BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
ducboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i; 2015 X5 xDrive35d

Route Request - Munich to London

Hi! I'm taking ED on December 18 and need to get to London from Munich straight away. My wife wants to take a direct route (boring), I'd rather do an overnight stay somewhere and make it more interesting. Do any of you have any suggestions? Depart Munich Dec 18 and arrive London Dec 19??
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Munich to London direct is a LONG as ride even if you're lucky and don't have any traffic jams. During that timeframe, pretty much anywhere you'll stay will be nice as the Xmas markets will be occuring throughout towns. You should mention which route you'll be taking for preference. Going through France direct or cutting into Belgium?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
ducboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i; 2015 X5 xDrive35d

We won't be spending much time in France when we are there, so we will likely take the direct route. Reims seems like the halfway point, so maybe we will stop there for the night??
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 04:01 AM   #4
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
That's a really long drive you're attempting there. Yes I think going via Reims (nice town) is the most direct route but it will be at least a 7 hour drive from Munich assuming perfect conditions and no traffic jams (a big assumption!). Bear in mind December is getting pretty cold and the roads could be dodgy.

Also, for the second day which isn't so long you have to contend with crossing the channel. Are you going to put the car on the train or a ferry?

It's certainly not feasible to do the whole trip in 1 day and I would recommend 3 days. Then you could stay in Strasbourg (gorgeous city) and maybe Lille.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0