E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What is a throttle motor?

10-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
ak335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

What is a throttle motor?

Well im dropping my car off today at the dealer, since they have to change the throttle motor, Well what is a throttle motor? what does it do? I also have alot of lag with my car, Is there any new software that they can update me to?
      10-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
E92_328i_Boston
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

It's probably the electronic motor that opens the throttle. Older cars had throttle bodies that were mechanically opened by a wire that pulled on a mechanism when you stepped on the accelerator. Our cars are fly(drive)-by-wire, which means the accelerator being depressed sends a signal to a motor that opens the throttle a specific amount, depending on how much you're pressing on it. Hope this helps.

-A

PS...Or I could be totally wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_328i_Boston View Post
It's probably the electronic motor that opens the throttle. Older cars had throttle bodies that were mechanically opened by a wire that pulled on a mechanism when you stepped on the accelerator. Our cars are fly(drive)-by-wire, which means the accelerator being depressed sends a signal to a motor that opens the throttle a specific amount, depending on how much you're pressing on it. Hope this helps.

-A

That's exactly what I was thinking
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
vadim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_328i_Boston View Post

-A

Correct. Although the link is not so direct - there are many variables that affect the throttle, the gas pedal position being just one of them. Throttle is controlled by an Engine Control Module which takes into account a lot of factors - the gas and the brake pedals' positions, the engine temperature, RPM, MAF sensor data, DSC/DTC data, and likely some more that I can not remember now.

But the throttle motor does exactly that - operates the throttle. You can hear it if you drive in lower gears slowly enough as not to generate too much road noise - if you gently press on the gas and then release, you should be able to hear the throttle motor buzz.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
E92_328i_Boston
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

Agreed - lots of factors contribute to the throttle's opening and closing.

-A
Appreciate 0