E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > exhaust leaks

09-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

exhaust leaks

Hi guys,
I suspect I have an exhaust leak and my alignment tech said so too. It makes tsk tsk tsk sound during startup/idle or with easy throttle. I suspected it leaks at the gaskets between OEM catback and AR downpipes. I brought it to a shop and had them tightened the bolts but still have that sound. Can I double stacked the gasket at the flanges? Is there a way I to test to see where the leak is? Some people said use a rag and plug up the mufflers. What if the car dies when I plug it? Will it affects anything? TIA
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
Hi guys,
I suspect I have an exhaust leak and my alignment tech said so too. It makes tsk tsk tsk sound during startup/idle or with easy throttle. I suspected it leaks at the gaskets between OEM catback and AR downpipes. I brought it to a shop and had them tightened the bolts but still have that sound. Can I double stacked the gasket at the flanges? Is there a way I to test to see where the leak is? Some people said use a rag and plug up the mufflers. What if the car dies when I plug it? Will it affects anything? TIA
if it's leaking between the dp's and exhaust, u can sometimes feel it with ur hand while the car's running. Just be careful while ur under the car with the car on. Place ur hand near the junction and have someone rev the engine. Move ur hand all the way around the flanges to see if u feel any air escaping. Also look for black soot on the exhaust itself... u might have a leak somewhere else down the pipe... good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
if it's leaking between the dp's and exhaust, u can sometimes feel it with ur hand while the car's running. Just be careful while ur under the car with the car on. Place ur hand near the junction and have someone rev the engine. Move ur hand all the way around the flanges to see if u feel any air escaping. Also look for black soot on the exhaust itself... u might have a leak somewhere else down the pipe... good luck!
thanks alex
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

u can also pressurize the exhaust and fine leaks easily that way. Dont have to run the car and just use soapy water and spray all over the flanges. You'll find it very easily that way. You dont need much pressure either.
      09-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

there were 3 leaks at the welds where i had the 2ndary cats swapped
Appreciate 0