E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R Sport Springs and sports package shocks

09-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

H&R Sport Springs and sports package shocks

I was talking to a friend of mine last night and told him I bought the H&R Sport springs from TireRack. He says that he had problems with aftermarket sports springs on his Golf III a while back where he put the sports springs on stock shocks ruining his suspension completely.

Basically the sport springs would cause his stock shocks to compress to a point where they wouldn't have any more play room left causing extremely rough ride over pot holes and such. He tells me that he was advised at the time to change his stock shocks and instead of only getting the springs to get the whole kit (springs + shocks) to do it properly and not risk any issues.

How will the E90 sports package shocks behave with these H&R sports springs considering I don't upgrade my shocks to Koni or something...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Those who upgraded to Konis say there's a significant ride improvement. I haven't yet, and haven't had any issues yet. I probably will upgrade in the near future.
      09-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

ksfrogman, did you ever get a feeling that your shocks are getting compressed beyound their max compression point where they would literally go past their allowable play?? basically having them act as plain old iron rods...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
I personally had sport springs and thought it was great!! I never bottomed out on them at all! They make the ride sit perfect too! They were stiffer than OEM for sure but I then wanted to go lower and I new my wife would never ride in the car again with race springs so I bought the coilovers and its the best susspension ever know!!! these are the wifes words!!! WOW it feels like u just bought it off the lot and holy shit its slammed!
      09-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno
ksfrogman, did you ever get a feeling that your shocks are getting compressed beyound their max compression point where they would literally go past their allowable play?? basically having them act as plain old iron rods...
I never have felt like they were bottoming out, nor are they bouncy, so I assume they're doing what they're supposed to do. The Eibach Pro Kit springs are a little softer and almost (not quite though) as low. The sway bars really stiffen up the left-ride shock handling; for instance, when I go over a bump diagonally (say a speed bump), I can feel it much more as the car is less compliant and less forgiving in that regard only.