E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > PaintShield and Pro-Valeting do another fantastic job!

11-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
PaintShield and Pro-Valeting do another fantastic job!

I promised myself I'd get a clear bra for my next car, since seeing the aftermath of stone chips on my previous cars, which resulted in a respray on my previous BMW. I don't believe respray is ever as good as the original paint (unless its a total car respray!).

I started to prepare the B3 for its trip down to PaintShield at Peterborough. On Sunday I washed the car and applied masking tape on the front of the car including bonnet, bumper, fronts wings, mirrors and sills. I opted for a full bonnet, front wings mirriors, and sills with clear film protection.

On Monday I had an early start in the morning to beat the rush hour traffic down to PaintShield at Peterborough. I also pre arranged for Roy Kunz of Pro-Valeting to detail the panels which where having the protective film applied. Roy was highly recommended by PaintShield and has detailed a number of cars for them.

I was able to discuss my queries with the installers, such as wanting the film to wrap around edges to conceal the film's edge, and how they intended to proceed with the Alpina's lower front bumper. All my queries were answered which put me at ease.

Without going into detail, before Paintshield started to apply the film, there were some issues with the paint finish on inspection, and I was asked to travel back down to Peterborough to have a look at them as to see what action I wanted to take - either a respray on the affected panels under warranty, or ask if Roy could resolve the problems. Knowing the potential risks of a respray I asked if Roy could work his magic on the affected areas. I arranged to go back the next day to see the finished result. So a job which should have taken two days finished up taking three. It was well worth it in the end as I was gobsmacked on the quality of finish on the car. I wish the car could look like this all the time. Roy used Swissvax Crystal Rock on the car.

These guys are true enthusiasts and dedicated people for which second best is not an option and perfection is their objective. I cannot recommend Roy, and Tom's team at PaintShield highly enough.

All their staff are really friendly and aim to totally give 100% customer satisfaction. Due to the unplanned extra visit down to Peterborough I was offered a Ford Focus ST to get back home instead of the train, which was really helpful. Here are some pics of the finished job.

(These pics do not do justice to the finish.)

Last edited by Estoril Sport; 11-05-2009 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Fab
I had mine done over a year ago, and it's saved the front end from all sorts of untold damage. Brilliant product, and brilliant people
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
bmw330dconv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330D Convertible

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Im sorry I dont understand what exactly was done, sorry if I sound stupid but did you have a front end respray and then paint shield put over it?
      11-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

Stunning.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330dconv View Post
Im sorry I dont understand what exactly was done, sorry if I sound stupid but did you have a front end respray and then paint shield put over it?
Front end professionally corrected, usually a mixture of clay, maybe wet/dry sand with 1600 grit, and then polish, glaze and wzx.

And then a clear vinyl placed over everything to protect the paint from damage and chips. Basically he can remove the vinyl whenever, and the paint underneath will still be perfect.
      11-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
bmw330dconv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330D Convertible

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
oooh sounds good! How much does something like this usually cost?
      11-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
about a grand...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
James_335i
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335i m sport touring

Been quoted around £500 for front bumper/bonnet + mirrors

E92FAN

In your experience, does this film stop swirling and paint defects or is it susceptible to it like normal paint?

Thanks,
james

Last edited by James_335i; 11-05-2009 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

is it just me who would have to remove the "stripe" stickers from the front bumper (next to headlights) ???

Lovely car otherwise but that bit really bugs me....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_335i View Post

E92FAN

In your experience, does this film stop swirling and paint defects or is it susceptible to it like normal paint?

Thanks,
james

The film doesn't suffer from swirling and protects the paint underneath from suffering from any defects. The film on my car has been on for over a year, almost a year and a half, and the paint underneath is still perfect. You treat the film as you would paint, so it will still scratch if you're not careful with it. I wax the film just as I would paint, and that keeps it looking new.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
is it just me who would have to remove the "stripe" stickers from the front bumper (next to headlights) ???

Lovely car otherwise but that bit really bugs me....
The film is on top of the Alpina strips, The only real problem if later I decide to remove the film it will also remove the Aplina strips.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
James_335i
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
The film doesn't suffer from swirling and protects the paint underneath from suffering from any defects.
That is just as good as stopping the stone chips
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is just as good as stopping the stone chips
The film has a very fine orange peel effect which after applying wax reduces more. I have been recommended to get some Dodo Juice Supernatural was on the film.

I noticed that before the detailing and film was applied the orange peel effect on the front wings was not good at all. my wife though the paint had gone wrong. After the detailing and adding the film as improved this no end, so the bonnet, wings and bumper have now the same finish.

