E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Upgrade plans, money to spend - currently have Dinan Stage II

10-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
Kurfer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Coupe

Upgrade plans, money to spend - currently have Dinan Stage II

I set aside 6k to upgrade to Dinan stage III but after reading the current reviews and lack of 1/4 and dyno runs I can't trust that the 6k will be a wise investment or even net any improvements for me.

My current setup: 2008 E92 - Dinan Stage II (rev 2) (car has factory oil cooler)
Current best dyno: 311whp

My new plans:

Install the Dinan FMIC and upgrade to Dinan Stage 2.5
Install the JB+ with the BMS setting for Dinan Stage II.
Install AE catless exhaust
Install AR catted DP

My goal: 360whp

Any other recommendations? I am not sure catted DP with the AE catless exhaust will net any horsepower gains at all with a Dinan tune. The information on this forum conflicts in the worst way. Some people say down pipes are good for 25-30whp (seems too good to be true) and some people are getting nothing from their down pipes (why bother paying the $$ if this is the case?).

Any recommendations? I know I will probably get flamed for the JB+ on top of Dinan and I am not completely sure I want to do that yet.
      10-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I know Terry has done some special JB+ chips to put on top of flash tunes in the past. Personally, for 6k, I think you're going in the wrong direction.

6k....

1. JB3 (~500 used)
2. IC (~1k new)
3. DP (~1k catted?)
4. Exhaust (1.5k)
5. METH! (Under 1k)

You could keep going from there. I'm pretty sure the DPs and Exhaust not being from Dinnan will negate their warranty. I think spending 6k with them is just sinking money into a bottomless pit looking for results you wont see from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The downpipes (ar design) are a great mod with a tune. Really helps IMO and I think can easily add 20 hp/tq with a tune. As for the FMIC the Helix intercooler is at a great price and yields great performance gains and is significantly more cost effective then the Dinan Intercooler.

I have a few customers running the JB+ with the Dinan tune. Have you thought about switching to something like the JB3?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I agree with all the above. Putting anything else other than Dinan parts will void their warranty. i askded them myself. If you do the above suggested mods you will more than hit your goal.
      10-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Kurfer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I know Terry has done some special JB+ chips to put on top of flash tunes in the past. Personally, for 6k, I think you're going in the wrong direction.

6k....

1. JB3 (~500 used)
2. IC (~1k new)
3. DP (~1k catted?)
4. Exhaust (1.5k)
5. METH! (Under 1k)

You could keep going from there. I'm pretty sure the DPs and Exhaust not being from Dinnan will negate their warranty. I think spending 6k with them is just sinking money into a bottomless pit looking for results you wont see from them.
I did mention that I wont be going with the Dinan Stage III, I feel it's a waste of money.

I don't want to remove the Dinan, once I do I am positive that BMW NA wont start honoring my existing warranty and Dinan wont have anything to do with me either. I'll be stuck in no man's land.

I'll just take my chances with the downpipes and if they deny then I was fucked anyway.

I have heard good things with the JB+ on top of the Dinan tune.

Also, the only reason I would go with the Dinan IC is because my dealership will install it and they do great work. I just don't trust the local speed shops to install an aftermarket IC. They act like my BMW is a spaceship and that worries me.
      10-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfer View Post
I set aside 6k to upgrade to Dinan stage III but after reading the current reviews and lack of 1/4 and dyno runs I can't trust that the 6k will be a wise investment or even net any improvements for me.

My current setup: 2008 E92 - Dinan Stage II (rev 2) (car has factory oil cooler)
Current best dyno: 311whp

My new plans:

Install the Dinan FMIC and upgrade to Dinan Stage 2.5
Install the JB+ with the BMS setting for Dinan Stage II.
Install AE catless exhaust
Install AR catted DP

My goal: 360whp

Any other recommendations? I am not sure catted DP with the AE catless exhaust will net any horsepower gains at all with a Dinan tune. The information on this forum conflicts in the worst way. Some people say down pipes are good for 25-30whp (seems too good to be true) and some people are getting nothing from their down pipes (why bother paying the $$ if this is the case?).

Any recommendations? I know I will probably get flamed for the JB+ on top of Dinan and I am not completely sure I want to do that yet.
Please don't stack tunes. You will be disappointed at the results.. And you don't need $6000 to make a solid and reliable 360whp. Feel free to PM me if you need a proper upgrade path that wont lead you towards at a dead end in the near future.

Cheers,
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Kurfer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
I agree with all the above. Putting anything else other than Dinan parts will void their warranty. i askded them myself. If you do the above suggested mods you will more than hit your goal.
Ahh I figured there was maybe a chance they would still honor depending on the situation...bummer.
      10-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfer View Post
Ahh I figured there was maybe a chance they would still honor depending on the situation...bummer.
If you stay with their parts they will. Before I got my JB3 I talked to them and it was a concern for me as well at first. Once I heard that I would be restricted to their parts and started seeing how much I would have to spend I went with the Jb3. I did not want to be restricted to using one parts company.
      10-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Everybody is extremely correct. In the end, you can only use their parts. They WILL ABSOLUTELY void your warranty if you do the DPs. So if thats something you're looking for, I suggest just going straight in a different direction from the get-go and ditching all together. A full JB3/meth or procede/meth + DP, exhaust, IC, intake, etc. will net you the same warranty related results as showing up with the Dinnan + DPs.
Appreciate 0