Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > New Car & Driver Tire Test

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
HapaVibe
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW

New Car & Driver Tire Test

The new C & D has a comparision of hi-performance A/S, A/S, winter, and snow/ice tires. No summer tires included. All Michelin tires tested on an Infiniti G37. The results are fairly predictable with the tires doing best at what they were made for, e.g. snow/ice tires best in the snow and ice but sacrificing dry and wet performance. Winter tires appear to be the best for where I live. Cool to cold weather, black ice on many days, and a few days of snow.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Yeah, it sucks that they don't use salt here. So, lots of icy roads during winter. I'm going to switch over to my Blizzaks in a week's time.
      10-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I wish SOMEONE would test summer tires in cold, dry conditions so we can see how much we'd actually gain by switching to all-season or winter tires. I only experience cold weather in the mornings for a few months per year, and all-season tires may compromise performance most of the time more than they gain performance for those cold mornings. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough information out there to make an informed decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Weird. The 5 years Ive been in WA, not once did I need winter tires. I even used my PS2s one winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
unagi1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 WRX, 2014 C63 507, 91 Mr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I wish SOMEONE would test summer tires in cold, dry conditions so we can see how much we'd actually gain by switching to all-season or winter tires. I only experience cold weather in the mornings for a few months per year, and all-season tires may compromise performance most of the time more than they gain performance for those cold mornings. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough information out there to make an informed decision.
Don't you have summer tires? Just leave them on

I think the consensus is that as long as it's dry, you will be fine. Once you get any rain or snow however combined with that cold weather, they'll be basically useless. That's always been the case with my summer tires...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Weird. The 5 years Ive been in WA, not once did I need winter tires. I even used my PS2s one winter.
Must not have driven your car last winter! Not sure about Tacoma, but down here in Vancouver we had two weeks worth of snow. My car was sidelined in the garage and I decided this year I'd be prepared. Plus, nice to have separate wheels for the winter so my 19's don't get beat.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ction_-feature
      10-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Must not have driven your car last winter! Not sure about Tacoma, but down here in Vancouver we had two weeks worth of snow. My car was sidelined in the garage and I decided this year I'd be prepared. Plus, nice to have separate wheels for the winter so my 19's don't get beat.
Pacific Northwest snow is the worst I've ever experienced anywhwere. I grew up right down the road from you (Battle Ground). In high school once, I was coming down from Mt. Hood and got into a fender bender. My friend drove back up to find me in his trooper. It was so slick, that when he stopped, he started sliding sideways down the crown of the road, all the way into the snow drift!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Yeah, our snow, when we get it, is wet and heavy. I bought winter dedicated snows this year also based on the newer info coming out that they work better in wet/cold conditions too. Plus, my 330 is running summer performance tires whereas I had all seasons on my last two 540's, although they were worthless in the snow with those tires anyway.
Appreciate 0