BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

10-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

BMS 128 Tuner tester needed

We need one more beta tester please contact for more info.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Andrew, what type of testing are you referring to? Will you be doing ECU tuning?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

No just need you to install the new Bms tune and report back. Pm me fore more details
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

128 Tune?

Hey 128ers - I have responded to Andrew as follows:

Hi Andrew. I'd be willing to install your tune and give detailed feedback. I am in CT - how can we work that out? Rather than merely reporting seat-of-the-pants feel, I will conduct before/after timed roll-on accel #'s in different gears and in different RPM ranges, and give feedback on driveability also. My own experience is with mapping/tuning Harley Davidson FI control modules, where I have found these types of results can be of great use - equal to dyno results. Now obviuosly, to develope your tune you must have been working with an N52 of your own, correct? What have you seen so far, good or otherwise? Is the purpose of finding an outside tester to give an unbiased 3rd party opinion? Look forward to hearing from you soon.

I will hopefully be PMing with him and will report back ASAP.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fireflyer239; 10-27-2009 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

Pmed you back just to clarify this is not our tune it is a BMS (burger motorsports).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes Andrew, understood. I spent some time last nite looking at the install videos for the JB3, and the online (PDF) install instructions for the pinout versions to assess difficulty level. I went to the E90 boards and looked at the dyno charts as well as the communications from Terry at BMS to the board members there, regarding the use of this beta version on the 328. I have confidence in Terry and his company. I'm on this like white on rice - I have a couple questions I'd like to PM or call you with. I'll do that right away.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Andrew, pasting here a copy of the email I sent Terry this morning. Again, this is no attempt to "go around" you, just doing my job as an individual. Please feel free to respond to any one of the questions here or in a PM. Looking forward to uh...moving forward! Here's my email to him:

Hello Terry,

My name is Ken, I’m here in CT. I have responded to Andrew at EMS in FL regarding his request for a 128i beta tester for your tune. I have several questions:

1) Is the one he’s selling me a fully developed/latest version that’s production ready?

2) Will it be shipped from you? (I intend to go through Andrew)

3) Will this be identical to the tune for which dyno results have been published on the E90 boards?

4) Will I be provided full install instructions specifically for this unit, since they are not yet available in your support section? (Very important!)

5) How seamless will the operation be? I am only interested in this tune if you can tell me it will be a “Set it and forget it” / “Once and done” affair. I need this to be unnoticed by the dealer during my routine maintenance, and “invisible” in its day-to-day operation. Very important! Would it need to be removed for any service reason? (For any warranty claim, I understand that’s a given)

6) Might there be updates, and how would I receive/implement those?

7) Has this been tested in combination with any CAI? Will it be able to adapt?

8) I would strongly prefer to have any necessary support be available through you personally. Will this be possible?

9) Will I have any satisfaction recourse you’ll back up, or will that be the sole discretion of Andrew at EMS?

Please be aware Terry, there is no intention to “go around” Andrew, and I’d love to help him (and you) create a market for this product. I also intend to purchase other products from him. EMS seems like a great biz, they have a good website, and they’re on the East Coast as am I. Simply put though, I need these answers from you only, before I can proceed.

As I have mentioned to Andrew and to the 1Addicts forum, my experience is in mapping/tuning Harley Davidson fuel injection control modules. I intend to conduct before/after roll-on accel times in different gears and in various RPM ranges, and share the results with forum members, as well as drivability impressions. I prefer to provide something quantifiable that other prospective modders can sink their teeth into. My expectations are very reasonable, by the way! (Just hoping for a little torque bump and maybe a bit more pull).

Your detailed answers to these questions are appreciated and will be shared openly with Andrew and forum members. Thanks for your help, and I hope I can be of value as a beta user on this end.

Warm Regards,

Ken

Andrew - talk to you very soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Andrew, pasting here a copy of the email I sent Terry this morning. Again, this is no attempt to "go around" you, just doing my job as an individual. Please feel free to respond to any one of the questions here or in a PM. Looking forward to uh...moving forward! Here's my email to him:

Hello Terry,

My name is Ken, I’m here in CT. I have responded to Andrew at EMS in FL regarding his request for a 128i beta tester for your tune. I have several questions:

1) Is the one he’s selling me a fully developed/latest version that’s production ready?

YES

2) Will it be shipped from you? (I intend to go through Andrew)

Shipped from me

3) Will this be identical to the tune for which dyno results have been published on the E90 boards?

Yes do not confuse it with the LET Flash

4) Will I be provided full install instructions specifically for this unit, since they are not yet available in your support section? (Very important!)