Last edited by Estoril Sport; 11-07-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #14
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

E92FAN

Thanks,
james
from these guys? I'm sure they quoted me 900 odd for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Neil, PM Sent

Today applied the Dodo Juice Supernatural wax, had to apply it with my hands as the wax was so hard, this was the first time applied wax by hand, seams to be a bit quicker and the application I think is better, more even as the wax is warm from your hand it goes further and thiner on the bodywork.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

E92FAN

Thanks,
james

I believe the £500 is for the (standard kit) including bonnet and bumper

The also have mini bikini line Patten as well!

The have lots of differing Pattens to suit the model, best think is to look at their existing catalogue at http://www.paintshield.co.uk/products/paintshield.php

I went for the full bonnet wings, bumper and sills

As for the bonnet and wings the top edges were wrapped so to reduce visible edging down the split line.

They have a range of M3 pattens at http://www.paintshield.co.uk/product...&model=69%7CM3
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
James_335i
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I believe the £500 is for the (standard kit) including bonnet and bumper
Yep

I am probably going to get this done within a week of delivery of my new car. I am sure I have read BMW paint finish isn't great..? Would a quick detail be advised before, or is this OTT as the car will only be a week old!

Cheers,
James
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #18
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep

I am probably going to get this done within a week of delivery of my new car. I am sure I have read BMW paint finish isn't great..? Would a quick detail be advised before, or is this OTT as the car will only be a week old!

Cheers,
James
My paint was not good at all, and mine was brand new it was bad on the bonnet and boot lid, the guys at Paintshield thought that my bonnet had a respray but the detailer made it good. I would recommend it at least on the panels that are being covered. Would also orecommed covering the front/ bonnet with masking tape just to stop any stone chips on the way there. I must say I got a few funny looks having a two toned car!

Last edited by Estoril Sport; 11-15-2009 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #19
jedi-knight83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430d GC, XKR, Clio 172

Nice looking Alpina (although I still dont personally get the lines all over them.. bit 1980s)

Paint shield (or indeed any protective film applied to a car) can actually suffer from swirl marks just the same as paint. They are much harder to polish out though when they do appear. Also I have found protective films to suffer particularly badly from fly splatter (you will notice more in the summer) and the actually embed into the film and again are a bit unsightly and difficult to remove.

I have also seen issues (on all brands of film) where a high speed stone impact (usually on track) can break through the film and cause a chip.. or impact so hard it damages the paint underneath which then flakes away when the film is removed.

That said its a good product and better than having millions of stone chips... but don't go around thinking that its a perfect solution... it still has its own different downsides.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi-knight83 View Post

Paint shield (or indeed any protective film applied to a car) can actually suffer from swirl marks just the same as paint. They are much harder to polish out though when they do appear. Also I have found protective films to suffer particularly badly from fly splatter (you will notice more in the summer) and the actually embed into the film and again are a bit unsightly and difficult to remove.

I have also seen issues (on all brands of film) where a high speed stone impact (usually on track) can break through the film and cause a chip.. or impact so hard it damages the paint underneath which then flakes away when the film is removed.

That said its a good product and better than having millions of stone chips... but don't go around thinking that its a perfect solution... it still has its own different downsides.
Hi jedi-knight83

You have made some very valid comments, especially about the fly splatter, Paintshield recommend that the film is should protected, by regular coatings of polish / wax as bird droppings and tree sap can adversely effect it as like lacquer/paint. I would have liked to apply multiple layers of Zaino polish but I have been recommend against this as it may yellow the film slightly in time.

As to issue of the the high impact stones braking through the film, any protection has it limitations. I appreciate the reality check.

Last edited by Estoril Sport; 11-16-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #21
jedi-knight83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430d GC, XKR, Clio 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Sport View Post
Hi jedi-knight

You have made some very valid comments, especially about the fly splatter, Paintshield recommend that the film is should protected, by regular coatings of polish / wax as bird droppings and tree sap can adversely effect it as like lacquer/paint. I would have liked to apply multiple layers of Zaino polish but I have been recommend against this as it may yellow the film slightly in time.

As to issue of the the high impact stones braking through the film, any protection has it limitations. I appreciate the reality check.

The fly splatter happens despite regular cleaning and waxing and it embeds into the film. Have seen it on both paintshield and ventureshield.

Also sealants don't yellow the film. On the contrary it was always believed that wax was the culprit for yellowing film. But actually I've not experienced either finishing product yellowing the film on any colour of car. Leaving the film un-protected and un-polished for months on end however will speed up the yellowing process as will poor washing and letting it get scratched and dirt getting into those scratches.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #22
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

hmm might have to get this done as discovered two huge chips right by the badge this morning