E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > I Think My M Sport Sound Quality is poor!

10-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
AutoBrite
The Detailer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Arrow I Think My M Sport Sound Quality is poor!

Guys

I used to have a Vectra C SRI CDTI on a 54 plate and the sound system in that car was really good. Now compared to my new baby 320D M Sport i dont think its really that good! I noticed this on my way home tonight with my favorite U2 song on 'One' What a song!!!

Without changing head set what can i do to make it sound better??? Or can i get a custom fit head unit and new speakers??

Any advice would help?

Regards Mark
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
hades
Rep
Drives: 320d SE Touring

Well there's loads of options, the two most popular being the Alpine and Blaupunkt kits (look on the UK general technical forum, you'll see long posts about both). A fundamental problem is the lack of any tweeter in the system - solve by fitting either a separate tweeter (several posts on this - they fit in the "sail panel" on the front doors. The other option if you don't want to alter the trim is a decent 4" co-axial speaker. Another problem is the poor factory amplification that also doesn't have decent cross-over filtering.

The cheapest upgrade IMHO is to sound deaden the enclosures for the factory under-seat subwoofers keeping; tightens up the bass, makes it more musical, all for about £10 of dynamat/damplifier/skins sound deadening. I've done it to one side only so far - doesn't transform everything, but is a definite improvement. Combine it with some form of tweeters and decent amplification, it'll add up to nice sound!

I'm personally trying a personal approach (different to most) with our recently aquired 320d SE Touring - Hertz DCX100 co-axials in the doors, plenty of sound deadening, and a 4 channel diamond amp to drive the subs and front door speakers properly with decent cross-over filtering. Give me a couple of weeks, I'll report the full set of results, but the couple of small bits I've done so far are very promising.

I wouldn't bother with changing the head unit personally, too many things link in through it (steering wheel controls, trip computer, reversing sensors etc) - and most people are happy with the results given suitable amp and speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
Menno11
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
I've added a sub and amp in the boot. Definitely enhances the low range of the sound. But I agree that splits are required in the front for better high end sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Well there's loads of options, the two most popular being the Alpine and Blaupunkt kits (look on the UK general technical forum, you'll see long posts about both). A fundamental problem is the lack of any tweeter in the system - solve by fitting either a separate tweeter (several posts on this - they fit in the "sail panel" on the front doors. The other option if you don't want to alter the trim is a decent 4" co-axial speaker. Another problem is the poor factory amplification that also doesn't have decent cross-over filtering.

The cheapest upgrade IMHO is to sound deaden the enclosures for the factory under-seat subwoofers keeping; tightens up the bass, makes it more musical, all for about £10 of dynamat/damplifier/skins sound deadening. I've done it to one side only so far - doesn't transform everything, but is a definite improvement. Combine it with some form of tweeters and decent amplification, it'll add up to nice sound!

I'm personally trying a personal approach (different to most) with our recently aquired 320d SE Touring - Hertz DCX100 co-axials in the doors, plenty of sound deadening, and a 4 channel diamond amp to drive the subs and front door speakers properly with decent cross-over filtering. Give me a couple of weeks, I'll report the full set of results, but the couple of small bits I've done so far are very promising.

I wouldn't bother with changing the head unit personally, too many things link in through it (steering wheel controls, trip computer, reversing sensors etc) - and most people are happy with the results given suitable amp and speakers.
From where will you take the signal for your amp? Does the amp you're intending to use have high level (speaker) inputs? If so, presumably you could use the same method for the rear outputs to source an input for a dedicated boot-mounted driver to assist the underseat subs in achieving some real lows?

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0