Will know when the units arrive on tue or wed. You will have phone customer support

5) How seamless will the operation be? I am only interested in this tune if you can tell me it will be a “Set it and forget it” / “Once and done” affair. I need this to be unnoticed by the dealer during my routine maintenance, and “invisible” in its day-to-day operation. Very important! Would it need to be removed for any service reason? (For any warranty claim, I understand that’s a given)

It will be hidden just as a jb3 is. Once the map you have selected it will stay until unless the battery is removed

6) Might there be updates, and how would I receive/implement those?

Info not available yet

7) Has this been tested in combination with any CAI? Will it be able to adapt?

YES

8) I would strongly prefer to have any necessary support be available through you personally. Will this be possible?

Countless threads of terry going above and beyond on customer service

9) Will I have any satisfaction recourse you’ll back up, or will that be the sole discretion of Andrew at EMS?

Please be aware Terry, there is no intention to “go around” Andrew, and I’d love to help him (and you) create a market for this product. I also intend to purchase other products from him. EMS seems like a great biz, they have a good website, and they’re on the East Coast as am I. Simply put though, I need these answers from you only, before I can proceed.

As I have mentioned to Andrew and to the 1Addicts forum, my experience is in mapping/tuning Harley Davidson fuel injection control modules. I intend to conduct before/after roll-on accel times in different gears and in various RPM ranges, and share the results with forum members, as well as drivability impressions. I prefer to provide something quantifiable that other prospective modders can sink their teeth into. My expectations are very reasonable, by the way! (Just hoping for a little torque bump and maybe a bit more pull).

Your detailed answers to these questions are appreciated and will be shared openly with Andrew and forum members. Thanks for your help, and I hope I can be of value as a beta user on this end.

Warm Regards,

Ken

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
looks interesting
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you Andrew and Terry for lending the confidence to proceed - I will place my order with you tomorrow, Andrew. Might do the carbon kidneys and spoiler at the same time, but in any case we'll get the tune rolling.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

Great can't wait to hear your review !
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Being shipped from Andrew @ EMS, will do some baseline roll-on accel's first, then get it installed and compare. Hope to have something to report here within 7 - 10 days. Expectations are realistic, looking for a little extra kick and throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

Did you get it yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #14
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes thanks, got it from you within 2 days! Just waiting for Terry to post the install instructions on his site. He said he's have them up by Monday but he probably got busy. Checked out the video for the JB3 install so I'm sure it will be no prob, I've done stuff like this many times before.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #15
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep

the install is exactly like the jb3 it should be all you need... one difference was on the 335 there is two sensors to unclip and on 328 there is only one on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
1ntense_Rocket
1ntense_Rocket
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i sport

can't wait for an update from this!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Subscribed! I hope it's also applicable to Aus-spec 125i's...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

Same, there's an Aussie member on here putting one on his 125i, will be interested to hear how it goes.
      10-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntense_Rocket View Post
can't wait for an update from this!!
Seriously going to try to get it in tomorrow! Between being super busy with work, kids, and some extra thrown in this past weekend, well...yeah I know I know...

I just need to set aside that hour!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #20
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Seriously going to try to get it in tomorrow! Between being super busy with work, kids, and some extra thrown in this past weekend, well...yeah I know I know...

I just need to set aside that hour!
we all waiting for your review

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #21
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Do it man do it! We are all waiting for your review! This is a big excitement in the community
      10-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #22
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Baseline done, now install!

Went out this morning and got baseline #'s. I decided to keep things as simple but accurate as possible, so I am using 3rd gear pulls only, from 2,000 to 6,000 rpm, starting at the same place on the same road each time. It is slightly uphill, but that doesn't matter since I'm only seeking consistency. I did 7 pulls and threw out the fastest and slowest, then averaged the other 5. Those 5 were 11.38, 11.31, 11.28, 11.34, and 11.25. Wish those were 1/4 mile times lol. Anyway, this gives an average of about 11.31 sec. (The ones I threw out were 11.21 and 11.44 which, when figured in, hardly change the average at all anyway) For the record it's 50 degrees and raining (Yuk!), and I'm carrying about a quarter tank of gas.

Now, I know this tune I'm installing will give me the ability to turn off all maps, but I wanted to get my baseline before even putting it in the car. The other thing is that there is supposedly a "learning" period for the ECU of a couple days, as with BMS's other tunes offered for the 135, so I'll give initial impressions and then re-test. Okay, I have 2 appointments and should be doing the install this afternoon.

I appreciate y'alls patience while I've tried to find the time during a busy period! Didn't know we say "Y'alls" in Connecticut, did ya? -Ken
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread