BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

11-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Kinda a dumb question.

I couldnt find this on google. I wanted to know what that long flat spoiler thing is on the front of some of the race cars? It usually has chains or something connecting it to the bumper.

Thanks, I tried google, but didnt know what to type and couldnt find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I couldnt find this on google. I wanted to know what that long flat spoiler thing is on the front of some of the race cars? It usually has chains or something connecting it to the bumper.

Thanks, I tried google, but didnt know what to type and couldnt find it.
It's called an Aero Splitter.

It's function is to provide down force to the front end of the car to improve the front grip. (forward bite)

Race teams do this, so they can run higher speeds into corners (without losing the front end), and it also keeps the car stable at maximum speed on the straightaways.
      11-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
It's called an Aero Splitter.

It's function is to provide down force to the front end of the car to improve the front grip. (forward bite)

Race teams do this, so they can run higher speeds into corners (without losing the front end), and it also keeps the car stable at maximum speed on the straightaways.
Oh thanks. It seems like this would be something that would hurt aerodynamics, but I guess its more important to keep the front of the car from lifting up, lol.

So I guess the alms m3 which uses one is blazing fast then! Why did they need chains to hold it on?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Oh thanks. It seems like this would be something that would hurt aerodynamics, but I guess its more important to keep the front of the car from lifting up, lol.

So I guess the alms m3 which uses one is blazing fast then! Why did they need chains to hold it on?
The force of the oncoming air (at speed) puts a tremendous amount of downward pressure on that piece. The chains (or struts) will help hold the splitter UP in it correct position, or otherwise it would actually BUCKLE due to the air pressure that is being exerted on it at high speeds.

In others words...the chains (or struts) are there to reinforce this aerodynamic piece so it doesn't break off the car.

Some of these very large flat splitters don't use much reinforcement if they are made out of a thicker Carbon Fiber or Carbon Fiber/Kevlar materials. Of course using these materials will send your costs through the roof.

Racing is hella expensive to begin with, but the R&D and manufacturing costs involved in building the perfect FUNCTIONAL front splitter isn't cheap.

I have a good friend who works for the Rahal-Letterman ALMS team.

They spend a few million dollars per season racing in the ALMS series. (which has a very limited schedule compared to NASCAR for example)

And they they don't even bother going to LeMans, due to the staggering costs involved. (that one race would amount to about 25% of their yearly racing budget!)
      11-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ah. Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe ill make another thread asking where to watch one of these cars in action!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
And they they don't even bother going to LeMans, due to the staggering costs involved. (that one race would amount to about 25% of their yearly racing budget!)
Well BMW should step up and help them field the car at LeMans. fukin dumb...one of the most famous and prestigious races in motor racing and BMW cannot open the wallet and make it happen.

BTW, the struts on the splitters can also be use to adjust the angle of the splitter to provide more or less downforce.
      11-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Ah. Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe ill make another thread asking where to watch one of these cars in action!
Just shoot me an IM on AIM...I can handle all of your questions, haha.
      11-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMoore View Post
Just shoot me an IM on AIM...I can handle all of your questions, haha.
Appreciate 0