E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Take 2 from Vishnu: Tuning the 335i

09-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Red face Take 2 from Vishnu: Tuning the 335i

Here's were we left off last week:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30027

As stated in that link, the dyno results represented a partial tune. This was because we only had secondary control over boost targets and AFR targets. As of today, we now have full control over the boost control system. So in summary, here's what we got:

1) Full control over ignition timing (at all rpm/loads)
2) Full control over full throttle boost targets
3) Full control of partial throttle boost targets
4) Full control over atmosphere pressure compensations
5) Partial control over AFR targets

So, in a nutshell, we still have a little bit of work to do with respect to fuel control. I hope to have this sorted out within the next few days. The factory DME keeps the fuel control system in closed loop operation ALL THE TIME. It does NOT go open loop above a certain load and rpm. Needless to say, it's a bit tricky to get in control of. Fortunately, we recently finished a Honda application that relied on similar fuel control strategies. So we only have maybe 10% of work left before we can grab this DME by the scruff of its neck and make it do anything we want

So how is the car to drive now that we completely remapped the boost control system?

One word: Awesome

The BMW engineers tried to do what they can to make the 335i feel naturally aspirated. This meant that it limited boost at partial throttle. So at 1/2 throttle, you would only get 2-3psi of boost. And only at full throttle would you get a full 8-9psi. Yes, it felt very non-turbo like. But it sucked. It seemed as if they overcompensated and made partial throttle performance worse than a naturally aspirated V8 they were trying to emulate. So we fixed that. Now the car sees 7-8psi at 1/2 throttle and a full 11psi at full throttle. Much more "natural" feeling with much better throttle sensitivity/response. That was the thing that bugged me the most about the stock car. The throttle response felt very molasses-like. All the quick transients that you got out of, say an E46 M3, were dulled over. Yes, the stock car was pretty quick. But no, it didn't feel like it had a true high performance engine. Now it does. And it's a whole lot quicker as well

Boost taper. Before, we managed to eliminate the top-end boost taper. But without absolute full control over boost, we had to sacrifice low and midrange boost levels. Before, it would run ~9psi up to 5500prm, then 10psi up to 7000rpm, then back to 9psi by redline. How it holds a solid 11psi from 2000rpm to fuel cut. Of course, this might not be ideal. When we tune it on the dyno, we may have to contour the boost profile a bit. But right now it's nice to know that we have the control that we've always wanted.

Transient Boost response at higher engine speeds. In the stock car, getting off and back on the throttle at higher engine speeeds (say above 5000rpm) resulted in a very slight lag. As if it took a few heartbeats before the DME responded to the demand for boost by closing the normally open wastgates (yeah, you read that right... they are normally OPEN unlike every other boost control system I've seen). Fortunately, we fixed that issue by making the wastegates close earlier in anticipation of a boost demand. So, in essence, as soon as you get back into the throttle, the boost pressure is there. Instantly. Bam. No waiting.

Well, that's it for now. Once we get full control over fuel, we'll dyno the car and post up the results. But so far, the car is a beast. It lights up the tires with great vehemence at the top of 1st gear and just after the shift into 2nd car. And it pulls hard throughout the entire rev range... right up to fuel cut.

FWIW, we've managed to put over 2000 very hard miles on the car so far in the last 10 days. And we started tuning it with just 50 miles on the clock. Everything seems to be rock solid. More work and testing ahead...

Cheers,
shiv
Vishnu Performance Systems
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Man, this has me excited. My one complaint was that rather molassed like throttle response. I'm eagerly awaiting more.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Great work shiv!!! It sounds like yall are really going to be able to pull top performance out of this car while keeping it durable.

Out of curiousity what are the specs of your car? Auto/Man/options etc. Thanks again for all the great work! I can't wait to see it when its done and dynoed!

Mat
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
boosted
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i x-drive 8AT

Great. I wish you guys success and make E92 crowd happy.

Also a suggestion. When you ready to post final Dynojet results, please include SAE correction as well .

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP

great work again cant wait to see the full results! but few questions:

-did you see any problems with overheating? ive heard of few instances where the 335 were overheating and with the extra stress on the engine i was wondering if you saw anything out of norm?

-and will the "chip" be flashable or will it be a piggy back. and can/will you be able to change it back to stock for times you need to take your car back to the dealership?

keep up the good work.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
PresaMat-- Our car is a 6sp manual with sport package. It's also silver with red interior

boosted-- No prob. The dynojet we use reads considerably lower than other dynojets. With their SAE correction, we had some runs in the 267-269 range. Plus, I've never found dynojets SAE correction to work well with turbo cars. It tends to tends to overstate power when it is cold. I've always found Standard corrections to be more reasonable when dynojets are concerned. I've used it for over 10 years and it's hard to teach a middle-aged dog new tricks.

BiggieJ-- No overheating problems so far. Then again, I haven't done any Autobahn tested. And yes, the Xede is fully removable and unlike reflashes, it will leave no sign (eletronic or otherwise) of any sort of tampering/modifying. And you don't even have to unplug the ECU (which resets it) to do so. We're aiming for installation and removal to take no longer than 15 minutes each.

-shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 09-23-2006 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
boosted
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i x-drive 8AT

Gotcha shiv and sounds good on install/removal time .
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

very good info u got there!
wish to hear more from you!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
jmlenz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i sport

Holy Sh%*! you guys are gonna have 335 guys lining up in droves for these things. If these or future power packages can get this beast in the mid 4's 0-60 youll definitely change many minds about picking up that new V8 M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Got-BMW?
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

So what did it dyno on the same dyno as before?

How much boost will the stock Turbo's handle?

When are you guys putting race gas in it for kicks (to see what she'll do)?
      09-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Shiv, when I get a 335 next spring when my current lease is up, you have my money for this setup. Your knowledge and expertise is a breath of fresh air in BMW tuning, where normally its a bunch of hacks.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-BMW?
So what did it dyno on the same dyno as before?

How much boost will the stock Turbo's handle?

When are you guys putting race gas in it for kicks (to see what she'll do)?
The stock dyno runs as well as prelim tuning results can be found here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30027

We've run the turbos as high as 20psi (by accident, of course) in the midrange. By redline, the most boost we've seen so far is 11psi. This is with the stock exhaust. Things may change when we get rid of some exhaust restrictions. The turbos are small, however, so don't expect any Supra-like results without big turbo upgrades ($$ and laggy). We're going to try to extract as much power as possible while still keeping or improving upon drivability. The engine is high-ish compression so I don't foresee running much more than 11-12psi on pump gas. On race gas, we can certainly squeeze things harder but I suspect we'll be limited by max airflow limits with the standard turbos. It'll pick up some sweet torque though.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #13
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

You know, I might be in the minority (I doubt it though), but I'd rather have you work towards an end result that made for a car with better throttle response, better high end, and maybe only 15-20% more overall power, as long as it's nice and reliable on pump gas. It seems like that's the direction you're headed in.

I am sure there are guys that want 700rwhp on 100 octane, but that's just not my thing. I'll order the ECU flash that gives me a little more torque, less throttle delay, and less drop off at the redline but is perfectly safe.

Just imo, of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
carbo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6m

Forget about the 335..................how about a simple remap of the 325....crap, your gonna make me trade up aren't you.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #15
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
You know, I might be in the minority (I doubt it though), but I'd rather have you work towards an end result that made for a car with better throttle response, better high end, and maybe only 15-20% more overall power, as long as it's nice and reliable on pump gas. It seems like that's the direction you're headed in.

I am sure there are guys that want 700rwhp on 100 octane, but that's just not my thing. I'll order the ECU flash that gives me a little more torque, less throttle delay, and less drop off at the redline but is perfectly safe.

Just imo, of course.
I'll probably end up making several different Xede maps for different octanes and with different hp/torque curves/boost mapping. Users can pick the one that suits their needs the best. All you'll need to interface with the Xede is a standard laptop with usb or serial port. Uploading maps into the Xede take about 15 sec. The Xede can also hold 2 maps and the user can toggle between the two on-the-fly with a simple dash mounted switch.

In 10 years, we have never provided mapping that is unreliable or disregards component longevity. We're not going to start now.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 08:04 PM   #16
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus

Just imo, of course.
I agree with this.

I wouldn't buy the chip for speed or power gains, because honestly, stock is fast enough for me.

I would, however, definitely buy a chip that improved throttle response, and made things a little more interesting up top. And keeping the power gains within a reasonable limit would at least partly ensure some driveability and reliability from the stock equipment.
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Guy #1: "Just make it verk or you vill be verking over at VW!"
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #17
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
I'll probably end up making several different Xede maps for different octanes and with different hp/torque curves/boost mapping. Users can pick the one that suits their needs the best. All you'll need to interface with the Xede is a standard laptop with usb or serial port. Uploading maps into the Xede take about 15 sec. The Xede can also hold 2 maps and the user can toggle between the two on-the-fly with a simple dash mounted switch.

Cheers,
shiv
Very, very cool.
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Guy #1: "Just make it verk or you vill be verking over at VW!"
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #18
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaintmepunkxx
Very, very cool.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #19
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
The Xede can also hold 2 maps and the user can toggle between the two on-the-fly with a simple dash mounted switch.
cool, we get our own M power button!

Last edited by Ryan@Motorwerks; 09-23-2006 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #20
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
shiv, how are those stock turbos looking to you experts? I know those are two tiny snails but would they be able to hold more boost pressure? I see you guys are trying to get it going anywhere from 11psi to 7psi, which I assume it is in a good reliable range without compromising performance. I really like the idea on how you guys aren't really going out for all out RWHP monster figures, but improving throttle response with safe amount of boost upgrade.

Can't wait to see the dyno. with a slight more extreme tuning, good bye V8 M3.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 10:33 PM   #21
RetroGamerJP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

I am currently building an alter in my living room in honor of the Vishnu gods. It also has a calendar on it so I can count the days til they release this bad boy.

Hats off to them for doing this and keeping us constantly informed.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #22
klaxian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i cp, 04 Honda S2000

I too have been following these threads religiously. My 335 is in transit now. If a simple, 15 minute upgrade can do what you claim, I'll be all over it. The most important thing for me is to stay within safe limits for the car - which it seems like you're focused on. Is there a web site where we can see what you've done so far? Also, when do you think this will be ready to order? Thanks!
Appreciate 0