be low, so they replaced it no questions asked. This time, the tech and SA came out to talk to me once they had finished all of their tests, and told me they couldn't really find anything wrong with it, which was no surprise, because it only really does it when the car is cold. However, what transpired after that was pretty surprising.

The tech asked me what kind of gas I put in and I told him only Shell premium (which is true). He proceeds to tell me that the problem is probably due to an injector or the pump going, which would be caused by the winter blends of gas now being served at local gas stations. They said they have tested samples from around the area, and have found consistently that the gas stations are carrying a 15% blend. So, he said once I get a misfire due to this issue, bring the car in so they have a logged error, and they will go ahead and replace the injectors or whatever else they see as potentially faulty. They seemed to really understand that the owners are not to blame, and they aren't going to give anyone a hard time about that shit, which is really nice to know, considering the fact that they have every lawful right to deny warranty work if you've been using gasoline outside of manufacturer's recommended content.

I'm pretty impressed that they actually went ahead and took samples from the area, and that they're on the right side of the fence about this, after all of the horror stories you read on here from other dealerships. I even asked about the carbon buildup problem on the valves, due to the fact that our cars are DI. Both the tech and the SA ok'd a properly done seafoam treatment, which surprised the shit out of me. I mean, of course if I screw it up, I'll hold myself responsible, but it's nice to have a service department that you know won't fuck with you about stuff that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. As far as mods go, I don't know if they're mod frinedly or not, as the only mod I had on my car was the muffler delete.

So, I guess the only point of this is to confirm with everyone that Bill Jacobs won't fuck around when it comes to ethanol and the way it rapes our fuel delivery system. Nice to know for me at least....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Hmmm....who was your SA and tech?
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
damn thats bogus
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
Hmmm....who was your SA and tech?
I'll check my paperwork. I haven't had that SA before. He sits second desk to the right as you're looking at all of the SA's from the showroom. Glasses, maybe his name was Brett.... I'll check the paperwork. Tech was slightly built, supposedly drinks lots of Monster like me, buzzed/shaved head, beginnings of a beard.... Yeah I'll just look on the paperwork when I get a chance.

I'm surprised the gas companies are getting away with that >10% shit.... Especially because I believe they would have to indicate, by law, how much ethanol is in there, and "up to 10%" is a straight lie.

The way the tech said it to me, a failure is imminent, and he was pointed more towards the injectors being the problem.... Said I'd just have to wait until I get one great big misfire, then they'll probably replace all of 'em. They did two HPFP's just yesterday, and said they are in for it all the time.... BJ seems to be very aware and on board with this ethanol stuff.

Saw an IS-F on the lot with 12k miles on it.... Thought about traveling over to the sales department and switching rides lol.... Alas I didn't do it. Yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Interesting thread. I also only ever use Shell V-Power premium (this usually requires me going out of my way as Shell don't have many stations up here), and I have kept all my fuel receipts since I bought the car just in a case a question ever arises. Touch wood, I have not had any HPFP issues thus far...

It is concerning if the gas companies are not in fact being true to their advertised ethanol content...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

..when they say up to 10% they actually mean 20 % lol..
think about this. . they even did this with premium what about regular .. pretty much like 25 to 30 lol..jesus christ.. my friend's dad owns a gas station in springfield he told me he would not put the gas he sell in his own car....which explain a lot ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I'll check my paperwork. I haven't had that SA before. He sits second desk to the right as you're looking at all of the SA's from the showroom. Glasses, maybe his name was Brett.... I'll check the paperwork. Tech was slightly built, supposedly drinks lots of Monster like me, buzzed/shaved head, beginnings of a beard.... Yeah I'll just look on the paperwork when I get a chance.

I'm surprised the gas companies are getting away with that >10% shit.... Especially because I believe they would have to indicate, by law, how much ethanol is in there, and "up to 10%" is a straight lie.

The way the tech said it to me, a failure is imminent, and he was pointed more towards the injectors being the problem.... Said I'd just have to wait until I get one great big misfire, then they'll probably replace all of 'em. They did two HPFP's just yesterday, and said they are in for it all the time.... BJ seems to be very aware and on board with this ethanol stuff.

Saw an IS-F on the lot with 12k miles on it.... Thought about traveling over to the sales department and switching rides lol.... Alas I didn't do it. Yet.

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
It is concerning if the gas companies are not in fact being true to their advertised ethanol content...
What is most disconcerting is the fact that ethanol is more expensive to source.... So why would gas companies be cutting more into it? I guess it makes sense for the higher octanes because ethanol is a good octane booster, but you would think that there would be the minimum amount contained in the blend due to cost.... It doesn't make sense to me.
Appreciate 0